Frugal Village Forums banner

Our 2012 Self Image Challenge

181K views 5K replies 54 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
I just LOVE you gals!!!!! This thread is THE best thread on FV.... I think!

Anyone can join in the fun...we welcome all but beware...we are a chatty group! :laugh:

2012 is going to be a GREAT year!

Let's get started! :)

#1,134 ·
Hi ladies. I haven't been around much the last few days. I had some tests ran last week and went back for the results. Everything came back negative, I am so relieved. We have had our home up for sale for over a year. We've had over 200 showings but no offers. We decided to change the listing to For Sale or For Rent. Well it rented in a day! We've been busy getting it ready. There wasn't much to do except I did find a water leak in one of the bathrooms. So DH repaired it. I'm just glad the house is no longer sitting empty. Hopefully the lady will be a good tenant.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening. Take care.

#1,136 ·
Popping in to say Hi. It was a really long January & I'm glad to have it behind me. Hoping to be by to visit & catch up w/each of you real soon. Sending HUGS & prayers to all who need them.

#1,137 ·
Well the surgeon who has like 30 plus years of surgery behind him, is still not 100 % sure what is going on with hubby's knee. Surgery is later this month. Start with 3 incisions, and check the tendon, and try to get that built up layer ,off his knee. If he can't get it off the easy way, then he has to open more area up, to remove the thing. Recovery will be based on how the surgery goes. He could have waited longer, but like I told the nurse, there is no good time, nor bad time. Time to get it over with. I think I need to start a list of what needs to be done this month, so nothing gets forgotten.

#1,138 ·
Maui, sorry you've got a vomit bug! I hate those! Hopefully it ends very quickly.

GaP, glad that you found a renter. I'm sure that's one load off of your mind.

Happy Birthday DebC! Hope you had a great one!

Janie, it's always good to hear from you!

Lady, I hope your dh's surgery goes well. My dh had a skiing accident and had to have a cadaver tendon put in which is a little creepy if you ask me...lol. He had a lot of pain afterwards.

Vanilla, I really feel for you 'cause I hate exercising! I have to make myself do it. Now if I could exercise with Ralph, then I'd love it!

Madhen, how's your poor donkey's eye? Is it okay?

Well, I've decided that my dh has lost his mind! He went to the central office today without asking me about it and arranged to retire from teaching in April (I don't know why he'd want to leave before school gets out, but then I wasn't consulted). He also found out that if he retires from the high school that he won't be able to teach at the college so there goes the "extra" money that we have to have to survive (barely!) each month. I don't know what the hell he's thinking or if he's EVEN thinking. I don't even know if he's crunched the numbers himself or just listened to rumors about how much money he'll have each month. I think he's flipped his freaking lid! I'm barely speaking to him at this moment. He said he'd rather work in a convenience store than teach anymore....well, you know....good luck with that 'cause there are very, very, very few jobs here and I would pitch a fit if he got a job in a convenience store (that's asking to get robbed and killed). Stupid, stupid dh! I feel like just slapping some sense in him 'cause I don't believe he has any! I don't want to have LESS money around here! I want to have MORE! Idiot! Idiot!

#1,139 ·
Wow Val, as if you do not have enough worries with your aunt... Now your dh does this! UGH! I feel for you.

MM, I hope that you wake up tomorrow well again.

OM, Thinking of you and grandma. It sounds like you have a tough road ahead of you.

MH, Yes, how is donkey's eye these days? Are the meds helping?

LTD, Sending speedy recovery wishes for your dh after he has his surgery.

Happy birthday Deb C.

FW, how did your dh's meeting at McDonald's go?

Waving hello to everyone else and sending good wishes and prayers to all.

A2M

#1,140 ·
Thanks, guys. Yes, Girl's eye looks 150% better!! She is still getting the ointment, but when I use up this tube (probably a day or two at most), I don't intend on getting more. You would never know, by looking at her, that she ever hurt herself!

#1,141 ·
Valerian - must admit that I am speechless as to your DH's actions - hope you two can talk this one out.

Must tell you what DH did when he came home from school today - I had just gotten up and he asked if I wanted some turkey soup - sounded and smelled good....... and when I went in to check on it - I realized that he had taken a frozen turkey leg out and was making the soup from scratch - amazing. Hope I can stay up long enough to have some.

Reactions: valerian
#1,142 ·
Happy Birthday Debbie-cat
sorry you are sick MM

Val- what is your dh thinking !!! i would be pitching a fit beyond fits more that it was done without really consulting me or making up a budget before hand .

want my cast iron frying pan to bop him on the head with - i am handing it over to you now !!

i dont think my dh quite gets that we will be minus one of his pay checks most likely and thats more money than i can come up with working he thinks we can use the pay on the 24th to pay the stuff we usually pay on the 15th but we will need that to cover the bills that hit the first week of march .

plus oldest ds is fretting about his job situation and moody he still hasnt paid his 150 for jan for his cell and car insurance and i think dh feels bad asking because of the job situation but the kid has a few grand in his bank acct and we do not !!!

i was asked to help with a marketing project at work in a senior apt building so that will be a presentation 1x a month and since the people in there will know me from that they want me to case manage most of those referrals - its a little further than i like to go but not real bad as long as i make sure i have enough time to beat the school traffic to get my kids after school.
and the construction that slowed that down is long over .

so that made me feel appreciated and acknowledged for work most times they only ask FT people to do those things .

anyway prayers and hugs to everyone :)

#1,143 ·
Oh Val. I'm so sorry. i have no idea what to say. I think DH is a little loco for looking for a new job here myself but ..Well I hope your DH get a plan quickly. hugs

Just watched "Contagion". I am trying the redbox route. $1.20 a day. We liked it and now I can't ever leave the house!lol

Decided i will use my xmas/mattress money for stamps,cat litter and such. Just a little disappointed on that one. Also finding a lot less of Ds's college is deductible for us than I thought. Hopefully taxes won't do me in also.
Starting to menu plan again as i had let that slip w/ Ds away.
That should save a couple hundred? Which reminds me i have to explain to DH about the $100. per month lost for no more tax break. I need to brainstorm again. Bought micro cloths for dusting that should save a bit of paper towels. well,I ramble so off to bed.

#1,144 ·
Val, all I can think of re your DH is that he must really, REALLY hate his job for some reason to take such a drastic step. I had a job like that, a long time ago, and could sympathize with him reaching a breaking point and having to do something NOW to change the direction of his life. I know you are mad at him, but maybe think about what might have pushed him to this point and talk to him about it? I just can't help but think that he is already miserable, and the one person who can maybe understand him and who he can talk to is too mad at him to listen to what sounds like a cry for help. :(

#1,146 ·
Good point MH.

DH's soup was terrific. Going backc to bed soon.

Take care all.

#1,147 ·
Val, did you take MH's advice? It was very sound. To be honest, my dh went to college to be a school teacher and in student teaching they gave him the kids that were one step away from juevenille (sp?) hall. It was then that he decided that he could never make a career out of teaching, so he used his degree in other ways.

My aunt was a career school teacher too. At age 45 she came down with cancer. She is a survivor thank goodness and then in her fifties, she suffered a brain annuerysm (sp?) and she again survived. She contributes both of those things to the stress of the kids and teaching. I would hate to see your dh follow the same path.

Yes, perhaps he should have had a alternative budget in place and another job already set up in the wings which it sounds like he didn't, but I will pray for you that it all works out.

A2M

#1,148 ·
Good morning everyone! Drinking some green tea here and some water too. Polly, I bookmarked the green tea articles from another thread to read. Green tea is a staple in our diets.

Busy day here today. Some appointments in the morning then a big Sam's Club and Costco shop. Also need to go to WM and get a cheap curling iron. Mine of many years broke a couple of days ago.

That will take up the whole day as all of these things are out of town.

I hope that everyone has a great day!

Deb C. how was your birthday? I hope that you had a good day. You have been having a rough go of life lately. I've been praying for you. You needed a good day.

A2M

#1,151 ·
Thank you for your support regarding dh. I didn't talk to him last night much. I addressed the insurance issue and he almost had a screaming fit! Said he didn't care if we lost our house, etc.! I don't think he's thinking clearly at all. I'm still too mad to sit down and attempt a "calm" conversation. At the moment I'd just start yelling myself and some very BAD things would be said! This morning he kissed me good-bye, said he loved me, and went to work like nothing has happened. Even if he does retire, I think that he should have the curtesy to finish out the school year, not leave them hanging for five or six weeks. They haven't done anything to him and since he's so well liked, I think he's actually gotten some of the best schedules out there as far as teaching classes that he likes. Occasionally he's had to teach a class that he didn't care for, but mostly he gets the "good" stuff. Oh, well, I guess he'll have to start walking the streets...Madhen, good advice that you gave...perhaps when I'm calmer, eh? Right now I just want to slap the sh*t out of him!

I feel sorry for ds10. He has a perfect attendance for this whole year and today he had to stay home 'cause he was nauseated and vomiting. I was hoping that he'd get perfect attendance for the whole school year, but that's done now. It's just a big deal 'cause none of us have ever gotten one and I don't know many people who have.

Can I just go crawl back into bed and stay there for weeks? That's what I feel like doing.

A2M, I used to really like green tea, but have gotten out of the habit of drinking it now. I think it's an acquired taste. I much prefer the black teas like Earl Grey (my all-time fave) and English Breakfast, etc.

Maui, are you here today? I hope that you're feeling better.

FW, your Big Lots must be better than ours as far as meds and such. I went there after reading your post to look for discount meds and they didn't have many med-type things period. I did buy some bandaids for a dollar and some dental floss for a dollar to go in the stockpile. I bought snacky stuff for the kids though...oh, and some paper plates (the kids use them in the microwave). My Buzz Club Rewards don't seem to be going up. How does that work? I have 3 out of 10 qualifying purchases and I've been there several times. When I went this week my purchases totaled over $40 and it still didn't change. Do you have to buy certain things to qualify or what? I'm trying to get that 20% one day shopping pass or whatever it is.

BBl...

#1,152 ·
Good morning everyone! Have a headache this morning, can't seem to shake it. Work is going to calm down a bit now. For that I am glad. This is such a crazy winter, blizzarding on Sunday, then the rest of this week has been in the 40's and 50's. I'm thankful I haven't gotten sick yet. I'm going to keep taking my vitamins and getting some sleep!

MM - I hope you are feeling better today! What a great DH you have to make you soup from scratch!

Deb - Did you have a nice day yesterday?

gapeach - Good to hear from you! Glad your tests came back negative. I know that has to be a huge load off your mind. Great that you rented your house! That has to help as well.

janie - Hugs! Good to see you!

A2M - I'm going to start drinking tea instead of coffee. I think the coffee is making me very jittery and on edge!

FW - Sorry your dinner with your dad and mom wasn't relaxing. I do think it was funny your DH is meeting a Federal Agent at McDonalds! I hope this works out for him! Any luck on your DD looking for a job?

MH - Glad Girl's eye is doing better!

nuisance - good to hear from you!

Val - Wow is all I can say about your DH. I agree he should stay til the end of the year. However, I also agree with MadHen about maybe he is so miserable he needs to do something else. When you calm down, I think the two of you should have a talk, a calm talk!

Momto5RN - WTG on the marketing gig. Isn't good to know you are appreciated?

Oheoh - I hope all is well with you and your grandmother. Hopefully the meds will help.

Polly - You doing ok over in your neck of the woods?

Star - How's school going?

dean - How many days? Nascar and school please! :)

Well, I suppose I should get back to work... Need to do some filing and clean my desk, it's a mess and dirty! I hope everyone has a great day! Hugs and prayers to all!

#1,154 ·
Got up to arrange for a sub - DH is already subbing for someone else - wrote sub plans and am now going back to bed. Need to remember to cancel this afternoon's Dr. appt.

Take care my friends.

#1,156 ·
Love your new avatar Dean - what a love!!

Reactions: dean
#1,157 ·
Madhen-he just needed to show the agent he had his ID and to show he is who he says and his picture matched and all. Hope he at least bought coffee for him. Just seemed like a strange meting place?

Val-Our Big Lot has fake vicks vap-o-rub,hydrocortisone,athletes foot creme (anti fungal),triple antibiotic,muscle mix,fake tylenol.ace wraps,epsom salts,alcohol,hydrogen peroxide and that sort of this. Plus they buy out drug store and at first the stuff is very expensive and you can wait it out. It will go to 90%off. Sorry you didn't find anything. The dollar store next dor had a lot of stuff to but they have less as well.

Hit Sams Club-renewed and bought cat litter,garbage bags,plastic sandwich bags and more hamb. (their hamb was 80/20 and $2.79#).

Feel bad-apparently mom had a good time yesterday. i had mentioned it wasn't our best visit. I think she's lonely. She acted like a 4yr old on too much sugar. I can understand how dad and only dad as your main company might do that. No cable,no computer,no driving-no fun. I should be more involved.

Woke up today w/ a surprise. The mortgage company was trying to take the payment a second time. I did hit it 2x but the site told me the first didn't go through. That cost $20 as a stop payment at the C.U. Just what I needed. I hate garbage fees like that.Mortgage company of couse was z e r o help.

#1,158 ·
Val-missed this
Buzz Club is 10 times of spending $20. or more.If you gave them you e-mail you should be getting tracking emails. You can only get 1 per day no matter how many times you visit and it doesnt show immediately. Once you've reached it though you can ask not to use it if you just buying like 1 thing. make sure they are swiping your card everytime.

#1,159 ·
~Busy week for me. I got to visit with my new nephew this week. My BIL and sis stopped by for a visit. It was so nice to snuggle the baby!
I've been hitting my listing goals to sell things before the move. Since I was made an administrator of my FB group last week, I've been policing people/posts there. Hopefully if I crack down heavily this week, I'll create enough of a core group that follows the rules and they can crack down on no-no's along with me. We'll see.
My toddler is being a toddler. We hit terrible-two really early with this one. She can throw a pretty impressive tantrum. The drama all day every day now is tiring. :/ And she's sleeping lousy lately. And not eating like she usually does. Which made it really hard to plan road food for our trip this weekend. I ended up buying twice as many snacks as necessary because I don't know what she's going to refuse to eat and having a hungry kid on the road is not my idea of fun.
And speaking of road food and fun, it was totally not fun trying to find things to bring that weren't loaded with corn syrup, sugar substitutes, honey and hydrogenated oils. I must have read 200 labels last night before I settled on three boxes of organic snack bars that a toddler could safely consume. Even a bunch of the organic stuff was loaded with sugar or honey. Ugh!
Ordinarily I try to make foods for the road but I'm finding that harder and harder to do every time we make a trip. My life is just busier in general and getting worse. This is something I've decided to give myself a break on to reduce stress before trips. I just work the cost into our vacation as an early relaxation present to myself. ;)
Other than that I've been sewing the 60 backpacks needed for my Christian women's retreat next month. Going has been the highlight of my year for a while now and this one will be the last one I'll attend.
And of course, I'm busy with homeschooling. Only 10 more weeks for DS. :fdance: DD has another 4 months I think. Her school days aren't as structured as DS's so it's not as easy to determine how long it will take her to get through her books.~

#1,160 ·
hey everyone! Rough week here.
My oldest lost a friend in a car accident this week and it has been tough. She is the strong kid and it affects the others when she is struggling.
On top of that we have just had so much going on with church and trying to get our cars maintenanced. I am so glad I am off work tomorrow!

#1,161 ·
I've missed so much, it's only been a couple of days. Whew! I'll try to get back to catch up on all the happenings. But know I haven't left a single one of you out in prayer. I got your back. :D

I cut my hair, a little different this time. It was not intentional, but I guess it's okay. I gave myself a shag with layers. Good thing my hair likes to curl with little encouragement or I think I'd be hating it. I decided to do a little digging in my basket and pull out that trial size Redken kit for curls I won in a sweepstakes kind of thing. I was going to use it for a added gift for someone a Christmas, but then it occurred to me that I don't have to give away everything I have. I'm important too, big step here. I've only used the tube of spiral curls cream, but I like it a lot. There are 3 other products you are supposed to use with it. Next time I'm going to leave the house I'll try all 4 together.

The skin on my face is finally starting to calm down. The redness is mostly relieved. Thank You M25!! I decided it was calmed down enough to try a sugar scrub. I found a bottle of mild face wash deep in the bathroom closet. I could have danced a jig! :) So I made up a small batch of sugar scrub with it. It's in a custard cup on the bathroom sink and I use it once a day. The dry skin is starting to flake off, and hopefully soft new skin will be underneath.

I'm really on the fence with this shortening thing. I don't think it's penetrating my skin. I think I'm going to have to rethink this. In the meantime I'm back with those little Nivea body cream disc.

MIL bought me a pretty nightgown. :) A definite SI booster. Pretty blue and aqua flowers, in an updated small print. Lettuce edging around the collar and sleeves. It's rather lovely. :)

nuisance, :hugz: I know exactly what you mean. Our youngest has so many food restrictions that I stand in isles reading labels all the time. Every time he goes away for competition it's the same thing.

Holly :hugz: I'm sorry. Praying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.