Frugal Village Forums banner

What is your favorite decorating style?

19K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  Winston Smith 
#1 ·
I really love primitive/country style...and of course on a budget.

#28 ·
I love wood - its sturdy & lasts a long time...so our rooms have different types of wood funiture. The living room has many brown/fall tones...some of the decor has leaves....the walls are nutmeg frost. Kitchen walls are a very pale blue (almost white) & it has apple decor. master bath is kind of antique themed with crocheted butterfly curtains. I like to use the free wood crates that I get from the fruit/veggie stand as decorative storage shelves & bookcases after I paint & detail them to match the rooms.

#30 ·
French Country. I can't say MY house has FC, but that's what I'd do if I could........

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#39 ·
I love the modern and other simple styles. Why couldn't I post pics here? I was to see your room pics at first while I didn't find one, lol.
Yeah, I wanted to see the pics here too, but oh well...
My style is eclectic as well, I combine some old furniture I inherited from my grandparents and parents as well as some modern appliances which I try to mask with wood panels. In my late 30s I have embraced the fact that I love everything covered with wooden texture. I even got myself a small table saw like this so I could make some woodworks on a new thing to make it fit my house.

#34 ·
My style is eclectic cottage. I have antiques and WalMart bookcases in the same room, and somehow it works. I love natural wood, but also love painted furniture, which is why I went to cottage style. I buy things based on how they make me feel, so I can find a piece with beautiful lines that is beyond refinishing and just paint it. I like to paint furniture white, or very subtle earth tones. I'm a gardener, and my favorite color is green, so there are plants and lots of green and florals. I'm not a girly girl, but I do love floral, chintz and gingham. For upholstered furniture, it has to be neutral so I can change up the accessories on a whim.

My friend, who stages houses for a living, says my style is "quirky," but I don't see that. I just see someone with lots of things she loves and wants to have around here, so they finds ways to do that.

#36 ·
my house was clean-lined contemporary and eclectic, art I like not because it matches anything (it never does, lol). After combined households, this is no longer. The builder used Italianate fixtures and other touches of it through the house, I hate it and even though I should probably decorate in this same vein, I'm not. So nothing matches with fixtures. The DR table, highly functional and has lasted my parents decades is kind of country. The LR is a softer contemporary with Lazy Boy touches. My BR and bath- contemporary. My art is mixed in with some really ugly and old art. We're not gonna make House Beautiful any time soon, lol.

#40 ·
Mine is traditional.
LR is brown leather sectional with Amish 4 ft long rocking chair, oriental rug and African items on walls/mantle.
DR is oak table w/ chairs/blue sofa/china cabinet/dark oriental rug.
Bedrooms are light or dark wood beds/ dark area rugs, light or dark curtains....House has medium tan wood floors and cream walls. Basement (aka "man cave") has LaZ-Boy plush brown sofa and recliner, wooden chest as a coffee table, Native American wall hanging and brown African rug.

#42 ·
What's on my walls is a mixture of pieces handed down in the family, and prints I've picked up while travelling.

I see art and decor at places like HomeGoods, Hobby Lobby, Tuesday Morning, and Bed Bath & Beyond. You might also try better quality 2nd hand shops, and university art or photo shows.

#48 · (Edited)
Wall art is great, it reduces clutter and gives residents & guests some cool visual stimulation. I lean toward nautical & Western decor in my home, but I also have some ultra-hip travel posters from Greece and other European countries. Those posters date back to the late '60s and early '70s: long before the web appeared, folks dealt with travel agents and those posters were freebies. Some airlines also gave away posters as freebies on certain flights. So my family amassed a good collection of these old Mediterranean travel posters, and I'm the guy who saved 'em all and put 'em to good use here at the ol' hacienda, lol. The photography in those posters is excellent, and in those days Greece and neighboring countries were still a Mediterranean paradise! The posters never fail to elicit favorable comments from guests, lol. I also have some old Western posters from 'Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid'---I'll have to share those with ya in a link, I already have an existing thread at another site which shows my style of decoration, lol. Lemme go find that link, it's worth seeing the primo travel posters from the Mediterranean, like some kinda time warp, lol... :cool:

Home Decor Thread

Edit: Okay, I found the link in record time, lol... usually it takes me awhile to dig up old threads at other websites. There's a glimpse of the decor at the ol' hacienda, some shots will show y'all how I've set up certain rooms. At some point in the future, I'll have to post a home tour thread here, just so y'all can see how I go about rehabbing older homes and making them cool and comfortable places to visit or dwell, lol. BTW, y'all can see some really cool ceramic tile art in that thread, stuff we picked up dirt cheap in Europe so long ago. That European tile art is awesome, some of the detail is incredible! :D

2nd Edit: After perusing that linked thread, I realize that I have other threads which show further decoration in my home, but I will lump all of those linked threads together when I get around to creating my own home decor thread here. It's important to note that I am FRUGAL when decorating my home, I use older stuff that has been in the family for decades, so I'm not wasting money on new decoration. Besides, much of the older stuff is BETTER than anything I could afford today, lol. Some of the decor in my home is "newer" stuff which I bought at thrift shops, but most of the nautical & Western art is stuff collected over the years by me and my family. I no longer get to sail the way I used to in San Diego Bay and offshore, so the nautical art serves a purpose: it reminds me of all the good times & heller party voyages I had with friends, and also as a solo sailor aboard my 14' Laser or 12' Minifish. ⛵