Zote vs Fels Naptha - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    are you sure: i see beef fat, cocnut oil, or palm oil soap here

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)
    "Of great concern is pentasodium pentetrate or tetrasodium etidronate :They are generally synthetic and periodically one of has been banned as a carcinogen."Source: Per Lindas research at free spirit emporium

. Tetrasodium EDTA is a preservative that’s made from the known carcinogen, formaldehyde and sodium cyanide. (see how) It is also a penetration enhancer, meaning it breaks down the skin's protective barrier, going right into your bloodstream. Many companies trying to be "natural" will use Tetrasodium EDTA instead of parabens to preserve their products. In my opinion, Tetrasodium EDTA is just as bad. Source: http://www.bubbleandbee.com/topfivechemicals.html in the article top 5 chemicals to avoid.

Per MSDS HYDROCARBONS, TERPENE PROCESSING BY-PRODUCTS CAS# 68956-56-9SHeet : Which is an oil base so petroleum is my understanding. Could be wrong.

Last I knew this is what it contained. It is my understanding Dial owns it now. Here is the information they had it contain before the switch per gov. site. I am looking for MSDS sheet now and will include at the end. Because the one Stoddard is a nerve agent seems like they might have removed that one once Dial took over . But not sure. Here is for your reference.

Material Safety Data Sheet (the MSDS ), Fels-Naphtha contains...
    Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
    Stoddard solvent 008052-41-3
    Fatty acids, C8-C18 and C18-unsaturated, sodium salts 067701-10-4
    Hydrocarbons, terpene processing by-products Terpene processing by-products

Product Name: Fels-Naphtha Heavy Duty Laundry Bar Soap-Old Product
    Form: solid
    Product Category: Inside the Home » Cleaner » laundry
    Inside the Home » Detergent » laundry
    Inside the Home » Laundry » detergent/soap
    Customer Service: 800-527-2869
    Date Entered: 1996-08-21
    Related Items: Products with similar usage in this database

Manufacturer
    Manufacturer: Dial Corporation, The
    Subsidiary of Henkel KGaA
    Address: 15501 N. Dial Boulevard
    City: Scottsdale
    State: AZ
    Zip Code: 85260
    Telephone Number: 480-754-3425
    Toll Free Number: 800-258-3425
    Date Info Verified: 2009-03-06
    Related Items: Products by this manufacturer
    The following information (Health Effects, Handling/Disposal, and Ingredients) is taken from the product label and/or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) prepared by the manufacturer. The National Library of Medicine does not test products nor does it evaluate information from the product label or the MSDS. (What is an MSDS?)

Health Effects
    Enter text or highlight term...
    Acute Health Effects: From MSDS Inhalation: Dust may cause mild irritation of the mucous membranes. Eye Contact: May cause irritation. Skin Contact: May cause irritation with drying, redness, and cracking due to the defatting action on the skin. Dermatitis may result from repeated or prolonged contact. Ingestion: May cause irritation of the throat and gastrointestinal tract, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Aspiration into the lungs could possibly occur causing chemical pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, hemorrhage, and possibly, death. Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing skin conditions.
    Chronic Health Effects: From MSDS Toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product's components. Stoddard solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper resp
    Carcinogenicity: From MSDS The ingredients in this product are not identified as carcinogens or potential carcinogens by NTP, IARC and OSHA.
    Health Rating: 1
    Flammability Rating: 1
    Reactivity Rating: 0
    HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
    N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
    MSDS Date: 1997-03-27

Handling/Disposal
    Handling: From MSDS Store away from incompatible substances (strong oxidizers, acids, bases, chlorine). May burn but does not ignite readily. Avoid contact with incompatible substances and excessive heat.
    Disposal: From MSDS Observe all federal, state and local regulations when storing or disposing of this substance.

Ingredients from MSDS/Label
    Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
    Stoddard solvent 008052-41-3
    Fatty acids, C8-C18 and C18-unsaturated, sodium salts 067701-10-4
    Hydrocarbons, terpene processing by-products Terpene processing by-products 068956-56-9

Source: Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

# age 1 of 4
    # MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
    # MSDS L-101 REVISION 6
    # ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # DISTRIBUTED BY:
    # THE DIAL CORPORATION
    # CENTER FOR INNOVATION MEDICAL EMERGENCIES: 1-888-689-9082
    # 15101 NORTH SCOTTSDALE ROAD CHEMTREC: 1-800-424-9300 (24 Hours Daily)
    # SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA 85254-9934 OTHER INFORMATION: 1-888-468-6673
    # SUBSTANCE IDENTIFICATION
    # SUBSTANCE: HEAVY DUTY LAUNDRY BAR SOAP
    # TRADE NAMES/SYNONYMS: FELS NAPTHA - HEAVY DUTY LAUNDRY BAR SOAP
    # CHEMICAL FAMILY: Mixture
    # I.D. NUMBERS: 904439
    # NFPA RATINGS (Scale 0-4, where 4=high degree of hazard): HEALTH=1 FLAMMABILITY=1 REACTIVITY=0
    # HMIS RATINGS (Scale 0-4, where 4=severe hazard): HEALTH=1 FLAMMABILITY=1 REACTIVITY=0
    # This product is labeled in accordance with regulations administered by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The
    # use pattern and exposure in the workplace are generally not consistent with those experienced by consumers. The
    # requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration applicable to this Material Safety Data Sheet differ
    # from the requirements of the CPSC and as a result, this MSDS may contain additional health hazard information not
    # pertinent to consumer use and not found on the product label.
    # HAZARDOUS INGREDIENT INFORMATION
    # COMPONENT: SODIUM SOAP CAS# 67701-11-5 & 67701-10-4
    # SOAP DUST = PARTICULATES NOT OTHERWISE CLASSIFIED (PNOC):
    # 15 mg/m3 OSHA TWA (total dust); 5 mg/m3 OSHA TWA (respirable fraction)
    # 10 mg/m3 ACGIH TWA (total dust); 3 mg/m3 ACGIH TWA (respirable fraction)
    # COMPONENT: HYDROCARBONS, TERPENE PROCESSING BY-PRODUCTS CAS# 68956-56-9
    # Carcinogen status of components: Not listed as carcinogenic by NTP, IARC, or OSHA.
    # PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL DATA
    # DESCRIPTION: Tan or brown bar. SOLUBILITY IN WATER: Nearly complete.
    # FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA
    # FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD - The fire hazard for this product has not been determined. The hazard(s) of the
    # component(s) with the most severe hazard(s) are:
    # Slight fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame.
    # FIRE FIGHTING MEDIA - Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam. For larger fires, use water spray, fog
    # or regular foam.
    # FIRE FIGHTING - Do not scatter spilled material with high - pressure water streams. Dike fire-control water for later
    # disposal. Use agents suitable for type of surrounding fire. Avoid breathing hazardous vapors, keep upwind.
    # MSDS L-101 (Rev. 6
    # Page 2 of 4
    # HEALTH HAZARD DATA
    # NOTE: The acute health effects described below are those which could potentially occur for the finished product. They
    # are based on the toxicology information available for the finished product and/or each hazardous ingredient, and are
    # consistent with the product type and the likelihood of a specific route of exposure. Known chronic health effects related to
    # exposure to a specific ingredient are indicated.
    # ACUTE HEALTH EFFECTS:
    # INHALATION: Dust may cause mild irritation of the mucous membranes.
    # SKIN CONTACT: May cause irritation with drying, redness, and cracking due to the
    # defatting action on the skin. Dermatitis may result from repeated or prolonged contact.
    # EYE CONTACT: May cause irritation.
    # INGESTION: Ingestion may cause irritation of the throat and gastrointestinal tract, nausea, vomiting, and
    # diarrhea. Aspiration into the lungs could possibly occur causing chemical pneumonitis and
    # pulmonary edema.
    # CHRONIC HEALTH EFFECTS: None known.
    # MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS BEING AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE: Pre-existing
    # skin conditions.
    # EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES
    # INHALATION: Immediately remove from exposure area to fresh air. Keep affected person warm and at rest. Treat
    # symptomatically and supportively. Contact physician or local poison control center. If breathing has stopped, give
    # artificial respiration, and get medical attention immediately.
    # SKIN CONTACT: Rinse affected area with plenty of water until no evidence of product remains. Get medical
    # attention if irritation persists.
    # EYE CONTACT: Immediately rinse eyes with plenty of water, occasionally lifting upper and lower lids, until no
    # evidence of product remains. Get medical attention if pain or irritation persist.
    # INGESTION: Immediately get medical attention. DO NOT induce vomiting. Treat symptomatically and supportively.
    # Maintain airway and respiration. If vomiting occurs, keep head below hips to prevent aspiration. Dilution by rinsing
    # the mouth and giving water or milk to drink is generally recommended. If unconscious, the victim should not be given
    # anything to drink.
    # REACTIVITY
    # REACTIVITY - Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
    # INCOMPATIBILITIES: Strong oxidizers, acids, bases, chlorine.
    # DECOMPOSITION - Thermal decomposition may release toxic and/or hazardous gases.
    # POLYMERIZATION - Hazardous polymerization has not been reported to occur under normal temperatures and
    # pressures.
    # STORAGE AND DISPOSAL
    # MSDS L-101 (Rev. 6
    # Page 3 of 4
    # Store away from incompatible substances. Observe all federal, state and local regulations when storing or disposing of
    # this substance.
    # CONDITIONS TO AVOID
    # May burn but does not ignite readily. Avoid contact with incompatible substances and excessive heat.
    # SPILL AND LEAK PROCEDURES
    # OCCUPATIONAL SPILL - Sweep up and place in suitable clean, dry containers for reclamation or later disposal. Do not
    # flush spilled material into sewer. Keep unnecessary people away.
    # OCCUPATIONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
    # VENTILATION - Provide local exhaust ventilation to meet permissible exposure limits where generation of dust is likely to
    # occur.
    # RESPIRATOR - Air contamination monitoring should be carried out where generation of dust is likely to occur to assure
    # that the employees are not exposed to harmful concentrations exceeding permissible exposure limits. If respiratory
    # protection is required, it must be based on the contamination levels found in the workplace, must not exceed the working
    # limits of the respirator and be jointly approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and the Mine
    # Safety and Health Administration (NIOSH-MSHA).
    # FOR FIRE FIGHTING AND OTHER IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS TO LIFE OR HEALTH CONDITIONS -
    # Any self-contained breathing apparatus that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positivepressure
    # mode. Any supplied-air respirator that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other
    # positive-pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self-contained breathing apparatus operated in pressuredemand
    # or other positive-pressure mode.
    # CLOTHING - Protective clothing is required where repeated or prolonged skin contact may occur.
    # GLOVES - Chemical-resistant gloves are required where repeated or prolonged skin contact may occur.
    # EYE PROTECTION - Dust-proof safety glasses are required to prevent eye contact where dusty conditions may occur.
    # REGULATORY INFORMATION
    # DOT FLAMMABILITY CLASSIFICATION: Not applicable.
    # EPA - SARA TITLE III SECTION 313: Not applicable - Consumer product.
    # TSCA: All components of this product are listed or are exempted or
    # excluded from listing on the U.S. Toxic Substances Control Act
    # (TSCA) chemical substance inventory.
    # MSDS L-101 (Rev. 6
    # Page 4 of 4

Hope that helps. Not sure but put sources for you to research any needs. Maybe with the way companies change material, handlers etc there has been a change. Use what is best for your individual family needs, and concerns.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 09-04-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

tetrasodium EDTA is a harmless chelating agent that's in ice cream, and just about everything we eat.

there are no terpenes or stoddards solvent listed in the ingredients above. just soap.

according to wikipedia (i know... )

"Fels-Naptha USED to contain Stoddard solvent, a skin and eye irritant. According to the ingredients list on the Fels-Naptha website, Stoddard solvent is no longer included in the soap.[1]

Stoddard solvent is another name for MINERAL SPIRITS, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation.[3]"

terpenes are in pine sol and paint thinner.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 09-05-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    tetrasodium EDTA is a harmless chelating agent that's in ice cream, and just about everything we eat.

there are no terpenes or stoddards solvent listed in the ingredients above. just soap.

according to wikipedia (i know... )

"Fels-Naptha USED to contain Stoddard solvent, a skin and eye irritant. According to the ingredients list on the Fels-Naptha website, Stoddard solvent is no longer included in the soap.[1]

Stoddard solvent is another name for MINERAL SPIRITS, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation.[3]"

terpenes are in pine sol and paint thinner.
    I did say at the beginning that this was from the gov. site......I did say that Dial did take over since then and might have removed the Stoddard which was found to be a nerve problem. I never even mentioned this as a problem in my original post , did also say it might have been removed.

