Can you clue me in on how to sell a home~ please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good point about Zillow etc and homes being sold in the last 7-8 years. Zillow has ours 30K below assessed tax value. I saw the one down the road on there and they have them 60K below the asking price. BTW I wonder if it is sold. The sign is gone.

Thanks for the formula to figure that out Constance. That makes sense. I shall do those calculations. I know we got a good price in 98.

Stinkbug thanks. I didnt know they would share that info for free! I can have a few out I take it to get a feel for who we like?

I used the DR site to look up his ELP. I spoke with her over the phone and she was very nice. However she is about 85 minutes away! She says that is a non issue but I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel like I've read this conversation before? Have you posted about this or the Amish guy wanting to buy your house or did that really happen recently - with a year or two?

My thoughts:
    * organize your stuff/clutter. If you can't remove it to store it, organize it so its presentable. Its one thing to have a lot of stuff but if your stuff is overly organized...that may help the potential buyers be less distracted by stuff and focus more on the house. Use large totes and then lay a table cloth over top, add a lamp and voila - instant table! (No the lamp doesn't need to work either )

* closets and cupboards. Potential buyers do look inside to see how much space is available and/or whats behind the doors to see where they go. If you have hanging organizers on the doors in closets/cabinets, remove them to open up the space visually.

* lighting, make sure there's ample so that it seems like you're not hiding anything.

* scents - Do you have pets? Do you smoke? You may not recognize these smells anymore b/c you currently live in it but other non pet owners/non smokers pick them right away. Same with musty/stagnant air. If possible air out the place and don't use a lot of air freshener sprays/plug ins etc. That may signal that you're trying to hide a maintenance issue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have had Amish stop several times over the years. The most recent was last summer and we had planned to stay 2 more years at that time. Good memory Libby! We never thought of actually selling until recently though.

No smoking and a big yes to the pets. m Thanks for the tips!

We found a place in the area we work in that we just loved. I told dh we need to get this listed before we can even think of making an offer. If it is still there in a few weeks when we are ready~ great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would ask for referrals for agents if you plan in using an agent and interview three. We did this in our last house and it worked out well.
    Starting Fresh and Not Kicking Myself

beginning of 2013 - Total debt 166712.68

October 4 - total debt 162610.11

difference of 4102.57

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Mom2three! Can you give me a clue on how to interview agents? I dont know anyone that has bought or sold in the last few years to ask . I'll start asking around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with your house selling - try to remain patient! Our house has been on the market since March and it might be there for longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Change the bathroom tiles and fittings. This is something which I made sure was done before we bought our new house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are not ready yet to list but we have had 3 Amish families stop out by word of mouth ( in the last week)that we were going to sell. I had 2 of them going through the house yesterday. My house is a mess! We ripped out carpet and have old painted , peeling wood floors that still have a bit of pad stuck! . I have stuff and boxes all over from painting upstairs. I was embarrassed having people in the house when it was such a mess! The second Amish man made an offer on the spot but I believe it is at least a good 15k below ( at the least) what we can expect. He asked gave me his address and asked me to please stop out once we have a price. I need to interview agents soon or get an appraisal. I'm leaning more towards an agent because we have no experience!

I found out an interesting piece of news also from the gentleman with an on the spot offer as is . The Amish that live out near the new sand plant are very unhappy with the noise and trucks going by. Interesting since we live on a nice peaceful country road! I also smiled when he asked if my antique grandfather clock stayed with the house. Nope but the cherry red wood stove does I really enjoy all the Amish here. I am going to miss them!

Donna I actually do have new floor for dh to lay in the bathroom though the other flooring is from Christmas. A while back I asked him to lay laminate in there. Bad idea for bathrooms! I bought sheet vinyl.

Ok I need to get cleaning and painting!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you checked to see what commission would be if you sold with a realtor? Here it is 7% of sale price. Might make taking the offer that is 15,000 under worth it to avoid the hassle of dealing with a realtor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

6% is the going rate here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12