Housekeeping Routine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Housekeeping Routine

Regardless of whether or not you have a cleaning schedule (ie cleaning certain rooms on certain days), do you have a housekeeping routine?

I tried to go back to scheduling tasks, but was never getting to the things I had scheduled. The house was chaos all the time, I never knew what I was doing at any point in the day.

I finally realized that it was the routine, the habits, that were missing. My days were so messed up with driving everyone around, and I hadn't formed any new routines for getting things done.

A couple weeks ago I started making an effort to do certain tasks at the same time everyday (not exactly same time, but the same sequence), and am happy to say that it is starting to feel automatic. The house is now staying presentable, and I'm finding time to work on all those things that I was putting off because I didn't know where to start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My home is a wreck right now We've been busy outside of the house and things have fallen by the wayside for too long. Compounding this issue is that we are now bringing our tools back into the house and have a wall of tubs sitting in the middle of the room with no place to put them just yet. We'll also be pulling items out of the tubs as we need them for the final projects at the rental.

I have an excellent cleaning routine for other peoples homes... but not my own.

I'll definitely be giving this some thought as I start to organize then finally clean. Thanks for giving a different perspective for me.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use to . I use to do the kitchen everyday.The downstairs Mon, Wed, and Fri sweep, mop, vaccum, and deep clean the downstairs bathroom . Do mirrors and dust on one of those days. The up got the same on Tues, Thur, and Sat. The pets got water, food, and litter daily. laundry done every day. sounds like it would work but taking care of MIL takes up a lot of my time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyday I just pick up any clutter. I will lose things if it's not all put in it's proper place lol

Will do my cleaning, laundry, and etc during the weekend. I'm usually too beat after work for that stuff...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I miss having a routine but the way that everyones schedules align, things get done when they get done.

The only guaranteed things - garbage & recycling get taken out Tuesday night, bathroom gets cleaned & laundry gets done once a week - everything else is gravy and gets done when time permits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keeping to a schedule helps. If I didn't clean daily and stay organized I'd never be able to keep up. There are things I do every day and others as needed.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My wife handles most of the general indoor cleaning, which she used to always do on Sunday afternoons when I went to work. Since my schedule changed, I think she does it Thursday evenings. I'll occasionally do things for her, if I see something that needs attention, but it's more spur of the moment. She does her laundry every week, I do mine whenever I run out of boxers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have to stick pretty rigidly to my housekeeping routine otherwise the place looks like a bomb has went off, strewing debris comprising mostly of clothes, file paper and books all over.

I've found that beginning with a quick tidy of the living room every day after work sets me up for doing a quick tidy of the other rooms. Yet if I do dishes first then nothing else gets done, for some reason...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used to have a great routine for cleaning. Need to get back to a routine again. Having a cluttered house makes me feel uneasy. I enjoy spending time at home so I really need to get back to a routine so I feel more rested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squidge View Post

I've found that beginning with a quick tidy of the living room every day after work sets me up for doing a quick tidy of the other rooms. Yet if I do dishes first then nothing else gets done, for some reason...
    I am exactly the same! If I start with dishes, I won't do anything else.

I am doing an "all-over" tidy in the mornings when I get back from whatever I happen to be doing that morning (sometimes just driving people to work/school, sometimes other errands). I start in my bedroom and end in the kitchen - if I go the opposite direction I never get past the sink.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with ya shoiji. Having a cluttered home makes me uneasy. Crazy in my head like, just can't function. Trying to dig out from under of years of clutter, I'm getting there. I lost my giddy up on keeping up with everything and it's just a wreck around here. Lots of work ahead.

I used to have an index card system. Mon I did ABC, then Tuesday DEF and so on. Then a monthly card system, Week 1 ABC, Week 2 DEF, and so on. Then a season card system, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. I kept it all in a card file and would move the cards back as each day passed. Worked for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't really have a routine. I pretty much do some type of cleaning and picking up everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post

I am doing an "all-over" tidy in the mornings when I get back from whatever I happen to be doing that morning (sometimes just driving people to work/school, sometimes other errands). I start in my bedroom and end in the kitchen - if I go the opposite direction I never get past the sink.

I also have this problem! I wonder why that is?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2krj View Post
    I also have this problem! I wonder why that is?
    That's comforting I am not alone! I am not 100% sure why that's the case, but -for me - it might be because I dislike doing dishes so much and they take such a long time, that once I'm done with them I honestly cannot be bothered doing anything else

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothin' here. When the fancy strikes, so do I.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast