Upset-Should I be
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool Upset-Should I be

I recieved a email at work today, The email was for my bosses Christmas present, it had voting buttons for $7, $10, Other$,$0. This note went to 9 people. I was pondering on which to choose, when I here the girl who is organizing it tell someone it's $10 and took the money.
    I had not even voted yet Unless majority already had.voted which is my thinking.

But still at that$ that is $90 for a gift, IMO that is too much.

I am really upset about this. I still haven't voted. I am really just thinking of opting out and making him homemade goodies in a basket/bag.

I asked one co-worker friend, she agreed, she chose $7. Then I asked 2 others that I know are tight on funds and they both chose $10, I was stunned.

PS. I work in a office

Give me you thoughts on this............
    Bridge
    My Food Diary-- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/xempress
    FV Exercise Challenge-- http://sdrv.ms/13tZfBX

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand? What were they voting for? We're they saying they'd be "chipping in" that much?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry-Yes each person would chip in that amount.
    Bridge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

...that seems just wrong. At my work (also in an office) we do not get our manager anything. It is not allowed, because it is a conflict of interest...(manager receives gift from employee A but not from employee B, later that year employee B gets a promotion, employee A can turn around and complain to human resources, etc.) It just gets messy.
    I think if your department really wants to treat your manager, you should host a department lunch. Everyone can bring in a dish or a dessert, and you can all feast on your lunch break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have snack food and deserts the whole week (pitch-in) with all departments, and the corporate GO have a catered dinner on Wed for all of us.

I just think that is way too much............But yet I feel like I will be the odd one if I don't participate.
    Bridge

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here at the bank, we chip in for presents. But we all agree on something to give her that way the cost is not unexpected and we all chip in 2-3 bucks.

I do agree that what your coworkers did was out of line. I would address it as well.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would take a stand. It seems as though you are really bothered by this, so do what you think is right. If you want to bake cookies, bake cookies. This is a nice gesture, and is more thoughtful than donating a 10.00 bill to the pot of money. (do you know what she plans on buying with this 90.00? I agree, that is way too much for an office Christmas gift)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i would make cookies also. this year i made candy jars and got 1.00 candles. i got every one the same thing, that way no hard feelings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think $10 (and even $7) is too much. I've never had that much money to spare around Christmas. In fact $10 is my limit for what to spend on nieces and nephews (and I usually get away with much cheaper by shopping sales), why would I spend that much on someone at a workplace? That's just me. I don't know how much you make at your job, but for many people $10 is more than an hour worth of work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs down

I REALLY DESPISE the whole giving expectation that is persistent in some office environments. If I want to give someone a present, I'll give them one. If I want to chip in with some others I'll approach them and see what they think. The idea that you are REQUIRED to give at all, let alone a certain dollar amount just drives me MAAAAAAAAD...

The worst was a job I had right out of college. A woman (who I didn't even know) was having a baby and everyone in the department, consisting of about 50, was REQUIRED to give $10... do that math!

I was getting married four months later and they wanted to do the same thing for me. Luckily, my sister also worked there and she said, "no way!" She knew how I felt about the other situation and she knew that I would never feel comfortable accepting such a gift.

I don't mean to sound like scrooge....but like we all don't have enough STUFF already....I would much rather pool our money and buy something for someone in need....which we NEVER do here!

Sorry for the rant, but this is one highly-sensitive button!

Happy Holidays!
    May today there be peace within...

May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be...

Loving wife to dh for 15 years
    Loving mother to...
    ds, 12
    ds, 10
    ds, 8

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This year my hubby has to buy for his boss too. But Im not complaining, hes's going to share it with another co worker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it were me in your place I would give the cookie basket. Was wondering how long you have worked there and if this was the first year this has happened. Also wondering if the girl heading this up isn't trying to score brownie points for herself somehow with the boss. IMO, this is wrong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The vet's office that I was most recently working for has the main doc (the owner) and two relief docs - I personally did not get along with one of the relief docs & had no interest in giving a gift to someone that I felt was a waste of oxygen - yet I was the "bad guy" for not chipping in - HA!!!

I think these things are silly - if you choose to give a gift, it should be from the heart, NOT from someone's catalog of over priced knick-nacks - I will never "chip in" again -

I think we've all had these issues - and I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in my feelings toward this "office xmas" - I agree that if you wish to bake a gift, those gifts are much more appreciated - at least they should be and if it's not, I would re-evaluate my employer -

good luck!
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Banks Sasha Max Lilly Charlie Chianti Jasper Marty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One year I signed up for the gift exchange at work and the limit was $10, thought it would be fun. Well I bought mine and placed it on the table along with all the others. Threw out the day you could choose a gift from the table, well I didn't recieve my break and so stopped by after my shift and everything was gone......no big deal, but not nice. I will not chip in or partisipate (spelling..uggg) in these anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i agree with the cookie basket or homemade gift. i wouldn't feel upset or ashamed of it either. its called gift giving not gift forcing. ok that was kind of corny, but you understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast