Frugal Village Forums banner

Storage

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bernice 
#1 ·
Does anyone know some good systems for storage like rotating or tuperware? Thanks! Cleaning out kitchen and need some good organization

#3 ·
if I didn't have 3 lifetimes worth of ancient tupperware of my mother's, I would go for the stacking and nesting glass sets. Pyrex or Anchor Hocking, I think. I believe you can microwave and freeze in them, plus no BPH. I'd get squares and rectangles to fit the cupboard

#4 ·
I used to have the Tupperware modular system and loved it. Items didn't seem to get pushed to the back and forgotten. Then I moved (multiple times) and the system fell apart when pieces I used for certain foods no longer fit in the cabinets. The system IS expensive but at the time, I sold Tupperware to defray the cost. The way Tupperware is marketed now makes that less profitable.

#6 ·
I use the cardboard boxed that seasoned rice and things stand in at the grocery to stack lids and things in. Have a larger one that I got somewhere that I have pan lids in. Keeps them neat and you can see what you have. The only problem with this is that you have to put them back where they belong. (lol) Things I use every day goes in one area and things I use a couple times a year goes in the pantry. In one kitchen I had plastic in one cabinet and in another was the glass. I can't do that here but if room that works good too..

#7 ·
For food items - I have a pantry cupboard with long deep shelving. For smaller items I use empty shoe boxes to store and I put the larger items behind the shoe boxes. Each shoe box (stored at the front) is for specific foods (one for baking items, another for snack items, etc). The two shoe boxes on the very top shelf have a small hole cut near the bottom left corner so I can just grab it without getting a stool. Again, larger items that I maybe only use a few times a year are stored behind.

#8 ·
The two shoe boxes on the very top shelf have a small hole cut near the bottom left corner so I can just grab it without getting a stool.
OMG, this is brilliant, my mom and I and DD are all really short. We bought this handicapped accessible house and somehow failed to notice none of the cabinets except the lowest shelf at the vey front are reachable for us. I have collapsible foot stools all over the house, in every closet, etc. I found them on a deep clearance and decided I was done trying to find the one step stool in a 3 story town house.

I don't know how they were allowed to call this house fully handicapped accessible and then hang the cabinets so high no disabled or God forbid, a person in a wheelchair, can get to them. And I can't believe I did not catch this before buying. Not a huge deal, but an inconvenience and a safety issue because I am unsteady, step stools are harder now, and I fall, 10 inches off the freaking floor and I still fall, lol! Are high cabinets the norm in new construction?

I threw away empty shoeboxes when we moved but I think this could work with plastic shoeboxes, my dad can use some tool and make an opening for our fingers. A million thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.