ACKKKKKKKK That's it I am Hiring someone to keep my sanity!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default ACKKKKKKKK That's it I am Hiring someone to keep my sanity!

Ok I know this isn't frugal but I would rather keep my sanity! I started painting DD's new bedroom about 3 weeks ago. The walls looked beautiful and then came the wood borders and doors - well I started with the blue tape to tape off where I didn't want to get paint on great right - then I bought white border pain - so far so good right - then I started painting and it became my NIGHTMARE! I have done 3 coates and you can still see brush markes - I can't get the door to look right because of the grain and then I had to move some of the blue tape and it took a HUGE chunk of the brand new painted wall off!

I surrender! I can't take it anymore. I will hire someone to finish this so she can be in by the end of the month! I will find a place on my budget to make an adjustment!

Phew thank you for letting me vent!
    Kim - Single mom to one 14 year old High School and Competitive

7/14 - My savings is for saving, not for spending

Pound a week challenge: 1/25
    Grocery Challenge: 0/12
    Days not taking anything out of savings to live : 10/365
    New Roof: 0/$7500.00
    RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Prob. too much humidity? It's happened to me before too.(paint coming w/ tape) I would roll the door. If the door is paneled,cut in all around that. Use the tip of the brush. Always pay the extra when buying a brush. Many hairs/bristles in my job later.trust me.I know of what I speak.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes you have to take a craft knife around the edge of the tape so that you can pull it away without peeling off paint. I don't know what type of wood your trim is made of, but wood like oak that has a heavy grain tends to show through. I cut in details on panel doors with a brush and then fill in with a roller, like frugalwarrior2 suggested.

I hate blue 3M tape. I spend a few extra bucks for Frog Tape from Sherwin Williams, and it peels away more cleanly and prevents so many bleed-throughs.

2014 Project Challenges:
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge: 5/20 complete :-)

Just trying to keep on keeping on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok solved the peeled of paint problem bought a small container of the same color at Lowe's and touched it up... and I finally got the door to cover after 4 coates - ridiculous I know but you got to do what you got to do. I ordered the carpet while I was there this way I know I have to be totally done painting by the time it comes..... I still have 1 more baseboard, the inside on the window and inside the closet.

Question - I found a GREAT old dresser that DD wants me to paint polka dots all over... What do I need to do to base coat it and do the Polka dots? Can I use the same type of wall paint or do I need to buy craft paint??

RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KimZ View Post
    Ok I know this isn't frugal but I would rather keep my sanity! I started painting DD's new bedroom about 3 weeks ago. The walls looked beautiful and then came the wood borders and doors - well I started with the blue tape to tape off where I didn't want to get paint on great right - then I bought white border pain - so far so good right - then I started painting and it became my NIGHTMARE! I have done 3 coates and you can still see brush markes - I can't get the door to look right because of the grain and then I had to move some of the blue tape and it took a HUGE chunk of the brand new painted wall off!
    Well, there's your problem. They're close to each other, so it can be easy to make the mistake, but if you're going to spend money, spend it on paint. Pain is free, and much less enjoyable. I'd take the pain back for a refund. You have the receipt, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question - I found a GREAT old dresser that DD wants me to paint polka dots all over... What do I need to do to base coat it and do the Polka dots? Can I use the same type of wall paint or do I need to buy craft paint??
    You may need to prime over the old paint or stain with an oil-based primer like Kilz (use a "throw away" brush for this")so that latex will stick, but after this step, yes, the same wall paint will work for both the base and the polka dots. You might be able to buy several sample paints to do the dots, or some oops paint.

2014 Project Challenges:
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge: 5/20 complete :-)

Just trying to keep on keeping on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    Well, there's your problem. They're close to each other, so it can be easy to make the mistake, but if you're going to spend money, spend it on paint. Pain is free, and much less enjoyable. I'd take the pain back for a refund. You have the receipt, right?
    Bahhhh Haaaa Haaa

RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't take it anymore. I will hire someone to finish this so she can be in by the end of the month! I will find a place on my budget to make an adjustment!
    I think I'm the only one here who thinks this, but I think you should hire this out if it's giving you so much grief. I've known people who had professional painters come in and they said it was so totally worth it.

You can keep trying to fix it if you think it'll work. If it was me, I'd just pay to have it done this one time. It sounds like you're done even if the job isn't. You're allowed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question - did you use primer before the paint? Four coats of paint sounds like you didn't prime beforehand.

The tape peeling the paint off meant that the glue on the tape was stronger than the adhesion of the paint. I've had that happen before. I just touched it up later on.

I just finished painting the entire house and I had problems that arose. Brush strokes and undercoats bleeding through is also a sign of too thin of a coat of paint. I had these issues on my door trim. Did you sand the wood beforehand? Sanding, then priming, then sanding again before painting usually guarantees a better finish.

I also agree on the brush quality. A good quality brush will not only last longer, but it'll give you a better finish on what you're trying to paint.

(It took me four coats of paint to cover DS7's walls because I didn't prime them beforehand. It also took me four coats of paint and primer in one because the color was so dark. I was about ready to give up too and then I kept going.)

In the end, I'm happy with how well I painted the house. I'd never painted the inside of a house before and found that after I made adjustments and took my time, I got better as I went along.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you put tape over new paint, you need to do it RIGHT before you paint and remove it RIGHT after you paint, and waste no time painting.

Painters tape will pull new paint right off the walls otherwise.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When painting and you tape off the area first go over the tape with a light light coat of paint, let it dry and then go back with heavier coat. This will keep the paint from seeping under the tape. Pull the tape off before the paint is dry.

If your doors or trim have a varnish you need to sand them enough at least to rough up the surface so that the paint will adhere. Same goes for furniture pieces.

Prime before you paint or buy paint with primer already in it. Paint with primer in it will save steps. I like it.

Also when painting doors and trim don't use a regular paint brush. Use a foam brush and you will have no brush strokes visible. On the door use a foam brush around the edges and roll the rest.

**this is one thing I'm experienced at. I've painted and redone all the trim and doors in our home. I've also painted and redone my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. It works well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am almost done! I will be finished tomorrow........I will finish the 1 base board and the closet......

Question

Do you paint inside the closet white or the same as the room?

Oh and they are coming to measure for the carpet tomorrow! I will paint the dresser this weekend (hopefully) or next right before the carpet is installed and DD will be in her new room before Halloween ----Phew I will NEVER do it myself again! Next-time I will check for a local handyman to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We paint the closet interiors to match the room. However, that's pretty much a choice.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stopped using tape years ago, I find cutting in with an angled brush is faster, more accurate, and less messy.

If you have left behind obvious brush strokes you can sand them down to smooth them out, then put another coat over.

A foam roller will make a smooth finish on the furniture, but roll slowly so you don't leave air bubbles. Again, a little sanding between coats if you have left roller/brush marks or paint blobs.

Question

Do you paint inside the closet white or the same as the room?

It depends on the room.

My bedroom is a subtle colour, so I painted the inside of the closet the same. My daughter's room is an overpowering pink, so I painted the inside of the closet white in order to tone it down. My son's closet has a slightly different shade of the wall colour for a small contrast as the door is being left off of it.

I wouldn't paint the closet to match if the room colour is dark, as it will make it harder to see inside. Also if it is a colour you don't expect to keep for a long time (like a funky or trendy colour your dd will grow out of) I would do the closet white - that way you don't have to repaint inside next time you redo the room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Painting prep

I agree with the other postings on this one that its all about prep when you paint. Remember that paint will never cover up imperfections of a subsurface texture. So the more you prep, including spackle, sand and tape, the better the painted outcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast