Better Health Through Better Choices 2012 Challenge - Page 21
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Read your post this morning, ppb. I may try a hot bath, because my back is no better today. If anything, it hurts more, and now I'm having spasms. Great. I have a brace on, and that seems to be helping a little, so I am hobbling around. I had to cancel Angus' puppy class today, because I can't even imagine trying to drive there and back, much less be bending over my little 12 pound dog for an hour! I am going to try to work on it from home, sitting in a chair! Happily, I have the curriculum, so I know what they were going to teach today.

Didn't eat well yesterday, since I found myself in a sedentary position most of the day, and I get bored when I'm not moving around, and I eat when I'm bored. I am going to try to be more mindful of what goes in my mouth today!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh No MadHen You really need to rest that back as much as you can, and yes, please go soak. Soak a lot today, both water and salt are very healing.

Not sure how you feel about Advil, I know it's a chemical, but there are times chemicals are beneficial, this may be one of them. You can take 800 mg no more than 3 times a day. Every 6 to 8 hours. That is prescription dosage. Aleve is very helpful too, but I find that it's action is different, and requires a longer time to get relief, but is incredible for reducing spinal inflammation in severe forms. The dosage for the Prescription Naproxen Sodium is: 550mg / every 12 Hours.

I'm certain Angus can't tell the days of the week. I'm thinking he'll be just fine with instructions from the chair today, or not. Don't push yourself beyond your limitations. I know you do a lot of taking care of everyone else around you, and you're not one to be idle, but I think it's okay today. I also think it's okay to have some comfort food, this is a temporary condition after all. Be good to yourself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, ppb. I will have to check to see if I have either. I have Motrin and some LO Vicodin, but the latter just really knocks me for a loop. I took one yesterday, and walked around in a fog most of the day, and didn't really feel much relief.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww, I've had that happen to me sometimes too. Sometimes it's just not the right medicine for the injury, no matter how strong it is. Just make sure you have something in your stomach before taking it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ppb, stealing that pic for FB!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No Bake Graham Cracker Cheesycake

Servings Per Recipe: 20
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 80.1

This is a delicious, light, refreshing dessert. It's low cal and sugar and can be made with the lite pie filling in any flavor. Note that this needs to be made the night before to soften the graham crackers.

Ingredients

Low Fat Graham Crackers
    8 oz. fat free cream cheese (softened)
    1 cup cold skim milk
    2 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1 small box instant vanilla pudding (sugar free)
    8 oz. fat free Cool Whip
    1 can lite cherry pie filling (or any flavor)

Directions

Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with whole graham crackers. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice to the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Stir in pudding mix, then fold in Cool Whip. Spread 1/2 of cream cheese mixture over graham crackers. Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and cream cheese mixture. Spread pie filling over top. Refrigerate overnight for graham crackers to soften. Enjoy
    Makes approx. 20 servings

Honey Mustard Roasted Chicken

Ingredients

1 lb. potatoes, cut into wedges
    2 lbs. chicken, rinsed
    6 medium carrots, sliced
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1-1/2 Tablespoons honey
    3 Tablespoons mustard
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    2 heads garlic, peeled
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    2. In a shallow pan, toss potatoes and carrots with oil, salt and pepper.
    3. Nestle peeled garlic cloves amongst the vegetables and scatter the rosemary on top.
    4. Arrange the chicken among the vegetables and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
    5. Meanwhile, stir the mustard and honey together.
    6. Remove the pan from the oven. Carefully take the chicken from the pan to another clean plate. Spread the honey-mustard mixture over the chicken.
    7. Stir vegetables in the pan, return coated chicken to the pan, and place pan back into the oven. Bake 10-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender.

Makes 4 servings.

Calories: 356.7

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good evening ladies, It's been awhile. Finally got a workout in today. I need to get back into the routine I had. It's hard to get going again when you take time off.

Well, it's amazing I did today because DH bought me the iphone 4S for our 8 year anniversary. We celebrated yesterday. Hahaha, Siri is so much fun to talk too! I'm like the dude from Big Bang Theory. LOL That episode still cracks me up. Found lots of free apps for fitness and nutrition. I've spent hours on this thing today. Hope DH doesn't expect dinner tonight.

So this year I'm sticking with calorie counting and no diets. Well Vegetarian of course. I just get board after awhile with limited food, ya know. I love laughing cow cheese with carrots as a snack.

Hope everyone is having a peachy weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope your back has righted itself MadHen. I was really bummed out to read you aggravated and old injury.

Palooka, it's always hard to get back in the grove of things. Love that Siri is helping find apps to help you to better health. Love Big Bang Theory, and that episode. I'm not much for sitcoms, most I find inanely boring, but Big Bang Theory rocks!

I think you need to find what works for you Palooka. If it's counting calories than I think that's what you should do.

My weekend was fine, thank you. I'm still trying to recover from this horrid cold. Lungs and head filled with gunk. Been eating quite well. Made a bean/beef/quinoa burger that was quite tasty, have lots of leftovers. My house is a disaster and of course my MIL showed up twice, my FIL once.

They bought us some groceries today, some eggs, lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, celery, carrots, canola oil, ranch dressing and peanut butter and a bag of frozen salmon. Yesterday Mom-Mom brought up shampoo, tissues, paper towels, cough syrup for me, a bottle of olive flavored Italian dressing. We are so blessed.

Today I'm going to make soup from the leftover chicken and vegetables/rice. A big final pot this time, my oldest will eat it today and tomorrow. Actually, he just said he wants to try his hand at it. He's going to gook it up.

It's funny, this last shopping I was trying to find more protein for us than beans. The flyers had nothing in price range except eggs. I bought 4 dozen, now my in-laws come over with 3 dozen eggs. LOL! I've got eggs!!! I've been eating scrambled eggs in tortilla for breakfast of the mornings. I think I'm going to hard boil some for tonight's supper, I'll make a salad and garnish with hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, carrot whirls and croutons. Mmmm...Sounds good to me. Green shake for lunch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm....A cheesesteak makeover. Well, I'll try it someday. It sure is a huge amount of calories saved compared to a real honest to goodness cheesesteak.

Philly Cheesesteak Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I've never had Chicago style pizza, but this recipe looks like I might like it. Keep watching link, it goes on to other recipes. The lightened chicken pot pie will blow your mind with the reduction of calories.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-s...0400000064581/

Fish Sticks

Recipe Makeover: Healthy Fish Sticks - Cooking Light

Carrot Cake

Healthy Carrot Cake: Recipe Makeover - Cooking Light

Love this!!

View All Photos < Best Recipes for Winter Vegetables and Fruits - Cooking Light

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look what A2M shared with me. It's great! It gives recipes so you can stay in budget, the recipes come with nutritional facts which is very helpful.

The University of Maine - Cooperative Extension Publications - Convenience Mix 4

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly, Siri didn't help me find healthy apps, there is just tons of free ones on smart phones There is this Nike one that I want to get going on. I worked out today and ate well. Yeah, I obviously controlled my calories last year, but this year I rather not stick to a certain diet. I really want the McDougall app though! lol

Getting spring fever. Can't wait to go clothes shopping! This will be a first.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Look what A2M shared with me. It's great! It gives recipes so you can stay in budget, the recipes come with nutritional facts which is very helpful.

The University of Maine - Cooperative Extension Publications - Convenience Mix 4
    That's pretty cool. Bookmarked it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! Okay, okay. I stand corrected. You're just going to have to understand that I know absolutely nothing tech at all. All these I pads, I pods, and phones that are like a personal secretary are so far beyond me. But I am glad that your phone comes with apps that you love. Nike App, MaDougall App, you must be so happy Palooka.

And you? just raring to go shopping? That is the first time I've ever heard that. I hope you find lots of fun things Palooka.

And yes! Isn't that cool? Budget minded recipes with nutrition facts! I was so excited about this link A2M sent me. She sent me other bean links too, scroll back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pretty far behind on this thread, but wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, Palooka. Hope you are going okay

Polly, I am always up for trying a new cheesecake. I made the below cheesecake not so long ago (don't have a photo of my version on the laptop, unfortunately) and it was AWESOME.

Used a BBC Good Food recipe and popped in food colouring. Not especially healthy New York Cheesecake recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

As for good choices, I've been snacking loads on fruit and I'm amazed at how much I'm developing a taste for it. I can see such a difference in my waist. Drinking lots more water, too.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast