Frugal Village Forums banner

Our 2012 Self Image Challenge

181K views 5K replies 54 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
I just LOVE you gals!!!!! This thread is THE best thread on FV.... I think!

Anyone can join in the fun...we welcome all but beware...we are a chatty group! :laugh:

2012 is going to be a GREAT year!

Let's get started! :)

#928 ·
Good morning ladies. It's been a wet and blustery weekend and this morning it's the same. We stayed home Saturday and I didn't accomplish much due to the weather and power outages. Yesterday was church and our goddaughter's birthday party. I felt bad her, she wanted a sunny day where she could play outside with all her friends but it wasn't meant to be. Her mom implemented plan B and the kids were down in the basement playing Wii games. Everyone was making the most of the situation.

Our lab has to go to the vet this morning for his annual checkup. We will be seeing a new vet since we moved.

I need to take my shower. I hope everyone has a good day.

#930 ·
Good morning! Not many people here this morning. Where are you DebC? You're usually in here before now.

Nuisance, sorry that your dh didn't get any helpful info for you.I would have been disappointed too. I think men just aren't concerned with the same types of things that we are. I can't imagine making such a major move. Sounds scary, but also exciting. Too bad you can't go and check things out in person.

Chilly and foggy here QM, but nothing like what you've got. I'd really like to have some "real" winter weather....seems kind of weird without it. I like winter, but really hate the heat and humidity in summer plus the mosquitoes will carry you away after they suck you dry. It's horrible here. I tend to stick to the house as much as possible in summer.

I'm irritated with oldest ds because I'm sure that he's the culprit although I haven't asked him yet. I bought some lunch meats for ds10's lunches 'cause he likes turkey sandwiches and I was going to use the turkey and ham that I bought on sale for a sandwich bar night on Wednesday. I just started doing this a few weeks ago and everyone here loves it! I buy meat, cheese, banana peppers, nice sub rolls, olives, chips, stuff like that, and we've got this tasty oil and herb mixture like they use in sub shops. Anyway everyone makes their sub like they want it and it's been a hit. I just looked in the fridge and all that's left of two 1 lb. packages is about three or four slices of turkey! He ate all of it! I hate it when someone here does that without asking. Two freaking pounds of meat? Who does that? Dh wouldn't have done it. Middle son doesn't just eat lunch meat and won't even eat it for school lunches just the sandwich bar. Youngest ds MIGHT have had a couple of pieces. I didn't eat any. That only leaves oldest ds. Dh doesn't get paid again til next week and I have about $15 left to buy whatever we run out of like milk and bread. I didn't want to have to buy meal stuff. He really needs to get off his butt and make his own food money or contribute to our food money. As much as he's cost us over the last few years due to his "issues", it's the least he can do. My Mom would have a fit if we expected him to contribute anything around here. Of course she and my Dad didn't make my brother EVER do anything either. He sat on his *ss and I had to do chores, but I won't go there. That still ticks me off!

I feel like I try and try to get us ahead and get thwarted every step I make! I know that the kids don't understand, but they need to learn to 'cause this is the new reality! It isn't going back to like it once was. It's a hard lesson for kids to learn, but I didn't make it this way. Now ds is up and wants to argue about it...says we never cook around here. Yeah, right! I cook every day unless my parents cook for us. If they'd eat everything I cook, then maybe they wouldn't need to snack all day and eat everything in the house! Ugh! I cooked some sausage for him for breakfast since I cooked a piece for myself, but do you think I get a thank-you for that? Nope. I think tomorrow he can find his own breakfast.

Well, I'll be back later...

#933 ·
Good morning!

OM--prayers for you and your husband.

Val--prayers for you Aunt, as well! I know what you mean about food disappearing! In my house, it's my DD (age 13). She's been like that since she was little. We used to have to put a lock on our downstairs fridge, or she would drink all the pop that was in it. She's getting better, though, but I still have to tell her what she can't touch! LOL

Polly--I'm with everyone else. Maybe your DH should just put what is relevant to the job he's applying for on the resume?

QM--great job on the weight loss! You mentioned buying beef a while back. We do that too. This year, we paid $3.00/pound. I still think it works out cheaper than the grocery store, and the quality is so much better. Made a roast last night, and it was delicious!

FW--sorry about the way your DH is acting. I'm sure he'll see that what you're doing is to benefit everyone! Love how Mackey has to be hand-fed! :laugh: My dog, Thor, is so dainty when you feed him by hand. I think he knows how big he is, and that he has to be extra-gentle.

Madhen--I enjoy your blog so much! I love the puppy hideaway! The place where we got our dog had some pictures on Facebook yesterday of a new batch of puppies born on Christmas Day. They are all named after Crayola colours. They are a Hound/Pit Bull mix, and are absolutely adorable! I wanted to adopt them all!

Hugs and waves to everyone else! :cowwave:

It's warming up again. Today should be around -10C, which is much better than -40! Dh is off this week, as he leaves next week for 2 months. He went in this morning to clear up his emails and stuff, but should be home soon.

I need to bake some bread today, and some banana muffins. I have a bowl full of black bananas that need using in the worst way!

I said about a week or so ago that I was going to stop eating peanut butter. Well, since then, I've only had it maybe 3 times. The rest of the time, I have cereal for breakfast. Grown-up cereal, I might add! :laugh:
I also did a hot-oil treatment on my hair yesterday. I think it felt softer, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm sure I have to do it a few times before there's a noticeable difference.

Well, better go mix my bread! Have a great day!

#934 ·
Good Morning everyone!! Just a quick check in since I want to get out the door as early as possible today - list is longer than my arm - hmm - think I need to shift my priorities because I am not willing to give up on my sleep!!

Have a great day everyone - breathe deeply - it really helps - unless you hae bronchitis (now where did that come from?)

.........bbl...........

#935 ·
MM-good luck on your list
Madkat-he is still still only 9 mo. I love the way he is so sweet about it. The only thing I don't like is how he gets his feeling hurt so easily. Just like a boxer/great Dane though.

Val-who would,my Ds except he would leave 1/2 a piece! The hungry takes over the common sense. We do the sub thing in the summer a lot.

Got myself together and cleaned up DD's new and old sewing machine. Soon the girl better use one of them.lol The sewing area inches towards completion.
Raining like crazy here. Just sick of it! Where is winter? Better not be snowing in May!
Madhen-have to check out your blog sooon!.

#936 ·
Popping to say hi. I'm pretty "snowed under" at work. Deadline is get so close. I'd like to ask for healing prayers for my mom if possible. She had out patient surgery this morning. Everything went well, but its still surgery. KWIM? I'm pretty exhausted from the "waiting". Isn't that the craziest part of having to go to the hospital. Its completely & totally exhausting. Anyway, I'm trying to get in a few hours at work before calling it a day. Gotta push some of these papers around before they multiply.

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start. Sending positive thoughts & prayers to everyone.

Reactions: valerian
#937 ·
Today I...

Cast on a new sweater. For me. I'm completely ignoring all my projects that I need to finish, things I was supposed to do for someone else, this that or the other thing. And I'm going to fully immerse myself in a beautiful sweater for no reason other than I WANT to.

Raveled herePattern here

Can you blame me? It's awesome. Gorgeous, and I don't care that I already have two half finished sweaters on the needles. This one was just begging me to knit it.

I'm actually wearing a hand knitted sweater while I knit it. And hand knitted socks. Few things make me more proud than my knitting :) (Parker doesn't count. He started saying I love you the other day, and...yeah I'm a big puddle.)

I haven't read everything, Im sorry :( Between being sick and taking care of a sick little man I'm just not spending much time reading anything right now. I'll catch up eventually! Love you all, prayers and hugs to everyone!

#938 ·
Good afternoon ladies! I'm feeling a bit better today. I went to the post office and ran to the grocery and it about did me in though, so I'm relaxing on the couch. I gave the dogs a marrow bone, so they are enjoying their treat. So sorry to hear about everyone's difficulties with their DH. I'm like Madhen, I left mine about 7 years ago and never looked back. He would be shocked to see the person I have become as far as spending or lack of spending goes. Man, I can't seem to get warm today, I'm going to go make myself a cup of tea and snuggle under a blanket for a bit. Hugs and prayers to all!

#940 ·
Thanks Madhen:) Not the same color as the original pattern, mine is "antique" grey cascade ecological wool. You can kind of see it in the first link, on myravelry. (If you have an account I guess) I love the color, Ive had the yarn a while. One of those waiting for the perfect project kinds of things :)

#941 ·
I have two sweaters like that. One, I have the yarn for, and I ought to start it, but some weird primal fear that I won't like it and my dream will be dashed, upon its completion, keeps me from starting. The other, I just haven't found "the" yarn for it yet. I want a sport weight yarn in just the perfect shade of true red.

#942 ·
AP-if you could make that sweater you should feel very accomplished as it looks skilled to me. I love that color. And that style is definately one I like. (FYI my bday is next month-FW pouts in advance of the NO!)

Tervs-Got your note,thank you. It is definately a tea day here in good old MI.

Finished cleaning my new sewing machine now. Still have to find a needle and see if DD's feet fit. The manual I downloaded said it would.

JanieD-prayers for your moms recovery.

#943 ·
hugs all AP that sweater is impressive. I would blow my frugal budget on it..lol
hugs to all and prayers
grandma is in the hospital with pancreaitis ...worried about her. hubby is in the dog house he is trying to get out but I am not ready to forgive him. swears he didn't cheat and told me were he was Friday with his friend anthony trying to get him to come back to work. I believe that but still not happy.. so it goes day to day.... I told my best friend and she went balistic and is ready to kill him she treats her husband like shi* admittedly . he humps up and takes it. i treat mine like a king and he treats me like this... I am being polite but not lovey dovey don't have it in me...try to check in tomorrow...
UNI your daughter is till on my prayer list hugs

#944 ·
Don't have a lot to say today...feeling really yucky...sick headache all day (actually I've had it for three days) and I vomited earlier. Waves of nausea just kept rolling over me! Ugh! I took some migraine med, but I think I vomited it up. Sipping on ginger ale now...

#947 ·
Evening all! Very windy and gloomy here today. Tried to pick up the back yard, but was just too icky out. DTE was supposed to come change my meter today as I have had NO electric usage since September. I was home all day, well except for about 20 minutes and didn't see them. It happened to a friend of mine and they never went back to collect, so I hope that happens, but I'm not counting on it.

AP - Pretty sweater! My mom knits a lot of sweaters and then decides she doesn't like them and won't wear them!

Val - I hope you feel better soon.

Oheoh - sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Madhen - you are a great knitter, I am sure it will turn out fabulous! I think you should go for it!

Well, I didn't do much these days that I've been home, it's been kinda nice, but tomorrow, I am going to have to get some stuff done. I'm going to go catch up on a couple of other threads, I hope everyone has a great night! Hugs and prayers to all!

#948 ·
Hi all,

This thread is so busy!!! It took me an hour to read everything since last night when I posted! :thud:

OM – sorry to hear about the Dh’s troubles. :hugz: Prayers for Grandma.

Tervs – I hope you are enjoying your time off and relaxing….re-charge those batteries and heal well! Kind of nice not using any electricity for the month! :laugh:

M25 – Good luck on the job hunting! :hugz:

FW - I hope you feel better soon. :hugz:

Polly – “FW, men have a way of peeing all over everything. Mine's real good at it sometimes. :hugz: I hope you feel better” ……. LOVE THIS!!! Mine is REALLY good at it too!

MM - …sometimes smacking is good! … :laugh:

Val – prayers for your Dad’s sister. I hope your headaches clear soon. :hugz:

Polly – thanks for the recipes using tofu…I am going to have to look into this stuff more. I have NEVER had it but surprisingly my Ds mentioned it at Christmas when he was at home and said he really liked it.

QM – congrats on the weight loss!!

Nuisance – I am so sorry he wasn’t more productive while he was there! It sounds like you have such a great handle on things that all will work out anyway but not without a few grey hairs for you though! :hugz:

Gapeach – :wave: Sorry to hear about the bad weather ruining your god-daughter’s birthday plans but I am sure she had a great day anyway.

Madkat – glad the hot oil treatment seems to be working. :hugz:

Janie – prayers for your Mom of course. :hugz:

AP – love that sweater!!! I hope you and Parker feel better soon. :hugz:

dean - :wave:

Been busy so not much time to spend on FV. My goal this year is to become extremely organized and I have been working on that quite a bit each day which doesn't leave me alot of time on the computer.

Still not smoking so I am proud of that. Working on a quilt for my Mom. Was thinking of giving it to her for Mother's Day but thinking I might change it to a Christmas gift. It is a huge project and there might not be much money around Christmas (always thinking ahead there might not be money... :laugh: ) so will probably save it for then instead.

Otherwise, hunkered down today after running errands...it was like we were having a blizzard and the roads were horrendous but tomorrow it is suppose to be starting to warm up.

Well off to do some more catching up...have a great night everyone! Hugs to all. :)

#950 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, but if DH left his education off his resume, he'd have to leave off the last 20 years of employment too. He could not have done any of his jobs, without the education. He's stuck putting everything in his resume. It is what it is.

I guess that's what you have to keep doing FW :hugz:

I think that's a great idea QM, sometimes it's really hard to balance calories.

Val, I hope you feel better. :hugz: If you removed your education, what kind of work would you apply for?

AP, that really is a beautiful sweater.

Janie :hugz: Aww you bet :hugz:

Kat- Enjoy your banana bread. Have a slice for me. :)

Thanks Maui, I'm breathing........

:wave2: MadHen

:hugz: O's Mom

:wave2: GaPeach

:hugz: Nuisance

Cross posted

Hi Kim :hugz:

Oh Debbie, Hello :D

I'm trying to feel better *grins* DH crawling up my rear end, trying to manage me because he does not have any employees to manage makes me nuts. He will, and does pee all over everything. I keep all my ideas, plans, etc. under cover because he will pee all over it. *sigh* He REALLY, REALLY, REALLY needs his old job back.

Actually tofu is really good. I've got a sweet tooth, and that's why I posted all those dessert recipes. But I used to make most of the desserts with nutra sweet. Tofu is low fat, so low calorie. I could eat dessert several times a day and it was good for me! HA! HA! Crazy huh? I'd eat it for breakfast, I'd eat it for lunch. I was pretty happy eating tofu. But, I grew up eating tofu so it was not weird to me. If you ever want any recipes Deb, I must have hundreds, let me know.

OH DEBBIE! I forgot! I wanted to say Woo Hoo! on the no smoking! You Rock! :)

#951 ·
I have a recipe for kung pao tofu that even tofu-phobic meat lovers have pronounced worthy of their esteem. :) It is going the opposite of much of the dessert tofus, in that you use extra-firm, and you boil it to give it a chewier texture. I think I posted it here many, many, many moons ago, with step by step pictorial instructions. :) I have made desserts with silken tofu, and I recommend it! Yummy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.