we may be building???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default we may be building???

Well, we're still waiting on final approval from rural development but should be getting that sometime next month (they have 30 days from the date they receive application.

We were talking to dh's uncle and dh kiddingly said something about buying some of his uncle's land (he owns 13 or 14 acres). His uncle was like sure why not I'm not doing anything with it. He uses about 3 acres of it or so. So now we have an opportunity to build or put in a modular there. He said he would sell us 4-5 acres dirt cheap, but mineral rights would not convey. (we have a huge a gas pipeline going through our area and they are going to be doing a lot more exploring for gas in our area) It is really nice up where he lives. It's the school district we want and the land is far enough out that it's in the country, but still only about 5 minutes from town. It is so peaceful out there.

So, we went and looked at modulars. We can get one for about $100,000 but that doesn't include setting it up or anything. One perk is that it does come with stainless steel appliances for that price or we can order it and have it with no appliances cheaper. We will have to further look into it.

We can also build. We got pre-qualified for 123,000 but that may go up if we get subsidies - I am not sure how that works yet. But we can do a lot of the work ourselves. Dh would do all the electrical, we would paint of course, put in cupboards and probably put toilet, tub, etc in ourselves. We would have to drill a well - but his uncle's well which is right next door - they only had to drill about 8 feet down. We would also have to put in septic. There is natural gas out there so that is a plus. DH is going to get a hold of one of the guys he used to work with who is now working with his brother who is a contractor, to see how much it would cost to build. We are looking at either a 1300 sf house with full finished basement, a 1450-1500 sf house with basement that would also have the garage in it or a 1600 sf on a slab. It really depends on how much it costs to have a basement done. I've got one blueprint done (we bought a program at sam's - pretty awesome) and have 2 more to go. dh wants these so he can call about each but I think all he really needs is approximations. We basically just need to know if it is cheaper than a modular. I think I will just call around while he is gone. LOL.

So, we have so much going on. I probably won't be on here much for a while but will try to pop in on occassion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow that's great but just a comment on the $100,000 modular home, that is pretty expensive, atleast I think so. Might want to do some more research.

As for building a home, can you build one for $123,000? Either way I am curious as to how much you are going to pay for the land?

I am very happy for you, it's a dream come true I am sure so wishing you all the best and keep us updated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    Wow that's great but just a comment on the $100,000 modular home, that is pretty expensive, atleast I think so. Might want to do some more research.

As for building a home, can you build one for $123,000? Either way I am curious as to how much you are going to pay for the land?

I am very happy for you, it's a dream come true I am sure so wishing you all the best and keep us updated.

the land is almost a gift - we're paying a dollar... his uncle would like the kids near him and the land is just sitting there. We have checked one place for a modular and they were close to that. Of course it would be a little cheaper without appliances (which may be an option). I know that modulars have to be up to NY code, so maybe they are cheaper but not up to code here? I don't know. I found a place in NH that the average was 70-80,000.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If his well is only like 8 ft deep, then the water table is too high for a basement. Our water table is like 20 or 30 ft ('cause that is how deep our well is) and no one in the area can have basements because of the water table.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow now that's what you call cheap land, lol I think that's great!

If you get the modular home I guess I would go for the appliances included BUT I would suggest checking out craigslist or local stores to see if you could get them cheaper.

Meaning cost without appliances than see what it would cost you if you purchased them on your own, if less than 100,000 than I would purchase them myself to pay less on a mortgage amount. JMHO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    If his well is only like 8 ft deep, then the water table is too high for a basement. Our water table is like 20 or 30 ft ('cause that is how deep our well is) and no one in the area can have basements because of the water table.
    Uncle has a basement at his place, but when he added on here recently they dug a basement under that too, and dug a little too far - I think his basement is only 6 or 7 feet high, but it also sticks out of the ground a little, and it's on an incline so some of it is under the ground more than others.

We are thinking of either having a split level or raised ranch, that way they only have to dig into the ground about half of what they would with a regular basement. Dh was told of a company about 30 minutes from here that is supposed to be good and quite reasonably priced so we will be calling or going down there on mOnday or tuesday. If building is out of the question, we will definitely put a modular on there. We can get a 4 bedroom that's a little over 1600 sf for 98,000 (that's with the stainless steel appliances). We may just put it on a slab dependening on how much basements costs. Then later when we build a garage we can put a basement under the garage if we want. Dh also mentioned putting a bigger master over the garage but I don't think that would be necessary. we'll see.

