Frugal Village Forums banner

Decorating on a dime

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  TrueFaithMom 
#1 ·
At a yard sale today, I purchased an brass antique standing lamp. The lamp shade came with it, but had a couple holes in it. Three light bulbs also came with it. It was marked at $5.00. It was the end of the yard sale, I got it for $1.00.

Three light bulbs would have cost me approx. $1.50 here for no-name bulbs. So I'm already ahead of the game.

Next I wanted to fix the lamp shade and didn't want to spend any $$ doing so. I took the fancy ribbing off the top and bottom of the lamp shade. Took me awhile to get it off, but it came off without tearing or falling apart.

I had been given some pretty material from a friend and decided to use that material to re-decorate the shade.

Cost:

~lamp $1.00
~3 light bulbs (free)
~material for shade (free)
~ribbing (free)

Cost for the whole lamp - $1.00. I now have a lamp I've been looking for years for, a new lamp shade that cost me a bit of time and a little glue and 3 light bulbs that I didn't have to purchase. One of those light bulbs will be taken out of the lamp and used elsewhere. Pretty cheap decorating.

See less See more
#4 ·
WTG CJ!! :yippee:

#8 ·
I just saw a lamp make over where the person sponge painted the lampshade like a flower and then pressed leaves/vine on the lamp shade for the stem/vines. It was so beautiful!! Then she took a large piece of material and folded the raw edges over, picked it up and tied a cord around the material (gathered by hand) and lamp at the top of the lamp base. She made pillows from the same material - what a cheap living room make over!!

Way to go on your cheap cheap new lamp!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.