Does your bed need a headboard?
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does your bed need a headboard?

Here's a really great article on budget friendly way to create a headboard for your bed.

So you're in the mood to decorate your bedroom, but you're on a limited budget...

AND you don't have a headboard. And we all know that the bed is the major focal point of a bedroom. Your bed needs weight and drama... a headboard!

But if you don't want to spend $1000 on a headboard, what do you do?

Well here are 6 very budget friendly ways to adding a headboard to your bed.

1. Place box cushions along the wall at the head of your bed. These are thick enough to hold there shape while adding a cushioned backdrop to your bed. Now you can lay in bed and read a book comfortably. You can make your box cushions out of foam and fabric or find some discount cushions to match your decor. Even old couch cushions covered in new fabric can work!

2. Hang a full-length mirror horizontally above your bed. This will give the feel of a headboard, reflect light in the room and help open up your space. You'll be surprised at how great this looks!

3. Hang fabric down your wall. Quickly sew up some rod pocket curtains, or find some pre-made curtains and hang them from the ceiling down and behind your bed. This will add height, texture and drama to your bed. You can hang your fabric with a standard curtain rod or staple it to 1" x 2" board.

4. Hang framed art across the wall above your bed. Find images that complement your room's color scheme and frame them in a rich wood tone or paint the frames to add a punch of color. Evenly space them on the wall above the head of your bed.

5. Make your headboard! This is easier than you think. Get some plywood at the height and width that you need. Glue a layer of foam to the board. Then cover the foam and board with batting, stapling it to the back of the board. And the cover the batting with your fabric, stapling it to the back of the board. Easy!

6. Hang shutters behind your bed. What a terrific country look, to reuse some old shutters or fencing and use it as a headboard!

With a little imagination you can come up with your own special headboard creation that will add much needed drama to your bedroom plus adding in your personality. Because what's a bedroom without your personality shining through?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a tropical tri-fold screen behind mine. It looks awesome. I always get comments on it.
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

None here. Our bed is in front of a bay window and we use the shelf from the window for our kleenex, clock, books, you know the things most people put on a side table. The window is pretty high on the wall so putting a headboard up would just look wrong. One of these days we will be in a real house and we will have a headboard against a full wall.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh doesn't like headboards so we don't have one here!
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband purchased our bedroom set for himself prior to meeting me. It is Oak, and heavy and in my opinion a bit overpowering to suit my taste. It is over 20 years old, so perhaps in the future he might be able to let it go and we can pick out new furniture. In the meantime, I'll try to work around it. I was thinking that maybe I could build a box frame that I could slide over top of the headboard, and pad the headboard in a heavy masculine fabric and fabric covered buttons. Something a bit sleeker, but certainly as grand, with a slight modern/Swedish edge. Something manly, which I think (masculine) was the look he was trying to achieve, but he missed the mark and instead got big clunky country.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a headboard that Dh made and I recently painted brown. It is madefrom cheaper wood since we were painting it and looks great. We have made a uhpolstered headboard before for a friend. It was easy also
    Holly

My blog: www.littlebitoflifetn.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We inherited 2 twin headboards from my hubby's GPs. They were very 70-ish looking, and way too "older" looking for young boys. I took 2 old comforters and use them in place of buying batting. Using a staple gun, I then covered them both will burgundy pleather, which went great with the wallpaper border in there at the time. Now they want a music theme, and black pleather should work great with the decor I've seen around that I'm hoping to get.

BTW, The fabric was very wide, so one yard covered both with some material to spare. Cost $4.99. Another thing....super EZ to clean with just a damp cloth too

Theresa
    Last edited by mamamia; 07-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds really neat, Mamamia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking of doing the Fabric thing, with hanging a curtain behind my bed. I'm in an apartment, so I don't want to invest into anything expensive or that would put too many holes in the walls! Thanks for the ideas! They are great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have one. My bed is under a window and it would cover the window. I love fresh air and would rather have that instead of a headboard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a very large bedroom and I don't have a headboard. My bed sits in the middle of the room diagonally.

However, should I ever decide to change it up, I might go with one of the above suggestions. Thanks for posting them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'm going to try the mirror thing. I had never thought of it and I happen to have one that I'm not using currently taking up space in the garage. thanks for sharing these!
    marie/andrea dh

We had a baby! 10/04/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's amazing how creative all of you are. The more I'm on the FV the more positive I am that you don't need a lot of money to make your home nice.