SO many 'events' coming up! Overwhelmed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy SO many 'events' coming up! Overwhelmed!

I need to vent...and need some advice, too...

Dh & I have SO many events coming up between now and the middle of August I am about to lose it!

1 Bridal Shower

3 Weddings (Have gift for one, going in $25 joint on another, still need for 3rd wedding). And one of these is a 110 mile, round trip, drive (currently $4.27/gal here; 20 mpg).

1 Baby Shower (have the gift)

2 Friends Graduating College (commencement and party)

4 Birthdays (more than that, but these are the party/gift ones)

PLUS, family coming up for 5 days (not staying with us, but we WILL be expected to go out and also bring food/drinks to family get-togethers while they're here).

Aside from needing TONS of various gifts... I've lost a LOT of weight and have VERY FEW clothing items...none of which would be appropriate to wear to a wedding. I'm tall and am a hard fit...I *rarely* find ANYTHING at second hand stores I can wear.

We've been trying SO hard to work on our debt... I also have tuition to come up with the end of May and the end of August...plus ridiculously priced textbooks to buy!

Feeling VERY overwhelmed with all of these expenses...and also feeling like we'll work and scrimp all summer and have no debt paydown progress to show for it in the end.

And no, none of these are things we should skip (or, trust me, I would!).
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Luv2,

That is alot to get ready for. First with your clothes situation do you have a jc penney near by they have changed there pricing also when shopping mix and match so you can wear them to your other events. Target and Walmart is also a place i would look to keep the price down.

Now on to the gifts...for the ones you have not bought yet could you do homemade? Not sure if you do needlework but for example
    my cousin is getting married in the fall and my parents cant attend so my mother is crocheting a border on pillowcases...she usually buys her pillowcases on clearance.

I hope this helps
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hopefully you can find an outfit you can wear to all three weddings. For clothing try looking at sites that list a few pieces of clothing that you mix and match to get many different outfits from. Just keep a list in your wallet so you know what you need if you find a good sale.

Keep a list of gifts you need to purchase and dollar amount and ideas for gifts. As store flyers and sales come up hopefully you can find the gifts you need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for the clothing u need I would suppest JC penny / target it will probably make u feel better...

as far the gifts u can do only what u can..money is tight er and not going far now...

at my local k mart they have a clerance isle that i buy a lot of gifts from... wine glasses for 5 bucks very nice gifts..

if u are handy homemade gifts are nice made my bff for Christmas it is a pretty frame, pretty paper, song lyrics.. she love it out 4 bucks ...

as far as the baby shower home made gift.. or a certificate for baby sitting a couple times...

as far as family... My family comes to see me not for me to take them out.. have a barbque and invite the rest...

hope this helps u.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tea Towel Bridal Shower Cake – Tip Junkie Homemade

Scroll down to #24

EXTRAORDINARY Ideas: 25 Christmas Projects! | The 36th AVENUE

Use these

TEKLA Dish towel - IKEA

Fill it with

MIXA 3-piece kitchen utensil set - IKEA

AKUT 3-piece kitchen utensil set - IKEA

Coaster set and glasses

The Cottage Home: Tile Coaster Tutorial

The Cottage Home: Tile Coaster Tutorial

REKO Glass - IKEA

POKAL Glass - IKEA

Other wedding gift ideas

BONUS 16-piece flatware set - IKEA

TRYGG Serving bowl - IKEA

VÄNLIG Pitcher - IKEA

IMPULS Pitcher with lid - IKEA

ANNONS 5-piece cookware set - IKEA

STEKA Frying pan - IKEA

KAVALKAD Frying pan, set of 2 - IKEA

GRATINERA Oven/serving dish, set of 2 - IKEA

TOKIG Salad spinner - IKEA

FLÄCKIG Mixing bowl, set of 2 - IKEA

STÄM Timer - IKEA

FLÄCKIG Measuring cup - IKEA

KLANGFULL Knife block with 3 knives - IKEA

LEGITIM Chopping board - IKEA

SLIPAD 3-piece knife set - IKEA

ÄNDLIG 4-piece knife set - IKEA

PRUTA Food container, set of 17 - IKEA

DISKA Dishwashing brush - IKEA

FLUNDRA Dish drainer - IKEA

PLASTIS Dishwashing brush - IKEA

PLASTIS Rubber gloves - IKEA

ETTY Apron - IKEA

IRIS Pot holder - IKEA

With coffee cups?

BRYGGKAFFE MELLANROST Ground coffee, medium roast - IKEA

BRYGGKAFFE MELLANROST Decaffeinated coffee - IKEA

With their wine glasses?

DRYCK BUBBEL ÄPPLE & LINGON Sparkling apple & lingonberry drink - IKEA

DRYCK BUBBEL PÄRON Sparkling pear drink - IKEA

BLANKEN Shower caddy - IKEA

BOLMEN Toilet brush/holder - black - IKEA

NÄCKTEN Guest towel - IKEA

NÄCKTEN Bathmat - IKEA

GRÖNSKA Shower curtain - IKEA

JÄLL Laundry bag with stand - IKEA

JÄLL Tabletop ironing board - IKEA

LAJBAN Drying rack - IKEA

BLASKA Dust pan and brush - IKEA

BLASKA Laundry basket - IKEA

MYSA GRÄS Comforter, warmth rate 1 - Full/Queen - IKEA

GOSA SLÅN Pillow, stomach sleeper - IKEA

IRMA Throw - IKEA

POLARVIDE Throw - red - IKEA

IRMA Cushion - IKEA

FNISS Wastepaper basket - clear - IKEA

LAMPAN Table lamp - black - IKEA

KNUBBIG Table lamp - bird/lilac - IKEA

HOLMÖ Floor lamp - IKEA

TROGSTA Floor lamp - IKEA

I think a lot of these could be used for weddings, showers, birthday, maybe even a graduation gift. Some maybe in baskets, or tied together with ribbon.

As far as food to bring

~macaroni salad
    ~cake
    ~sun tea (we have a relative that make minted sun tea for every gathering )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly you always have the best links!!!
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, great idea on the IKEA gifts, Polly! Those prices are really good! We have a wedding to go to next month, and are flying there, renting a car and staying in a hotel . . . It is a part of our annual trip to see family, but STILL going to cost a lot. I do it as inexpensively as I can, using some points we have, using Priceline for our rental car, and watching for discounts.

Good luck, Kace! I would still try to cut back if there is a way you can and not go to every event! And get the gifts you need at IKEA! I'm tall, 5'10, and currently have lost 36 lbs. I've been buying clothes at second hand stores along the way so as not to pay full price while I'm still losing weight. It really takes patience, but I've found some great stuff! Keep looking and trying things on, you will find some!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks FF and Maine Girl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to think that the bride & groom want YOU to be at their wedding for your company and not to see what you're wearing. Are you sure the wedding is formal attire? We all like to think these types of events are formal but if my friends couldn't afford dressy clothes, then so be it. I want them there in their jeans. Is there any way you can find a simple solid coloured dress and jazz it up with cheapie costume jewellery? (Claires, ardene) It seems like a juvenile (?) type store to shop in but if you have a keen eye you could prob rock a lil black dress with sandals. Think simple & basic

As for the gifts - homemade is the way to go. Can you make up a basket full of treats? Baking mixes in a jar, wooden spoons, bottle of flavoured sparkling water? Think themes - picnic or QT for two? What about 1lb bag of gourmet coffee w/2 funky coffee cups and a package of biscuits? I'm more of a practical person and I'd love a food gift basket vs stuff (candles & bubble bath - as much as I love that stuff)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in regards to outfits for all - look at clearance on ann taylor on line, and the likes....buy a dress and then buy some cheaper wraps for each event. maybe a navy dress w/ bronze sandals of some sort then a navy flowered scarf for one, a striped navy wrap for another....these are just ideas. hope you find what you need at a good price! great shoes and wrap can make (or break) an outfit an event.

chicos is having a great online (or store if you prefer) sale...great great prices on scarfs and ponchos and wraps...check it out....kohls has some fabulous dana buchman rafia espradiells(sp???) on sale also that would work they comne in gold and like a gunmetal that are so neutral they will work with any outfit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Thank you all for the great ideas!!

I am pretty crafty...my problem right now is TIME. I have almost no free time. I'm going to college, working part time, taking care of my 80 year old dad, and of course my own husband/home to keep up on, too. This summer I'm working full time, plus taking a class, and all the other regular responsibilities.

I live in Alaska...so, no IKEA (I love that store!), no Chico's, etc...and they really gouge you on shipping. We do have one JCP and 2 Target's! We have a Kohl's, but it would take me 2 gallons of gas to get there and back and close to that for JCP.

Frugal Friend...sounds like you've been dealing with the same stuff I have. I'm 5'9" and have lost 46 lbs, so far (10-15, to go).

Our thrift stores are super over-priced. I can usually get things the same price or less on clearance...if not on REGULAR price!! Seriously, it's gotten ridiculous...was great about 2 years ago...my frugal friends up here have been complaining about it, too. It really sucks.

I wish I had some time...I could knit his & her scarves (already have yarn)...few other project options, too. Just never seems to be 2 minutes to put together, these days!!

Yeah, I do wish there was some stuff we could get out of... I care about all these people and want to be there to wish them the best, but OH MY...time, cost, etc... It's overwhelming!!

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Kace, you do have your hands full.

Sorry there's no Ikea How disappointing. That is the one store I can count on to be able to pull together a nice gift on very little. I don't know if either of the two kitchen crafty ideas are something you could do time/money wise? I'm not sure I can come up with anything quicker, or as inexpensive. But if you think they are too labor intensive for you right now, I can look for other ideas for you if you'd like. Let me know.

And Woo Hoo on the weight loss! If there's a reason to have to buy new clothes, then that's a great one!

Our thrift and GW's have gotten VERY pricey here too. You really have to look hard to find anything worth picking up. Everything, as far as new clothes shopping is quite a hike for us too. Easily run a few gallons of gas from our economy car to get there and back. I feel your pain. My DH has become the gas gauge police. LOL!

Anyway, I hope that even though it's a crazy time for you right now you enjoy the get togethers, parties, and weddings. Wishing you a very nice Summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww, thanks Polly!

I'm sure it will be a nice summer...I feel blessed to have so many great people in my life! I'm just overwhelmed and worn out right now... I hope you have a great summer, too!

Yes...no IKEA sucks!! I'm thinking maybe I'll try to find just some basic black slacks...I'd be able to put pretty much anything with it...and can use them later, too...assuming I don't 'shrink' so much more that they're too big... I need a place I can buy tall dress pants.

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) have a good 'taller woman' section. I'm 5'11'' and buy my clothes from them, sometimes the trousers are even a bit too long!

I second the suggestion to buy a plain item or set (very light or pastel skirt and shirt?) and accessorize. Dark blue on one occasion, bright red on another, skirt with different shirt and shirt with trousers on other occasions. Jeans for birthdays. Is there any chance to go shopping before you go to these events? Can you knit while travelling to these events?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know you have Fred Meyer up there....have you checked their clothing clearance? And other clearnace options? I can spend all day at the mall and find nothing - and then stop at FM and find everything I was looking for.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast