an idea...

Thread: an idea...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking an idea...

here's an idea I had for making a journal for the family to use through out the year to document the milestones as viewed from the eyes of different members. A journal everyone can write in about things going on. Begin with this type of notebook:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Then scan or color photo copy favorite things, or buy papers at a paper, craft or scrapbook store. Laminate. do one for the front of the book, and one for the back as well. spread glue ( i used rubber cement) on both the laminated paper back, and on the outside of the books cover. lay the laminated sheet onto the book, allow to dry. use an exacto to trim to size of the cover. Now the spine needs something dont to tie it all in to look professsionally done... so what i did was get some wide bias tape. I unfolded it and ironed it flat. then i ironed on some fuseable webbing. then I measured the length of the spine and cut the bias tape to that length, removed the paper and centered the bias tape on the spine. I ironed it on to the spine to adhere it, the fuseable webbing worked great. Do far these ones have lasted since 2001 when i made them. the first is our family journal. (An idea...in the first few pages, do a print of the kids hands...do it again later in the year or at the end of the year on the last few pages for comparison) I will be giving these notebooks that we do to the kids when they grow up. I will encourage them occassionally to write in the books too to add their thoughts about things going on as they years go by.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

and here's one i did for the garden using the same procedures and supplies, just a different design. It has been used a lot!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love this idea! I am going to start one for our family. And I like the way the garden journal looks. Much better than the plain notebook I planned on using.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks you two! I love to show things i make and show people how to do it themselves. or at least explain it so they can take the idea and try it out themselves. (my secret wish is to someday show people how to do crafts, all kinds...as a job...like Martha Stewart does...but with ideas i come up with ) I enjoy showing ideas, and hope that some people enjoy them too and can use the ideas themselves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These are wonderful ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are wonderful ideas Melissa !!!!!!!! You are so creative !!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like you much better than Martha, you're much more charming and your ideas are more my style. I would love to make something like this to give to my grown daughter who lives in another state. She has 3 kids and I am a far away grama, what a great way to hear lovely little stories.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks everyone! I don't get a chance to share crafty things with anyone here, don't know any crafty people here So it is enjoyable for me to be able to share here, thanks again.

I wanted to add to the instructions that if the journal will be used alot you may find it better to use rubber cement or silicone glue for adhering the bias tape onto the spine than the fuseable webbing. And that you can sort of match colors of the bias tape to the color of you new cover.

Be sure to read and follow the glue bottles' directions. Some glues are particular in how to use them in order to get a permanent bond...like rubber cement you have to apply to both surfaces, allow to dry partially and then put together, and so on.

Hope ya'll enjoy it if you try it. I have a bunch of these journals laying around now, lol...but no new ones recently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i love that idea, thanks so much i think i will make some up for my neices for christmas, very frugal but really neat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm starting a garden journal. It's not anything fancy. Just a binder with some sleeves in it. I can add pics, seed packets, writings, etc.
    Just something so I have some information year to year of what I have planted and dates I did things etc.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear. --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great ideas!