Per MSDS HYDROCARBONS, TERPENE PROCESSING BY-PRODUCTS CAS# 68956-56-9SHeet : Which is an oil base so petroleum is my understanding. Could be wrong. It is still listed on the new MSDS sheet/ This was mainly what I was talking about....but put the other information with links for you to research and come to your own conclusions which you have that is fine. I appreciate your help and thoughtful insight on .

I did give the MSDS sheet which stated there was a a question of a petroleum product. I did state to do your own research and make your own decisions based on.
    Yes the ingredient above is considered to be "harmless" by some, not by others. All in the choices of each . I did say at the beginning some use these soaps interchangeably chose your own, make your own choices. I will bow out make your own choice and research. Blessings all on your journeys. Everyone has different needs, standards, allergies, concerns of what they want and don't want in a product. That is the beauty of the consumer, research and choices. Feel free to disregard mine. I usually don't try to put much on here anymore ... and will continue with that practice now . There is some information you will find on ingredients through MSDS sheets, there are things that can give you clues at times. With trade secrets etc. not all has to be listed on the ingredients .

On a different note...With the FDA now there are certain ingredients in foods that don't have to be put on the label... and can be listed under natural flavoring etc.... so you won't always see the actual ingredients for some things. Most are "harmless" and they don't want the consumer confused....lol j. Sorry to have rambled or put too much.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Won't put anymore of these posts ...lol and stick to frugal. Blessings all....
    Last edited by HappyMama; 09-05-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

*scroll, scroll, scroll*

I use FN in my dry soap... I haven't made the liquid because it's a lot heavier for me to carry. I'll make it if/when we finally move and I have a machine of my own.

I tried Zote and it's "okay". I will never wash OldMan's uniforms in it. I ended up mixing in a bottle of Dollar Tree version of OxyClean in with it. We use it now for things like bathroom rugs etc.

FN on the other hand... I love, love, love it. I grate it all by hand and I find it easier if I take the wrapper off the night before.

I have all the ingredients to make more, and I have thought about sitting on the porch bench with my huge bowl and hand grater... but, I still have over 1/4 bottle left and that will bring us well in to the New Year! (It's a big bottle )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry all shouldn't have put this up to confuse the post or choices. Have asked to have deleted. Sorry for confusion. Enjoy making your laundry soaps, a great way to save money. Will just stick to yes many use these interchangeably and like. I love my recipe as well works good and saves money. Sorry all and Nishu. I have been dealing with a terminal lung issue in my family and should not have posted .
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    Sorry all shouldn't have put this up to confuse the post or choices. Have asked to have deleted. Sorry for confusion. Enjoy making your laundry soaps, a great way to save money. Will just stick to yes many use these interchangeably and like. I love my recipe as well works good and saves money. Sorry all and Nishu. I have been dealing with a terminal lung issue in my family and should not have posted .
    Please don't be sorry, I always like your additions to the conversation even if they are a little dry to read.

I'm very sorry to hear about your fam.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it's great that people research their product, provide opinions, experiences.

Thank you ladies for sharing your wisdom!

Here are some more msds for some chelants made by Dow Chemical.

http://www.dow.com/webapps/msds/MSDS...txtSortExp=ASC
    Last edited by Gabe; 09-09-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend makes her own detergent and uses felsnaptha it's cheap and smells good I've used to clean my son's baseball pants does a great job!
    Loving Wife to Ken 30 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer zote. Fels Naptha was causing some burning from our under garments being washed with it.
    I use dawn dish detergent,fells naptha, and folex carpet stain remover to remove stains from clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was in our local Walmart today and happened to see a box of Zote soap flakes as well as the Zote bar soap. The flakes come in a 17.6 oz box. I've used Fels Naptha in the past (5.5 oz bar). The Fels Naptha is $.97 per bar and the Zote flakes are $2.97. This comes out to 16.5 oz of Fels Naptha for $2.91 and $2.97 for 17.6 oz of Zote flakes. I plan to try the Zote in my next batch of liquid laundry soap. The soap flakes are so thin, I think they will melt quite easily. I found my first bar of Fels Naptha at an ACE Hardware store, but it looks like our Walmart is carrying it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12