How does one find time to be creative?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question How does one find time to be creative?

YOU MAKE IT!!!!

I personally think each of us has a gift of creativity inside of us, just waiting to come out. It may be quilting, designing clothing, woodworking, painting, writing, etc. etc. The list can go on and on, its just there. It a gift!!

So how does one find time to do the creativity.

-You make time, even if its in 5 minute intervals. If you write, have all your writing material on hand, so that if you have 5 minutes you can easily find your writing material and do it. You have a notebook in your pocket, so that if an idea comes, you take a minute or two to write it down. If its another craft, you do the exact same thing - lets say its quilting. Have a block cut out and all ready to sew. When you have a few minutes of free time, then sew.

-you schedule it on your calendar if you find your too busy. Why can't you? If you can do that for appointments, etc. so you can do it to be creative. Its a part of who we are.

-were taking care of kids, were too busy - we can't be creative. Sure you can. You give them something to be creative with and then you all can do it together, YOU, yours and your kids theirs. Many times, I'm quilting and the kids are designing (dd) and ds #1 is cutting. While doing that, Michael is playing with his piano, serenading us!! It can be done (no excuse here). I'm not saying thats all you do during the day, but again schedule time for the family to be creative. A time for your kids to use their imaginations. Give them the freedom to do that, while your being creative. One of the saddest things about computers, tv and such, is that our kids have lost their imaginations and creativity.

-while the kids are sleeping or having a nap. Take a 15 minute break and do some creative things. Its amazing what you can get done in 15 minutes, if thats your main focus.

-If your taking that 15 minute break, forget about the telephone or tv or computer. Most of us have answering machines or call display. If its truly important, they'll call back. Its so important to give ourselves a "creative break" during our busy schedules.

Just a few tips that have helped me when it comes to creativity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With a 50 hour work week i really haven't found time......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I must be the world's most disorganized person these days.....I have trouble finding time to much of anything. I'll keep these tips in mind Cj. Thanks.

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While taking care of 2 little ones, keeping the house cleaned up, fixing 3 meals a day ... I have to be creative 24/7. Where's the tips on finding the energy to be creative?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are great tips, thanks CJ.

Master Dollar Stretcher MJsLady's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in Lisa's boat. I do not know why but I always feel anxious, like I have tons to get done fast when in reality, I do not do much of anything!
    I mean, I do dishes, cook straighten the house, but most of you do way more than I do and I feel so slow next to you!
    When I do decide to sit down and work on something, I get very nervous after a short period! If ADD wasn't a childs problem, I would be conviced it was mine!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka LaciBob lucy979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I would be more creative if I thought I was creative. KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Laci, I would say your creative - you just haven't started yet. You mentioned in your other post, you've always wanted to write and you've always want to draw. No matter if you think you aren't good enough, you need to start. It will come!!!

We all think that when we first begin - I'm not creative. I'm not creative if I'm doing something that just isn't ME, such as writing or putting things together like Lori or Karen. I so wanted to be in the junk wars and I looked at the stuff and though - and thought - and thought and couldn't come up with anything, not a thing and yet look what those girls created.

Its getting started!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think ADD is an adults problem too

Mind you I feel like I have ADD sometimes and I put mine down to lots of things mostly lack of self-esteem and perfectionism! I am 'one' of the most messed up people I know.

I can find time to be creative but then I don't do anything else AT ALL, OR I find time to do the housework but NOTHING else! And so it goes on I'm a 'mission' person by nature.

But I make and do lots of things and people are always telling me how clever and 'creative' I am ~ It's believing in YOURSELF that counts, If somebody asked ME what I could do I think I'd say nothing.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and finally have come to post. Years ago I never made the time and just rushed from one thing to another OR nothing at all. If I wanted something done I would get it all done in one sitting and then that was it. Now quilting is an ongoing project! I always thought that I had to have it all or nothing. Not anymore. I have found such joy in accomplishing little bits here and there and it's amazing how a couple blocks can be sewn or cutting can be done and it's one step closer to the final product.

I learned as well that just as I schedule to get my hair cut, grocery shop, exercise (I finally started this in the summer and do it almost everyday now) I will schedule "me" time and time to be creative. I am such a better person for it...just ask my family!! I am so glad I gave this gift to myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by calico

I learned as well that just as I schedule to get my hair cut, grocery shop, exercise (I finally started this in the summer and do it almost everyday now) I will schedule "me" time and time to be creative. I am such a better person for it...just ask my family!! I am so glad I gave this gift to myself.
    I couldn't agree more. I find I'm a much happier person when I get to be creative and to do it on a regular basis. Just ask my family the difference in me if I don't get to be creative on a daily basis. I'm a grump and they'd be the first to say it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally agree with the need to be creative, and to satisfy that need. I truly believe it feeds the soul. There are so many ways to be creative though- doesn't necessarily have to be in crafts. You can be creative when you go to the cupboard and feed your family a terrific meal with very little food in the house- or when you create a terrific halloween costume for your child with things that you have lying around the house. Women have used their creativity in many ways throughout time. Just look at the depression era. What got those families through was the woman's ingenuity and creativity!!