lane cedar chest - new to me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default lane cedar chest - new to me!

for about a year i have been pining (ha ha) for a new lane cedar chest. i wanted maple exterior and cedar interior. i discovered they are expensive $800 ish.

it has been a fruitless endeavor.

on ebay have to pay for crating and shipping, and to find new, the local furniture stores say they have them and then when you actually go to the store, they "don't carry them anymore". to make it worse i wanted yellow/orange colored maple on the outside, which no one wants anymore. out of style?

frustrated, off i go to my favorite "used furniture" place in old katy, texas. there it was, sitting in a corner. i always find something at that store.

basically a plain maple box, with ogee feet, working lock, in very good used condition. i would say from the 40s or 50s. cedar inside with all the lane markings. working parts inside.

i bought it for $150 and a $25 delivery charge. it's not here yet.

i dun good.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my yes you did, how wonderful to finally get what you wanted. It seems like it was sitting there waiting for you to find it. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pictures please! (when it gets there)

I've always wanted a cedar chest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great find!!! I remember when girls graduating from high school often received a Lane Cedar Chest as a graduation gift. They started filling them with household items for when they left home.

Word of caution about storing things in cedar. They REALLY aren't suggested for heirlooms because of the cedar (ironically enough). The acid and oils from cedar damages textiles, papers and photos and shouldn't be stored where there is cedar. Just one of the many helpful preservation tips from a former Genealogical Library Archivists in charge of textiles, papers and photos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    Great find!!! I remember when girls graduating from high school often received a Lane Cedar Chest as a graduation gift. They started filling them with household items for when they left home.

Word of caution about storing things in cedar. They REALLY aren't suggested for heirlooms because of the cedar (ironically enough). The acid and oils from cedar damages textiles, papers and photos and shouldn't be stored where there is cedar. Just one of the many helpful preservation tips from a former Genealogical Library Archivists in charge of textiles, papers and photos.
    thanks! i plan to store my woollens in there. there was hardly a cedar odor anyway.

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    thanks! i plan to store my woollens in there. there was hardly a cedar odor anyway.
    If you want to revive the cedar smell, give it a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!! what a find!!

Brought back memories - don't know when they stopped doing this, but in the sixties, Lane used to give away jewelry size cedar chests to graduating seniors!! I was so excited when I got mine. Now where did I put it? I'll post a picture when I do find it - so cute!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i did some searching online mine, (not here yet) is from 1948

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations on your finding your cedar chest.
    Care to share the name and address of the used furniture place in Katy?
    I live in Hockley about a 30-45 minute drive to Katy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your wonderful find! I hope you will enjoy using it for many years to come!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Brought back memories - don't know when they stopped doing this, but in the sixties, Lane used to give away jewelry size cedar chests to graduating seniors!! I was so excited when I got mine. Now where did I put it? I'll post a picture when I do find it - so cute!!
    Yes!! I have one of these too! Let me know if you can't find it to photograph...mine is sitting in my bedroom, and I wouldn't mind taking a pic to share. What I find amazing is that I've had it for 32 years, moved so many times it isn't funny, and it's still in fantastic shape. And yes, so cute!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Texasgirl View Post
    Congratulations on your finding your cedar chest.
    Care to share the name and address of the used furniture place in Katy?
    I live in Hockley about a 30-45 minute drive to Katy.
    in old town katy, on second street there are two antique shops, across the street from each other, with reasonable prices. they deal with old people's estates so see a lot of walnut, cherry, and mahogany furniture. nice stuff. a lot of junk too.

yesterday there was a gorgeous walnut chippendale tall secretary for $250 if that gives you any information. i considered it. nice stuff. gorgeous dining sets, china cabinets, bedsteads. a lot of junk too. my sheraton sideboard, chippendale china cabinet and battered tall secretary are all from this shop. no more than 250 for each one, over the years.

edited to add: they price their stuff to move, so move if you want the piece.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 05-16-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i found a picture online-- its the one in the bottom left hand corner.

Lane Hope Chest 1949 Advertising Ad Print - eBay (item 160429997327 end time May-31-10 17:08:31 PDT)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on such a great find! Enjoy!
    Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

what a great ad!! Love your piece!! Cannot wait for you to get it!!

LB - better take a picture of yours!! Mine is 46 years old!! Does that make it almost an antiQue?
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast