Preventing Mold Growth
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Preventing Mold Growth

Preventing Mold Growth

Molds are multicelled organisms that live on decaying organic matter or in humid hotspots. Most molds are usually not a major health threat; however, some can cause allergic reactions, respiratory problems, and, in some cases, severe poisoning.
    While mold growth is encouraged by warm, humid conditions, it can grow anywhere-including the refrigerator. To minimize the growth of mold on your food, follow these mold-prevention guidelines:

1. Clean your refrigerator frequently. It's a good idea to scrub the inside of the refrigerator every few months with a solution of one tablespoon baking soda dissolved in a quart of water. For visible mold (usually black, and common on rubber casings), clean with three teaspoons of bleach in a quart of water.

2. Launder your dish towels daily. Allowing towels to sit for long periods of time can encourage mold to proliferate.

3. Replace sponges and mop heads. Sponges can be cleaned in the dishwasher, but it's still a good idea to replace them once a month.

4. When discarding moldy food, check neighboring items for mold contamination. Mold can spread quite rapidly.

5. Keep the humidity of your kitchen or pantry below 40 percent. You can do this by purchasing a room dehumidifier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great tips. Mold can grow so fast and make you very sick!

My oldest son when in preschool got really really sick due to mold growth. I guess the school had a leak in the roof and it ran all down the wall and onto the rug. Well my son was taking naps on the rug everyday (clueless to the parents who were not informed) so the outcome was alot of sick kids. I took him out of that school immediately after realizing that the problem was coming from that school. The board of health was called and they have since closed that school.

Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree too. One thing I do is no sponges.

I use dishcloths, and launder them daily. I have about a dozen or more (I knit them) and they are easy to sanitize in the laundry (I wash in hot, rinse in cold routinely)

I use a dish brush and scrub my sink with comet daily, which bleaches the dish brush.

Prevents more than just mold troubles.

I've found that tea tree oil is effective in killing off mold and mildew, even better than bleach.

I had a long standing mildew smell from my bathroom sink drain. No amount of bleach or comet would kill it. It would be gone for a day and back again.

Till accidently I spilt a few drops of tea trea oil in the area. It was gone for months.

When it came back I swabbed the drain with a tea tree oil soaked Q tip and it was gone for months again.

About every 6 months or so I deal with that and also the window sills.

I used to have a recipe with TSP and bleach that our allergist gave me

but swabbing a Qtip with tea tree oil straight is a WHOLE lot easier.

Try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also don't use sponges. Hey I never thought to use tea tree oil. We also have a mold oder from our bathroom sink and bleach wont make it go away. Where do I get the tea tree oil from?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Living here in the woods, mold is a big promlem. Thanks for the tips Brenda!

Susie in MN