Non-permanent solution to make 2 rooms out of 1?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Non-permanent solution to make 2 rooms out of 1?

I am home decorating challenged and mostly home organizationally challenged as well. I'm really hoping I can glean some ideas from y'all. We are going to be moving soon. We have 2 kids, boy and a girl, so a 3 bedroom house would be ideal. But, one of the houses we are looking at is a 2 bedroom.

If we purchase that one, I will want to take 1/4-1/3 of the living room and turn it into my son's room space. However, I want to give his space some privacy from the living room and the living room some privacy from his space. My first thought was to install actual cubicle walls to separate his area. But I'm worried about air flow with that. At least initially, we will have window air units and I'm afraid the cool air wouldn't go over the cubicle walls and his area would stay hot. But perhaps I could place a couple of fans in strategic areas (the room also has a ceiling fan) to get the air to flow over in there?

Has anyone else ever split a room for two different purposes? If there are any other ideas other than the cubicle walls, I'd love to hear them.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I house I grew up in had a big room upstairs that I shared with my sister. In order for us each to have our own room, Mom ran a rod down the center and hung a plastic bamboo type curtain. We each had privicy but air still flowed. It wasn't permanent and was removed when we got older.

In my first apartment I had one of those long tunnel livingroom/diniingroom/entry type rooms. We took cement blocks picked up off trash pile and the side of the road. Counter stacked them with hunks of board sticking out and made a divide wall. In the brick opening we put nic/nacs, between the bricks we stacked books and larger items. Air flowed and it was easy to take apart when we moved.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if you have a choice, get a larger house. as the kids approach adolescence the shared room will get rather weird and uncomfortable. think about being 15 and sharing a room with your brother.

plan ahead.

edited: I can't read. i still would get the larger house. having the boy in the living room would get tiresome too for everybody concerned.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 03-18-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Given that set up -- I think I would be more inclined to divide the master bedroom between the kids and take the smaller bedroom for parents.

I agree that having the boy in the living room is going to get very old very fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We lived in a studio apartment when DH was in grad school. To help create "rooms", we bought room divider screens at Christmas Tree Shops and set them up as needed. They looked kind of cool, too.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We divided our garage into two rooms. One is actual garage space and the other is a carpeted "living area" that has served us as a den area and now is now my art studio. Dh built floor to ceiling book shelves to divide the space. It was done cheaply, and they were backed with just pressboard, since they aren't totally permanent. The shelves faced the garage space, so we would have storage. Then the backs got painted to match the walls in the living space. You actually can't tell that it isn't a wall unless you look really closely.

And if you did something like this...you could leave strategic openings for fans and things to circulate the air.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Does the house you're looking at have a large attic or a finished basement? I'd look at those two as being options. I had a bedroom in the attic when I was 15 and it was great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did this once. I used the cheap bookcases from Walmart..if you watch for sales you can usually get them for about $10 each. I used them as a wall. Then I had room to put things on the shelves. There would be approximately 1 foot or so above the bookcases to the ceiling so you could then hang a short curtain or something to cover the area from the ceiling to the top of the bookcase. You then wouldn't have to worry about airflow.
    Nov No Spend Days - 1 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 261 /365
    2014 Nov Gas Challenge - 0 / $120
    Nov Keep Fit - 170 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the bookcase idea! Especially since I already have several of them - probably enough to do the job!

I guess I should clarify a little bit about what we are doing with buying a house considering my siggy says we are totally unemployed. I need to update that a bit. My husband is doing some freelance contract work now, so we are not 100% out of work at this point. We were there for a while, but things are looking up. We will probably never make the same amount of money we once did, just because of the nature of this economy but I think we will be able to hold our own.

We are not going into any debt for the home we purchase. We already own the one we are in with no mortgage and are selling it and will be purchasing the next with that money and not going over. So we're not digging any holes for ourselves here.

The bedroom-in-the-living-room arrangement will not be permanent. The plan is to add on another room as soon as we can, we just needed a solution for now. The house we are looking at is a 2 bedroom, but it is actually bigger than the comparable 3 bedrooms we've seen and it cost less money. We have been planning for this move for about 3 years now and it's all finally, finally coming to fruition and that just feels really good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to say bookcases so looks like you found your answer and with things on hand WTG

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was going to suggest the shelves that are open on both sides that you put the baskets in.

[media]http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0092716_PE229439_S4.JPG[/media]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bookcases really are the best option and will give a ton of storage. As for the top above I'd leave it open so the air can flow and just add a ceiling fan in the area. I think I would actually make a wall with the bookcases with a door in the center. For the door attach a curtain rod above and hang a pretty curtain between that can also be opened if more air flow is needed.

Also wanted to add if the bookcase backs are ugly you can either paint the backs, add bead board or something like that to the backs along with trim around the edges, starch some pretty fabric and attach it and trim it out with some trim, take brown paper bags and tear them..dip in glue and glue to the backs and paint (gives a leather like look).
    Last edited by heartofmine; 04-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.