Home Security System
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Home Security System

Do any of you have security systems and what are the best/ most economical, etc?

We are renting a house, but every time I hear about the terrible home invasion in Connecticut, I want to run out and buy a security system.

We are in a remote area close to a high-crime city... unfortunately, you just never know what could happen.

Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a pretty good one...lol

Protection by Ruger and Rottweiler...and Hubby.

Now on a more serious note, I really don't have any helpful input here...clueless...sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i dunno but not the one harry hamlin and lisa rinna have in their store LOL

they were on TV this am being interviewed live when they got a call their store was being robbed and HE was not happy with what the security system didnt do ( ie they didnt call the police is the best i can figure )
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's an web article about choosing a system

Home Security Systems 101--What to Know Before You Buy

I don't know anything about consumers digest, but they say these guys are the best buy

Home Security Systems | Alarm Systems | Protect America

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had ADT and they were ok. I have APX Alarm now and it's pretty great. We were able to go wireless with them and ditched ADT, plus our home phone. These guys are fantastic; if the alarm goes off, they call you in about 30 seconds.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have wireless ADT, runs me $41/month. No issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    I had ADT and they were ok. I have APX Alarm now and it's pretty great. We were able to go wireless with them and ditched ADT, plus our home phone. These guys are fantastic; if the alarm goes off, they call you in about 30 seconds.
    Same here. ADT was OK until we needed repairs. They also could not add wireless to our preexisting set up and wanted to charge $$$$ to upgrade. The pads wore out quickly also. It would also take them a while to call and sometimes they didn't.

APX not only set up the sunroom with door and window alarms, they put in glass break sensors which ADT refused to do. We have the speaker on the wall so we do not need our phone. They can listen in if there is no reply (no fear of just listening in - you can hear a noise). It is even more kid friendly if one of the kids has to deal with something. They also call periodically to see how everything is working.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a few "attempted" break ins in the neighborhood. Back doors were being rattled at 10 - 11 at night. My dog went bonkers one night but I assumed it was an animal.

Funny thing, about a week later an APX salesman came door to door through the neighborhood. Makes me wonder....
    Jeanne

Married to Frank 31 years, no children, 2 dogs

CC # 1 and # 2 PIF
    BEF $5,100Car Loan # 1 $16,000:
    Car Loan # 2 PIF
    RV LOAN $57,000/17,000
    HELOC 38,000/PIF

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey1341 View Post
    We had a few "attempted" break ins in the neighborhood. Back doors were being rattled at 10 - 11 at night. My dog went bonkers one night but I assumed it was an animal.

Funny thing, about a week later an APX salesman came door to door through the neighborhood. Makes me wonder....
    Hello Fellow Iowan!

The Des Moines Register prints crime reports on a weekly basis with a brief synopsis of the crime and a general area (i.e. attempted burglary at 2300 block of XYZ street). Usually those are the areas that ADT salesmen target.

I want a security system. Need to discuss with hubby.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Hello Fellow Iowan!

The Des Moines Register prints crime reports on a weekly basis with a brief synopsis of the crime and a general area (i.e. attempted burglary at 2300 block of XYZ street). Usually those are the areas that ADT salesmen target.

I want a security system. Need to discuss with hubby.
    Well DUH! Now it makes sense they just read the crime log in the paper!
    Jeanne

Married to Frank 31 years, no children, 2 dogs

CC # 1 and # 2 PIF
    BEF $5,100Car Loan # 1 $16,000:
    Car Loan # 2 PIF
    RV LOAN $57,000/17,000
    HELOC 38,000/PIF

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Having worked with quite a few companies in the industry - do not get 'conned' into thinking you need x, y AND z and then some. The 'rep' or 'security consultant' is just a glorified sales rep. Their job is to upsell you from the basic pkg of 2 door contacts and 1 motion detector. Once you add pieces, your monitoring fee seems to increase. Get what you feel is appropriate for your home and ask what the rep can do for you with regards to police registration fees for your area, admin fees, even your monthly fee - ALWAYS ask and be FIRM when asking for something back from the rep. Do not fall for the extra door contact trick either - its a fiddly piddly bit used as a marketing ploy.

I've learned a lot of tricks from being in the industry and the reps are all sharks unless you hit home with them...then they try to help you get a butt kickin system for a low price. Also, if they seem to 'rush' your appt/home walk through - tell them you're not comfortable with them and ask them to schedule another visit by a different rep. (most likely they're trying to cram more home visits into the day in hopes of bullying/fear mongering you by making it seem like its a now or never type deal)

Once you have your ideal system figured out - pieces/placement wise - ask them to come back another day after you've had time to think about it and discuss with your family. This will ultimately irk the rep but a reputable one will gladly accept that from you and respect your wishes. Usually those are the great reps.

Lastly, the sales reps knowledge should be enough but when it comes time to book your installation - be sure to ask them about the type/model of system you've purchased and if it will work in your home - wireless/hard wired. Sometimes they can't hard wire something in your house b/c of the way its built. Trust the installation team vs sales rep - reps say whatever they can to get the sale. Having been on the other end of the phone and been blasted often - I know this will help you in the long run. Even ask the rep to write a clause on the 'sales order' that if the house can not be hard wired or installed that you are not legally bound to a 3 yr term of monitoring. Cover yer butts people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always wondered about the reps that you invite into your home. I kinda feel like they could "case the joint" I mean they would know how to override your system that they sold you. I am very leery of letting strangers into my home.

Luckily I have huge dogs that love to bark and growl. That should stop most people

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one I forget who it is....lol I decide I needed to get one. We have a thief 2 doors downs. He was released from prison 3 months ago and things started to come up missing. Everyone around here knew who did it. He tried to rob the store across the street. Hes locked up again but who knows for how long.
    A good investment for me.
    Ferm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have one and it is great. direct connection to police/fire/ems and the alarm company. they call instantly - even in a power outage. if they dont get me or dh, the call neighbor or brothernlaw immediately...and police are dispatched immediately. we have sensors at the top and bottom of the stairs also and on windows and all doors. gives me (and dh)peace of mind as he travels quite a bit. ours is a local company that we personally know the owner and his son. we do not live in a high crime area - in fact we are one of the tops in the country for lowest crime rates (our suburb that is)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i disconnected mine. all they do is call you and tell you the alarm is going off.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast