Zote vs Fels Naptha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Zote vs Fels Naptha

The walmart near us carries both of them. I think Fels is about 5 oz and Zote is 14, but they're both the same price. Does it matter which one I use in my laundry recipe? Does anyone prefer one over the other?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I myself have only used the Fels Naptha for making dry and liquid laundry detergent. I've not see the Zote soap before around here. Wonder if its a local thing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it must be, because I've never seen it before we moved here. I just opened up the zote and had a good look and I'm not sure how well it's going to work for the dry laundry soap. It's a lot softer and it probably won't grate well. I might try to make the liquid type, I guess. I've never done that before.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used the Zote before in the dry homemade laundry soap...worked fine for me. I just cut up the soap into small blocks and shredded it up in an old food processor. I've found Zote, (cheaper than Fels Naptha), in several stores in my area-North Alabama, but had a hard time finding the Fels Naptha...go figure. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer Fels Naptha for making laundry detergent. For some reason the Zote left an odd film in my washing machine. I didn't use the whole bar because it was so much larger by weight. I've been using the leftover part of the bar as a spot/stain remover and it works wonders, especially on bloodstains. I just wet the corner and rub it into the stain. It works so well, and I've been using that same piece of a bar for going on two years. I won't make any more detergent with it but will always keep it around as a stain remover.
    Erika

married to my love since 1989
    mom of 3 amazing adults that grew up WAY too fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never heard of Zote soap - but it's good to hear that it works well on stains!! Love the name!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never found zote only in the last few months have found fels naptha.I did get some fels naptha soap,washing soda,and borax today to try my hand at making the powder detergent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I've used Zote in my homemade detergent for over a year. I couldn't find it the last time I went so my current batch is FN. Ounce for ounce Zote makes a thicker, more scented detergent. Zote freshens better too. I have to use more of the FN detergent on towels otherwise they aren't fresh enough for me.
    Both detergents get out surface dirt, deodorant, perfume, sweat, and most foods. But Zote is absolutely awful for anything with oil or bodily fluids. You can get to the stuff immediately, pre-treat, soak, even add laundry boosters and it will not come out.
    It's almost like adding the Zote sets in stuff so it stains. My hand towels had imperceptible stains last year but after a year of homemade detergent the stains are darkening. Even bleach didn't help. I'm going to have to replace them. Urg.
    FN is much better on cloth diaper messes than the Zote. The whites are white! But I do use more FN than I did Zote because of the freshness factor.
    I'm at the point now that I want to keep some branded detergent on hand for really messy stuff and use the homemade for regular stuff.
    So I vote FN but put some essential oil in it or something. My next batch will have some added scent.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried the Zote, but FN is doing very well for us! We did add essential oil to it, simply because I prefer the scent. I've had to wash my towels in HOT water a couple of times this summer just because they have been left over night in the washer or hamper. I haven't noticed any changes in my laundry (cleaner or not) or my washer (no film or anything), but I do find myself using more simply because it is thinner than store-bought (maybe I added too much water). HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I first learned about Zote from a Mexican friend. She always bought hers at a Mexican store and that is the only place I have seen it. I've never seen Fels Naptha sold anywhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've only ever made homemade laundry detergent with Zote and I don't think Fels Naptha is available in my area. I haven't noticed that it causes stains to be set in as nuisance26 has, and it does not aggravate DH's or my sensitive skin. Works for me.

2014 Project Challenges:
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge: 7/20 complete :-)

Just trying to keep on keeping on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    The walmart near us carries both of them. I think Fels is about 5 oz and Zote is 14, but they're both the same price. Does it matter which one I use in my laundry recipe? Does anyone prefer one over the other?
    They both have petroleum in them, if you want to avoid you can use Dr. Bronners or homemade etc. I use a dry recipe. Otherwise I know many use the above choices interchangeably. Have fun making yours there are so many scents you can use.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those who can't find the FN in regular stores....try hardware stores. real ones, not the box stores. Places like an Ace Hardware or one of the others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can get both in my local walmart now as well. For a long while I could only find the FN in my local Price Chopper(grocery store) Next time I am in the market for bar detergent I may look into Zote. But as of right now, I have about 4 bars of FN to use up first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    They both have petroleum in them, if you want to avoid you can use Dr. Bronners or homemade etc. I use a dry recipe. Otherwise I know many use the above choices interchangeably. Have fun making yours there are so many scents you can use.
    are you sure: i see beef fat, cocnut oil, or palm oil soap here

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast