Please help!! We have bed bugs! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    I hate bed bugs.

Some of this is redundant, some of it you've probably already tried but here is some information from the professional consultant we got the estimate from.

The professional would be using a dust that is shot into the walls (via socket/outlet access). The dust "dehydrates" and kills the bugs via contact and can last up to 6 months. He recommended an initial treatment (2-3 visits I think) followed by quarterly inspections and possible treatments if needed.

The initial treatment would also include steaming the mattress, box spring, and other cloth furniture to kill the bugs as they do not survive in temperatures over 113F or 135F (I can't remember which). They would also inspect any furniture that was brought into the house to prevent a reinfestation. A mattress should be covered AFTER it is steamed, foggers and some sprays will not penetrate the foam and linings to kill the ones inside. He also recommended getting the mattress OFF the floor.

Bedbugs will travel up walls and from rowhome to rowhome so as we fog we chase them to the surrounding neighbors and when they exterminate they chase them back to us. So it looks like the dust may make the most sense as a means of extermination.

I don't think this is going to be an easy problem to fix. The little buggers can live up to 18 months without a blood meal, they can hide in cracks that the thickness of a piece of paper can fit into, and they have multiple life stages between egg and adult.

They bite but don't tend to carry diseases like fleas or mosquitos, thank goodness, but they can cause itchiness if someone is sensitive/allergic to them, and an allergic reaction can develop over time. So some people my have had bed bug problems for months but not really notice the biting until one day they wake up itchy.

Foggers (Hot Shot) recommended fogging every 2 weeks but we found that didn't break the egg cycle well enough so we began fogging weekly. It made a tremendous difference in the comfort of our tenants and they also bagged their clothing, vacuumed more frequently, used mattress covers and kept things off the floor. These good people still get the occasional bite and I found living bugs as we pulled up the carpet and baseboards after 3 months of fogging weekly. These bugs are a menace to sanity!

Oh, I really hate bed bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    I hate bed bugs.

Some of this is redundant, some of it you've probably already tried but here is some information from the professional consultant we got the estimate from.

The professional would be using a dust that is shot into the walls (via socket/outlet access). The dust "dehydrates" and kills the bugs via contact and can last up to 6 months. He recommended an initial treatment (2-3 visits I think) followed by quarterly inspections and possible treatments if needed.

The initial treatment would also include steaming the mattress, box spring, and other cloth furniture to kill the bugs as they do not survive in temperatures over 113F or 135F (I can't remember which). They would also inspect any furniture that was brought into the house to prevent a reinfestation. A mattress should be covered AFTER it is steamed, foggers and some sprays will not penetrate the foam and linings to kill the ones inside. He also recommended getting the mattress OFF the floor.

Bedbugs will travel up walls and from rowhome to rowhome so as we fog we chase them to the surrounding neighbors and when they exterminate they chase them back to us. So it looks like the dust may make the most sense as a means of extermination.

I don't think this is going to be an easy problem to fix. The little buggers can live up to 18 months without a blood meal, they can hide in cracks that the thickness of a piece of paper can fit into, and they have multiple life stages between egg and adult.

They bite but don't tend to carry diseases like fleas or mosquitos, thank goodness, but they can cause itchiness if someone is sensitive/allergic to them, and an allergic reaction can develop over time. So some people my have had bed bug problems for months but not really notice the biting until one day they wake up itchy.

Foggers (Hot Shot) recommended fogging every 2 weeks but we found that didn't break the egg cycle well enough so we began fogging weekly. It made a tremendous difference in the comfort of our tenants and they also bagged their clothing, vacuumed more frequently, used mattress covers and kept things off the floor. These good people still get the occasional bite and I found living bugs as we pulled up the carpet and baseboards after 3 months of fogging weekly. These bugs are a menace to sanity!

Oh, I really hate bed bugs.
    You're right - that 2nd post was just a little redundant.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"Stuff it Greebo"
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just saw a story on tv today about using very high heat to kill them. it's done professionally but it's very expensive.also they threw out their beds, pillows etc.they even did it to her car and purse.maybe you could look up the story. I'm not sure where I saw it maybe good morning america or today show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you are able to get rid of them! We had an issue with fleas here for a few months. Just the thought of dealing with bed bugs is enough to make me insane!

Registered User happy_paws_haven's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do a search for

Kill Bed Bugs Safely with Diatomaceous Earth

I would post the link but don't have enough posts to do so.

Put Diatomaceous Earth (DE), but be sure to use the food grade, not the stuff for the swimming pool, down around the feet of the beds, chairs, etc. Bedbugs can't fly, they will have to crawl up and across something (bedpost, chair legs etc.) Put it down all around the house (the food grade DE is safe for humans and animals) and leave it down for 4 - 6 weeks. That should take care of the problem, if not repeat and make sure you get all the areas.

We use DE all the time for our rescues (dogs and cats) and around the yard. Don't have flea or tick problems any more, except on the new intakes and they are dusted with DE every few days and that takes care of the problem.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by happy_paws_haven; 08-31-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Happy PAWS Haven, Inc.
    No Kill, No Kennel, Non Profit cat and dog rescue
    http://www.happypawshaven.org

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, please try the Diatomaceous Earth. It is relatively inexpensive. We have been bed bug free for two years now after using the Mother Earth D brand. Now we keep a bit of the dust around the legs of the bed as a preventative. I would also recommend for anyone who travels a lot and might be worried about getting bed bugs to get some to put around your bed. If you follow the directions it is pretty harmless.

I think they should start recommending that everyone in areas where bedbugs are a problem put some of this dust around their house. I think the problem might not be as bad. Of course, the exterminators will lose some business.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel so bad for you! I was just reading an article in the newspaper the other day how they're making a huge comeback in the US. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do a search on diatomaceous earth and bed bugs. It's shown to kill them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12