Leave the computer on, or off?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Leave the computer on, or off?

I hear so many people say its better to leave the computer on for the computers sake, and it takes a lot more to turn it on and off than it does to just leave it on, but this has got to be bad for the electric bill right?

If I turned the computer off every night before bed do you think it would save me some money on the bill? Is it worth it? What do you do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've wondered the same thing. I don't wanna buy a new 'puter to save $20 on electricity.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Turn it off. The only thing that I can see that might cause issues in the long run, is when your computer is running, the CPU generates heat. Turning it off cools it down, causing it to contact, which could be hard on the soldering that holds it in place (this is incredibly doubtful IMO)

Businesses keep their computers on because they are on a network and need to be on to receive important updates when they are pushed out. This is not the case for a home PC.
    If you must keep the PC on, at least turn the monitor off, and activate standby mode or put it to auto sleep after so much time.

Look at it this way - modern televisions have a lot of the same components, circuitry, screen, etc as a computer. You don't leave your TV on 24/7 to save energy, do you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lottaLove View Post
    Turn it off. The only thing that I can see that might cause issues in the long run, is when your computer is running, the CPU generates heat. Turning it off cools it down, causing it to contact, which could be hard on the soldering that holds it in place (this is incredibly doubtful IMO)

Businesses keep their computers on because they are on a network and need to be on to receive important updates when they are pushed out. This is not the case for a home PC.
    If you must keep the PC on, at least turn the monitor off, and activate standby mode or put it to auto sleep after so much time.

Look at it this way - modern televisions have a lot of the same components, circuitry, screen, etc as a computer. You don't leave your TV on 24/7 to save energy, do you?
    Thanks for the great advise!! Can you tell me how I would put my computer on standby mode and how to get out of it and when I want to use the computer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have Windows, right click on the desktop anywhere, and select Properties. Go to Screen saver tab, select "Power"
    There you can select how many minutes before monitor, hard drive and system standby happen. Right now I have my monitor set to 15 minutes, hard drive to 30 minutes and system standby to 45 minutes. You could go lower/higher depending on how often you use the computer.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You want to shut it off at night. While the computer is on it generate heat which will shorten the lifespan of your components. It also keeps the fans running to cool it, and the bearings wear out. When a fan stops your cpu will fry.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much!! Our computer has not been turned off for about 6 months now!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lottaLove View Post
    If you have Windows, right click on the desktop anywhere, and select Properties. Go to Screen saver tab, select "Power"
    There you can select how many minutes before monitor, hard drive and system standby happen. Right now I have my monitor set to 15 minutes, hard drive to 30 minutes and system standby to 45 minutes. You could go lower/higher depending on how often you use the computer.
    Thanks---what is the difference between all these. I know what the monitor shut off is, but what do the others do? How do I get it to turn back on?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just shut it down anytime you will be away from it for over a half hour and turn it off at night. My sister did not turn hers off and she has burnt out several hard drives. I've had computers still running fine that were over 10 years old. I always shut them down at night at the very least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My computer-tech friends always told me once on, once off. I set it so it shuts down quickly when not in use, and turn the monitor off (save on phantom electricity use) if not in use for a prolonged period of time (when I'm out of the house). I turn ours off at night when we are done using it, but also have everything on a power strip and click it off so there is no phantom electricity used. It's also a safeguard from an unexpected lightening storm. I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to turn everything off if we have a storm because it's already been done each night.

We just put together a new computer and everything uses less energy than our old computer, so they are improving things in that category. The tower (Cooler Master) is also much cooler than any computer we've had before.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a great site that will help you when it comes to energy savings. He also sends weekly updates that are free to receive. He used to be active here on this site.

www.energyboomer.typepad.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had always wondered about this too. The Energy Boomer site looks interesting too - I'll have to spend some time there reading and see what I can do to cut the costs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info.......to all who posted. I always wondered about this too.

The website looks interesting. Will go back in to read more with more time.