Frugal Village Forums banner

What is your style of decorating?

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  ScrapMama 
#1 ·
Do you tend to stay with one style or do you favor a more eclectic style of decorating?  I don't have any paticular style of decorating in my home, I basicly buy things that I like and that make me feel good.  I have some antiques, some modern items and some western style elements in my home.  How is your home decorated?

#3 ·
I call mine country, my mom calls it pre-Early American. :laugh:

#5 ·
I like more of a contempory look but not too modern looking. The best way people have described my look is out of the pages of Pottery Barn. Is there a name for that look?

#8 ·
I prefer a mix of country and traditional. I like the look of "granny's house". I like shabby chic but don't want to go too far with it as it seems a bit feminine, but love the old beat up stuff with crackled paint.

#9 ·
Daphne said:
I like more of a contempory look but not too modern looking. The best way people have described my look is out of the pages of Pottery Barn. Is there a name for that look?
Inexpensive??? :D

I love the Pottery Barn! We go every time we are in VA! :)

#11 ·
I love the "English Country Cottage" style, I tend to go for the Comfortable-but-lived-in house look.

My furniture isn't all "matched" as such but, it blends and compliments.

I have been interested in Interior Design for more than 30 years (long before it ever became a subject for the TV!)

I went back to College to Study Interior Design and have the bit of paper to prove it, but it is worthless because( at least here in the UK) everyone thinks their taste is so good they don't need any hints or tips, even if offered FREE:ponder:

In the past I have had people admire my house/colour scheme etc. and I have offered advice free of charge and they politely decline, then the next time I go to their house I see a version of my home transfered into theirs:bang:

So for now I do it for myself, because my home is my Castle!

#13 ·
I love the Country Cottage look and also just plain country, although primitive country is too extreme for me. I strive for the Country look, but my home still looks more like "early attic" with a healthy dash of "young children live here".

We bought new living room furniture when we bought our house 15 years ago. It is really showing its age, but I have to make it work for a good while longer. And the rest of our furniture came from relatives or auctions.

#15 ·
My home, when we move (in another month) will be decorated a dark romantic type. DH and I are both what some might consider "goths". We both love the dark and dreary look. We've decided on the paint colours for our new place. Living room will be a mauve colour with the baseboards and doors painted black. I've already made the black lace curtains and black slipcovers for the furniture. Kitchen will be a blood red with white cupboards and black contact paper on the counter (right now it's this gross puke green colour..eew). Bathroom is going to be dark purple blue with white fixtures. The bedroom is the only place we haven't decided on...I hope it looks really nice!!!

#16 ·
Well, right now, DH and I are living in a bachlor apartment, and most of our furniture -- ok, ALL of our furniture -- is either hand-me-downs or some of the same junk we had since high school. So it's a rather mismatched conglomeration.

However, if you haven't noticed by now, I'm eccentric and a witch and I like to express that side of me all around me -- a lot of people say I look like Morticia Addams -- all the black and dark hair. Which I take as a compliment, because I always thought Morticia (Carolyn Jones) was a beautiful, curvy woman.

In any case, I've got my whole home planned out:

My bedroom is going to be black and burgandy. I want a cherry wood sleigh bed and a hardwood floor with soft black rugs tossed around.

My bathroom is going to be a rich gold-yellow color with black edging and highlights, and I'm going to have pictures of my idol, Bettie Page, around. Keep in mind this is MY bathroom. My kids' bathroom won't have pictures of sexy Bettie on their walls. :p

My livingroom will be a soft dark lavender/purple color with -- of course -- black accents. I have a real Tim Burton fetish, so I've been collecting memorobelia from his movies for this livingroom.

My kitchen, we're going black and white, or black and siren red. Something crazy and strange, I'm sure. :D

This is, of course, all subject to change. Depends on weither I'll ever get said house! :p Until then, we'll have to rely on hand-me-downs and older furniture.

Bright Blessings!
Nada

#17 ·
naderbug,

I couldn't help but notice that we share similar tastes (time burton woo hoo!!) and situations (hand me down furniture woo hoo!!). Have you considered refurnishing old furniture to make it match your ideas? For example, wood furniture (tables, end pieces, shelves, bookcases, chairs, etc.) can be sanded and repainted. Couch's can be re-apolstered or slipcovered. Right now I'm on the hunt for some end tables to decopage with a horror movie theme. It depends on how creative you are.

This link...
http://www.gothicmarthastewart.com

is a good one, with good ideas. You may not be goth but I think you'll find that some of the ideas will suit your tastes!!

#19 ·
I would like to think my home is more of a European romantic look, lots of wrought iron, pine, light and airy colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.