How do I get it all done?( housework)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How do I get it all done?( housework)

This year I have four hours from the time I drop off the last child until I pick up the first child. How can I get everything done while they are all gone?

here is what needs to be done during those hours, not all everyday (Hubby is sure I have plenty of time to get it all done and have some freetime to myself)

Laundry (min. of every other day I have three bras and Hubby has three dress pants)
    internet (school grades and lunch money check, e-mails, FV, recipie and frugal searches etc)
    shopping ( grocery, misc shopping as needed)
    all charity work
    all women's meetings
    all house cleaning
    phone calls ( including ones to my mother)
    car (like oil changes)
    meal planning

How do you get it all done?
    Any ideas and how I can get it all done?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why do you have to get it *all* done while they are gone? And you don't specify how many women's meetings(?) and charity work you want to include in that schedule.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Why do you have to get it *all* done while they are gone? And you don't specify how many women's meetings(?) and charity work you want to include in that schedule.

I would like to get it done if at all possible while they are gone so we can have more time together when they are home. Also Hubby is sure I can all be done. But if it doesn't on occasion then Hubby and the kids are willing to pitch in and finish it up.

Once when my youngest he was having trouble getting his room cleaned he said "Cleaning isn't my favorite thing to do like it is yours!" I don't want my children and Hubby to remember me cleaning all the time ( my favorite thing LOL) I want them to remember me spending time with them, listening to their stories, helping with homework, playing games, cooking with them etc.

Charity and woman's meeting I have always tried to schedule during the day not cutting into family time. Doesn't always happen.

I have cut back so it is generally only 2 or 3 times a month (generally 2 to 3 hours morning or afternoon while the kids are in school)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You have to be organized with your time. You have to be realistic about what is going to get done. And you have to adjust your standards as needed. And if you can't do it all, get some help.

Can't get to laundry today? Can you wear that bra or pants a 2nd time? How dirty are they, really? If I'm at home doing laundry and scrubbing the fridge nobody sees me and I don't care if I'm wearing the same shirt I did yesterday, unless I spilled something on it and it really is dirty.

Buy everyone an extra pack of underwear to give yourself a few more days between laundry loads. Kids can help, too. They are capable of sorting darks and lights and hauling baskets to the washroom. And then taking them back to their rooms. Older kids can do their own wash, and folding too.

How do you spend your time? WHen you go out in the morning are you ready to go because you made your list and got coupons together the night before. Or are you the kind who piddles around in the morning before taking a shower, can't find what she needs, and then suddenly discovers she's LATE and then gets mad about it?

Or do you have a clear idea what you are doing tomorrow, where you need to go for errands and how long it takes for each task? Are the things you need ready to go? Shopping list, items to be returned with receipt, baby bag packed, maps to new places printed out, etc?

I have a friend who never has enough time for anything because she is always behind because she is too busy to plan. She never gets stuff ready the night before a big day out, doesn't plan her trip so she criss-crosses town several times and gets stuck in traffic. She says she "doesn't like to rush", so she wastes time farting around in the morning, and then starts her day by being late.

Meal planning, make this a family activity. Let everyone suggest a favorite dish. Have the kids list out ingredients and check the pantry for items. Let them help cook, too. If they are too young to use a knife, they can fetch ingredients, butter casserole dishes, stir, measure out ingredients, and help clean up.

Volunteering, are you doing this because you feel guilty? Or do you honestly have the time and energy for it?

Housework is another area where the whole family should be pitching in. You should not be cleaning up after anyone except babies. Everyone else should put their mess away when they are done. Newspaper in the recycle, dishes in the sink or dishwasher, books and toys put away, beds made, etc. This way you can vacuum, mop, clean the toilets, put dishes away, dust and wipe up the kitchen without having to move everyone else's crap out of the way first.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You may have to sit down and make up a schedule.
    I would do things by priority first.
    Example on the laundry, so you and hubby don't run out of clothes, that would be the the first load of the day.
    One day a week would be errands, like groceries, etc.
    Phone calls, cut back on the time per call.
    Charity work, cut back till you can see your way clear to fit them back in your schedule. Maybe every other week.
    Your family and sanity need to come first.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    You have to be organized with your time. You have to be realistic about what is going to get done. And you have to adjust your standards as needed. And if you can't do it all, get some help.

Can't get to laundry today? Can you wear that bra or pants a 2nd time? How dirty are they, really? If I'm at home doing laundry and scrubbing the fridge nobody sees me and I don't care if I'm wearing the same shirt I did yesterday, unless I spilled something on it and it really is dirty. I can wear a bra a second day if need be Not comfortable (hurts by back be has been done before) Hubby can not wear the same dress pants to work.

Buy everyone an extra pack of underwear to give yourself a few more days between laundry loads. Kids can help, too. They are capable of sorting darks and lights and hauling baskets to the washroom. And then taking them back to their rooms. Older kids can do their own wash, and folding too. Each child is responsible for getting their clothing down the chute (second floor to the basement) I'm teaching them to put their own laundry away

How do you spend your time? When you go out in the morning are you ready to go because you made your list and got coupons together the night before. Or are you the kind who piddles around in the morning before taking a shower, can't find what she needs, and then suddenly discovers she's LATE and then gets mad about it?
    I'm a planner. I shower and dress first thing in the morning.I'm the kind of girl who has the bed made before coming down for breakfast. I pick out my clothes the day before. I make a weekly menu on Thursday and shop on Friday I head straight there after dropping off the last child.

Or do you have a clear idea what you are doing tomorrow, where you need to go for errands and how long it takes for each task? Are the things you need ready to go? Shopping list, items to be returned with receipt, baby bag packed, maps to new places printed out, etc? On shopping day I do and on meeting days yes, On the other days not so much

I have a friend who never has enough time for anything because she is always behind because she is too busy to plan. She never gets stuff ready the night before a big day out, doesn't plan her trip so she criss-crosses town several times and gets stuck in traffic. She says she "doesn't like to rush", so she wastes time farting around in the morning, and then starts her day by being late.

Meal planning, make this a family activity. Let everyone suggest a favorite dish. Have the kids list out ingredients and check the pantry for items. Let them help cook, too. If they are too young to use a knife, they can fetch ingredients, butter casserole dishes, stir, measure out ingredients, and help clean up. I ask what they would like. Generally get a I don't care unless of course they have an idea that week. Hadn't thought about having them look in the pantry for things needed. They are good about putting things they know are need on the shopping list. They love cooking if they have the time to help

Volunteering, are you doing this because you feel guilty? Or do you honestly have the time and energy for it? I love doing this! I help out at Church. I do this is because I don't have an income to tithe my 10% (even though it is not required).

Housework is another area where the whole family should be pitching in. You should not be cleaning up after anyone except babies. Everyone else should put their mess away when they are done. Newspaper in the recycle, dishes in the sink or dishwasher, books and toys put away, beds made, etc. This way you can vacuum, mop, clean the toilets, put dishes away, dust and wipe up the kitchen without having to move everyone else's crap out of the way first.They are getting better about this. Hubby talked to them and showed them how much Mommy does. They worked about 5 hours each cleaning up their room, their stuff in other rooms, and the library room ( games, books, CD's etc). Hubby pointed out to them that we had been working 5 hours. He asked the how many people we working that 5 hours (they said two) Hubby said nope 4. He also pointed out to them that mommy only has 4 or 5 hours while they are away. He pointed out that mommy works hard at home, while they work hard at school, and he works hard at work. That when I (Mommy)ask them to do chores ( put away their laundry, clean their room, take out the trash, put their dishes in the dishwasher) I'm not asking them to do my work. It might be sinking in. I haven't received as many eye rolls, or groans etc. But it has only been three or so days.
    I answered your questions the best I could in red in the quote. Thought that might be easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    You may have to sit down and make up a schedule.
    I would do things by priority first.
    Example on the laundry, so you and hubby don't run out of clothes, that would be the the first load of the day.
    One day a week would be errands, like groceries, etc.
    Phone calls, cut back on the time per call.
    Charity work, cut back till you can see your way clear to fit them back in your schedule. Maybe every other week.
    Your family and sanity need to come first.
    How do I go about making a schedule?
    I shop on Fridays (so we have fun foods for Family night)
    How so I schedule the other days? Would it be a what needs to be done today sort of thing then most important first? Or Monday is a Fill in the blank day, Tuesday is This day Wednesday is That day etc sort of thing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Monday mornings I run errands. Tuesday morning, I go the other direction and run errands. Afternoons I am home now because I make the hubby pick up our newspaper on the corner 1/2 mile away. Saving me a trip to town. They won't come on our side road. About every other day I either put 1 or 2 loads of wash in early, to stay current. I do dishes early in the morning because I hate to do them in the evenings.
    Phone calls are short ones. Charity work when I do it is my knitting and I do that at home. So I don't have to be on anyone's elses time frame, only my own.
    I do what has to be done EARLY in the day. If a day I am running errands, I am home at lunch time to make a meal for the hubby. Supper time, I try to have at, the same time every day also. Keeps me on a schedule. I rarely watch TV anymore, so don't have that distraction.
    Chickens I check them about 3 times a day during the week. Hubby does that chore on the weekends.

When winter does get here with bad roads, I may do a whole lot of hibernating. I been stocking up stuff

I raised 7 , so I know the importance of a schedule. If the kid forgot to bring their load of clothes down that morning...each one had a certain day of the week assigned to them....well if they didn't ....it was another week before their clothes got washed again. I did 3 loads a day. Period. I folded it all, they only had to bring it down and then take it back up stairs and put it away.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    Monday mornings I run errands. Tuesday morning, I go the other direction and run errands. Afternoons I am home now because I make the hubby pick up our newspaper on the corner 1/2 mile away. Saving me a trip to town. They won't come on our side road. About every other day I either put 1 or 2 loads of wash in early, to stay current. I do dishes early in the morning because I hate to do them in the evenings.
    Phone calls are short ones. Charity work when I do it is my knitting and I do that at home. So I don't have to be on anyone's elses time frame, only my own.
    I do what has to be done EARLY in the day. If a day I am running errands, I am home at lunch time to make a meal for the hubby. Supper time, I try to have at, the same time every day also. Keeps me on a schedule. I rarely watch TV anymore, so don't have that distraction.
    Chickens I check them about 3 times a day during the week. Hubby does that chore on the weekends.

When winter does get here with bad roads, I may do a whole lot of hibernating. I been stocking up stuff

I raised 7 , so I know the importance of a schedule. If the kid forgot to bring their load of clothes down that morning...each one had a certain day of the week assigned to them....well if they didn't ....it was another week before their clothes got washed again. I did 3 loads a day. Period. I folded it all, they only had to bring it down and then take it back up stairs and put it away.
    Thanks seeing another schedule helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Write down everything that needs to be done in a week, then assign it a day. I found the easiest way to do this was to visit every room in the house with a notepad. Some things have to be done every day, some weekly, some monthly, some only once.

Mondays I change sheets, dust bedrooms and wash the upstairs floor. Tuesdays I clean bathrooms. Wednesday I clean the basement and the kitchen. Thursdays I clean the livingroom.

I make the beds and tidy the bedrooms when I get up. A load of laundry goes in the washer first thing in the morning. The livingroom is tidied up at the kids' bedtime, kitchen is cleaned up after supper.

If you want everything done in the four hours, clean first and work fast. Don't schedule cleaning on errand days. Go on the computer after other tasks are complete, otherwise it will eat up all your time.

Some things can be done in the car. I used to take paper & pen with me back when I was picking up dh after work, menu planning was done in the car while waiting for him to come out.

Make your phone calls at the end of your 4 hours, that way they can't go over. If you want to talk for 1/2 hour, dial out at the 3.5 mark, your time is up when it's time to go.

Keep an ongoing list of items needed as they come up, only shop once a week and bring the list.

Keep an ongoing list of things that need to be done, aside from your regular chores, and do them as you can. You can set aside a certain amount of time each day for this and just complete what you can in that time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a list that quickly became my morning routine. I can get it done in about 65 minutes.
    Married to DH 21 years
    Pet Mom to Miss Sassy and Samson

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
    I made a list that quickly became my morning routine. I can get it done in about 65 minutes.
    Do you want to share your list? Please

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

make the bed
    shower
    swish toilet
    wipe bath countertop
    put away dishes from previous night's dinner
    make breakfast
    wash breakfast dishes
    pickup all rooms
    take recycling out
    take dirty laundry down to laundry room
    sweep kitchen and vacuum family room
    iron any air dryed laundry

On certain days I have more tasks to do. Mondays or Tuesday are always laundry. Tuesday is yard work, Wednesday is bathroom cleaning, Thursday is a work day for me so I usually clean out my car before going to work and Friday is errand day. I try to reserve Saturday and Sunday for friends and family. On Sunday evenings I clean out the refrigerator. I have some activities that I do the 2nd and 4th Tuesday evening of the month. I hope this helps you.
    Married to DH 21 years
    Pet Mom to Miss Sassy and Samson

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks that does help

I have a good morning routine going (almost the same for years)
    Night time routine not quite as set and it is the middle I am having the hardest time with.

Morning Routine
    Wake up (6:30) and shower
    Dress/make bed/ clothing down the chute
    Wake up Little Miss/ help dress and hair her morning routine (rest of family already up)
    Make breakfast for me and Little Miss ( possible lunch for her)
    eat breakfast check e-mails and FV
    unload dishwasher and put away dishes
    sort and start laundry
    Take Little Miss to school (8:00)

Night time
    Get Little Miss moving on her nightime routine ( pick up PJ, pick out clothing for next day, quick pick up of her room, shower) She is quite good at this just needs company reminders to keep moving along as well as temperature appropriate clothing monitor
    While she does this I normally pick out what I will wear the next day and lay it out and get into PJ's

Dishwasher is loaded before bed and Living room blankets are folded and put up before bed.
    Quick check to see it dishes are in the dishwasher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's all about the choices you make. I chose to work full time because I find my job rewarding. But I wish I had 4 hours a day, during the week, to dedicate to "housework".

When I come home from work I make dinner then clean the dinner dishes. Feed and water my dogs. Pack lunch for the next day, make sure things are ready for the next day.

Some days I do laundry, dust, vacuum floors, clean bathrooms, run errands (on my way home), etc. While doing some of these chores I make phone calls. I may sit down and pay bills on the internet, crochet, do internet searches, etc.

I prioritize what I need to do. Everyone's time is precious, make the most of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast