Better Health Through Better Choices 2012 Challenge - Page 31
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I keep telling myself it is only for 30 days (27 days now!). And I know that I will be having a "cheat day" next Sunday, because of Mother's Day, so I keep telling myself I'll eat all the stuff I am craving right now on that day. I will probably have to go to AZ for business for a few days this month, so I might have to eat "normal" food then, as well.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I have been MIA for a while. Finally got dh moved out last Tuesday, although it took 3 days to finish up the "move". I also spent those three days, moving stuff, cleaning, steam cleaning carpets, moving stuff around, etc. Then spent Sat getting ready for dh to come over and help ME move my desk, br tv to the office, and a couple "little" things LOL

Today, I have been trying to "repair" the damages done by earlier stuff (putting books in bookcases, desk stuff back into desk .. orderly...

I have 1 more room to steam clean the carpets, still have some smaller furniture to rearrange when I have made room, need to cull and organize the books ... just put them back where they were for now. I also need to go thru my entire kitchen and eliminate stuff. I have been trying to do it in each room as I go thru it

My weight has gone up and down, mostly in conjunction with my emotions/moods, need to get back to regular meals. I have considered all the moving, cleaning, etc my exercise lately. Have to conserve my energy for what I need to do.

I am thinking another week and I will be squared away.
    Living Single and Loving it!
    EmilyD

Savings goals:
    2014 Change Jar Challenge (New, smaller clothes) $0/$500.00 (turned in 6/2/14 $118.00 for another purpose)
    52 Week Money Challenge (Christmas 2014): $0.00/$1378.00 in a year (need to save 275.00 to make it by Nov. )
    Emergency Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin (167.00 pm to make it by Dec)
    House Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Car Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Medical Expenses $0.00/$1000.00
    Dental Expenses $0.00/$1000.00

My Challenges:
    2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 1 @ wk 16/52
    2014 Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
    2014 Household Purge/Declutter Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge
    2014 Reading Challenge 11/52
    2014 Change Jar Challenge

52 Week Saving Challenge W1-$1, W2-$2, W3-$3, $W4-$4, W5-$5, W6-$6, W7-$7, W8-$8,W9- $9, W10- $10 W11-$11, W12-$12, W13-$13, W14-$14, W15-$15, W16-$16 W17-$17, W18-$18, W19-$19, W20-$20 , W21-$21, W22-$22,W23-$23, W24-$24, W25-$25, W26-$26, W27-$27, W28-$28, W29-$29, W30-$30, W31-$31, W32-$32, W33-$33, W34-$34, W35-$35, W36-$36, W37-$37, W38-$38, W39-$39, W40-$40, W41-$41, W42-$42, W43-$43, W44-$44, W45-$45, W46-$46, W47-$47, W48-$48, W49-$49, W50-$50, W51-$51, W52-$52

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Day six of the raw food challenge, and I am JUST starting to not miss coffee in the morning.

Had a kick-butt "wellness burger" for lunch on Monday, and something less kick-butt-y for lunch yesterday. (Supposed to be falafel substitute. I don't even know what falafel is, but I know I wasn't crazy about the substitute.) Had a VERY kick-butt raw vegan blueberry creme cheeze pie slice for dessert! I don't even like blueberries, and this thing was AWESOME!

Going to another raw "cooking" class tonight to learn how to make "birth berry pie", in honor of Mother's Day.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Now on day 21 of the challenge!! I have lost several pounds, which is cool. I donated platelets yesterday, and despite not eating meat (except for a teeny bit on fish on Mother's Day and another teeny bit the next day, when I was out of town and couldn't find a raw vegan solution), my iron count was through the roof. This is awesome for me, because I regularly get deferred for low hemoglobin levels. The nurse even asked me what my secret was!! (For adult women, the acceptable levels are 12 - 16. Even with supplements, I often can't hit 12. Yesterday, my level reading was 13.9!!)

I have to go out of town again the first week of June, so will have to take a break, since I just don't think I'll find too many vegetarian options (much less vegan or raw) in the burg where I'm headed. Hoping to sustain the progress I made though, and get back on it upon my return.

I was a little skeptical of this when I started, but wow, I feel about 200% better now. I wake up feeling healthy and light, and my mood is much more stable. (I tend to be a little unpredictable <g>.) My plan, for now, is to try to incorporate about a 90% raw vegan/10% everything else plan into what I eat. When I'm at my home base, I can easily plan around my meals and eat raw vegan. When I have to travel, especially when I have to fly, not so much.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Doing pretty well here. Eating lots of whole grains and fiber. I have had a few desserts though. We gave our scale to my niece, so I do not know if I have lost any weight, but I am having fun making almost everything from scratch. So nice to prepare wholesome good meals for my dh. He is loving it too.

Madhen, you are doing wonderful with your raw food vegan diet.

Well, I would love to hear how others are doing.

A favor to ask too. Polly said that she posted several pasta recipes on this thread and I tried to search and came up with a mish mash of recipes not just pasta. I would appreciate it if someone could bring up that link for me. I am not too computer literate. Thanks! Also would love some of Polly's bean recipes too if I am not asking too much of anyone.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Where is Polly? Does anyone know?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This thread seems to be dieing. In one month we have used five lbs. of whole wheat flour and in one week we used a head of romaine and a head of curly leaf lettuce and three tomatoes. I feel good about that.

Madhen, how is the raw diet coming along?

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Val, I think Polly is taking a little hiatus from the computer. Hope to see her back soon.

I am still doing about 80% raw. It was really difficult to maintain while I was traveling, but now that I'm back home again, I'm back on track. I asked for a Vitamix for my birthday (tomorrow), but I don't know if I'm going to get one from my family. They were supposed to come up today to take me to lunch and give me my presents, but my mother cancelled on us, so it will be a few more days before I know.

Another little bump in the road is that I loaned my juicer to my sister while I was out of town, with the understanding that she would bring it back last Saturday, when she brought my dogs back from pet-sitting them. Well, she forgot (the juicer, not the dogs), and was supposed to bring it today, until our plans got cancelled. So I am without a way to make fresh juice daily, as well!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday Madhen! Sorry about you not having your juicer and your family cancelling on celebrating with you today. I hope that you get your Vitamix.

I can see where a raw food diet and traveling would not be the easiest thing to do.

Have a good day!

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy birthday to me!! I turned 47 yesterday, so I thought what better time than the first full day of the beginning of my 48th year on this earth to really focus on myself and my health.

Starting out today by taking the day off from work and going for a hike with my dog.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday MH!!!!!!!!

Stay healthy............

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy B-day Madhen! This is YOUR year (you so deserve it)....!

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went on a five mile hike with Crash (posted a pic to Facebook for those who frequent that site). We drove Iron Point Road to Lake Margaret (2.5 miles from trailhead to lake). I did have a handful of fries with a very excellent portabella mushroom sandwich at Kirkwood Inn, on the way back, but otherwise, kept it pretty healthy today. I have a green smoothie in the fridge for dinner.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi could I join this thread a lot late..since this is better health through better choices.... I would like to do it all at one time but not gonna work for me... so 3 that I want to work on is more water intake, going to bed earlier, and not eating after supper..so will report back...wish me luck it will not be easy......

Polly is taking a mental break away from the computer for awhile.. called her but know answer..hugs will try again
    Last edited by oheoh's momma; 06-23-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am still trying to maintain about an 80% raw vegan diet, starting each day with green juice at the minimum.

My mother fell and hurt her back AGAIN last week, so have spent a lot of time dealing with that. I'll be heading up tomorrow to see how bad it is this time. She claims that she can't go upstairs to take a shower or lay down (bedroom is upstairs), but she has also not been taking the pain meds her doctor gave her, and my sister took her back to the doctor today to get a different prescription (along with muscle relaxants), so I am hoping things will be better tomorrow.
    DH aka Mad Hen