The FV way to crafting
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink The FV way to crafting

I am making the wreaths where you use the heavy (like particleboard) cardboard wreath shape and glue candy to it. I've painted the circles and was hot glueing a bit of lace to them to spruce it up a bit. Well wouldn't you know it, I ran out of lace. I had not measured before I got the lace but just knew that I had enough. It came 3 yards for a $1 on a roll. I only had enough for 4 wreaths and that left two without anything. So I pouted for a few minutes and then thought what would the FV folks do. Went to the fabric stash and becan digging (I had already checked the lace stash and couldn't find enough). Low and behold there was a green and red Christmas plaid dress that I had salvaged from someone's garbage a while back. I cut it into long strips, folded it so the raw edges would get glued and then covered with the candy and Wa La, I had enough to finish the last two wreaths and to make lots of bows with.

Had I not spent the last 2 years learning from you guys, I would have never thought to try and work this out.

Thanks guys.

Okay what substitutions have you guys had to come up for in the craft world at the last minute?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WTG Pat. Isn't it great when you can come up with substitutions without having to spend any money.

My most recent one was 2 days ago. I needed 2 blocks 27 x 27 inches for the quilted wall hanging I'm doing. My largest ruler is 15 x 15 inches. I asked dh if he had anything to use and he didn't.

BUT when I was delivering papers, the papers came wrapped in plain white paper. One sheet was 27 x 25 inches. I cut a strip from the second sheet, taped it to the first and measured out a block 27 x 27 inches. I then cut the paper into 4 triangles as the instructions said to do and viola, I now have 4 templates the exact size I needed. Cost $0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds great CJ. I just love searching thru my "stash" for things to use. It's one of the few things that make me really feel like I am frugal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pat, for your creativity! Those wreaths sure will be beautiful, I'm sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG!Pat Ok we need pictures! and CJ what a wonderful idea to make a template out of paper.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Ellise
    WTG!Pat Ok we need pictures! 

Doesn't it make you feel good to have the creative solution instead of running to the store and spending more $$? 

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great FV thinking Pat!

Uhh, I pretty much do the "substitution dance", lol, on most everything I make. I rarely go out and buy something that the pattern calls for. I first try and use something I already have like you did.

This week I made a block template out of a cardboard lid. I used an old desk calendar pad to make a pattern that was bigger than my paper. I'm getting ready to use a piece of fabric to make a piece of ribbon to use on a wreath since I didn't have the color of ribbon I needed.