All the decent homes with enough room and yard for us around here are running at least $130,000. Building or putting a modular just seems the best way to go if we can pull it off.

We're just waiting on a few calls back. I called this afternoon to get an approximation on what things like septic, well drilling and basement/foundation would cost but no one was in - friday afternoon!!! We also have to pay for a crane service for the modular and maybe other things? If we can keep the total under $130,000 we should be able to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How exciting, I'll be looking forward to hearing your updates!
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you're looking at building, you might, for uniqueness, want to look at Deltec Round Homes. They're kit homes - so everything is pre-made and delivered on a truck, and they can be assembled in about a week after the foundation is done. A two story Augusta, about 1752 Sq Ft., is about $40-$47k depending on the technology you choose.

Personally, we LOVE the look of these homes.

http://www.deltechomes.com
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    If you're looking at building, you might, for uniqueness, want to look at Deltec Round Homes. They're kit homes - so everything is pre-made and delivered on a truck, and they can be assembled in about a week after the foundation is done. A two story Augusta, about 1752 Sq Ft., is about $40-$47k depending on the technology you choose.

Personally, we LOVE the look of these homes.

http://www.deltechomes.com
    do you know if these will pass code in ny state - that is the only thing i worry about. otherwise they look really nice. I know we can't put a double wide up there because of zoning. We can put a modular because they meet state regulations.

Registered User frugalandsimple's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lisettelovebug View Post
    do you know if these will pass code in ny state - that is the only thing i worry about. otherwise they look really nice. I know we can't put a double wide up there because of zoning. We can put a modular because they meet state regulations.
    I can't imagine they wouldn't - DIY's "Assembly Required" did a 2 parter episode on the Deltec's, which is where we heard of them, and the construction is IMPRESSIVE.

But you'ld have to talk to a Deltec rep to be sure.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well we found out that we can build a 1120 square foot split level house (with basement added in) for $103,900. Add in digging for basement, well drilling, septic, upgrade to boiler heat, etc for a little less than $130,000. we are still getting different prices for things and are hoping to get it down a little more. all appliances are included except the fridge. I've also included building permit, septic permit, and electric inspector coming out twice. I'm sure there will be more small fees. They have so many different colors and styles for flooring, cupboards, counters, etc. Dh was very impressed by the quality of products they use. Starting for a little bit more we could have even got a 2-story. Dh doesn't want a 2-story though.

A lot of stuff comes standard in the homes: http://www.brookside-homes.com/Features.aspx
    Usually stuff that's extra are upgrading to things like more expensive countertops, wood laminate floors, different door handles, etc. Here's the house we're lookin at: http://www.brookside-homes.com/5_4.htm It would be even less $$ if we were in PA - NY has stricter codes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice house! This is getting more exciting by the minute. Your right about planning for more expenses here & there. Hint, pay attention to those corner cabinets in the kitchen, unless they have a lazy susan or easy access they are such a pain & waste of space. Just a heads up. Sil had a house made & had this problem. Oh and after she got the place she realized there weren't enough cabinets & had to fit a small island with cabinets made.
    Thanks for sharing.
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Nice house! This is getting more exciting by the minute. Your right about planning for more expenses here & there. Hint, pay attention to those corner cabinets in the kitchen, unless they have a lazy susan or easy access they are such a pain & waste of space. Just a heads up. Sil had a house made & had this problem. Oh and after she got the place she realized there weren't enough cabinets & had to fit a small island with cabinets made.
    Thanks for sharing.
    yep the cabinets have lazy susans in corners. There may not be quite enough space. I figure there is plenty of space for an island or maybe one on wheels so I can move it? They're not that expensive and something we can add later if we find we need it. I like the pantry. Plus we will have space in the basement for my stockpile. We figure that it won't take much to do the basement - just need framing and drywall. We plan on putting a master bed and bath in basement, laundry room and a family room - maybe with a wood stove or something. Then the kids can have their own rooms.