Do you have alot of clothes?
    CorneliaBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you have alot of clothes?

I have cleaned out my clothes three times this year and it seems like I still have a ton of clothes. I really want to get down to the basics with my wardrobe. I got them organized and have kept just my favorites and the ones that fit me NOW (ok, except for that one pair of jeans that I loved before I was pregnent..lol), but I still think that I have to many.

Do you have alot of clothes or just the basics. Is there amount that you go by, like so many jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc? What about for your family? Do you get so many new things each year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I have too many clothes too. I just purges a bunch of stuff out of my closet, but I guess I could get rid of more. I tend to have the basics in bottoms - jeans, plain skirts, dockers - and then I want more in the way of tops to rotate. I'll probably go through them again soon. I have been trying to purge as I fold and put things away. I need to do this with the girls too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy a new wardrobe every year and give my old clothes to my sister who is more disadvantaged. I recently bought a new wardrobe consisting of 2 black pairs of pants, one pair of jeans and 5 basic shirts in different colors. All very conservative and Liz Claiborne bought on sale. I have a few older good quality sweaters I bought at a thrift store that rounds out my wardrobe. This wardrobe doubles as both my at home wear and work wardrobe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now I have too many clothes due to my sisters-in-law generously lending me their maternity clothes. However, once I give all that back, I have just what I need.

I have a couple of pairs of jeans and a few t-shirts that I move in and out of rotation on the weekends and that I plan to live in when on maternity leave. I also have about 7 work outfits that are tops and bottoms and interchangeable so I can make a bunch of different outfits out of them.

That's pretty much it, however I still feel like I have no space for my clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have got to get into my closet and purge, but honestly DH has more clothes than me by 200%!! I have been slowly getting rid of his stuff, little by little.

I want to get in there and get rid of stuff, but even though I have gotten rid of alot, i see stuff in there and think "I on;y wore it once before I gained all this weight, once I lose weight..." I need to get over that lol.

Maybe I could challenge myself to get rid of a set number of clothes every week. Say four items each week for the duration of winter and spring...
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

O.K after reading all the posts so far, I decided that I really just have too many clothes. I know that I need to purge some clothes, but I have no idea how much of anything I have. When Stacey said she buys a new wardrobe each year, at first I thought that seemed so extravagant, but that's hardly anything at all. I tend to keep more than I give away. So, purging is one of my main goals right now. Too many clothes??? Yes, that is me. I have two closets full of clothes plus 3 dresser fulls, and a trunk full. That doesn't include the out of season clothes. So, yes, I have too many clothes.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I own an obscene amount of clothing, for myself and every other body currently living here and boxes of clothing for future little bodies that are stored in the basement. Our house is a 2 family that we are currently using as 1. What was the second kitchen I am using as a closet, I have 48 feet of horizontal hanging space just for dh and I and it is still not enough, I also purge and purge and purge, I swear things are multiplying in there-maybe it's angora who knows! My 2 little girls (3 1/2 and 5) who are moving out next month have been visiting theit biological mother every weekend, every time I send a suitcase full of clothes and ask her to send it back empty, I realize this is a problem, let's not even get into the shoes and accessories.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pants: one pair of jeans, three pairs of shorts, one pair of capri pants, one pair of khaki trousers, and one pair of very dressy black slacks.

Skirts: one jeans skirt, one knee-length black skirt, one formal long black skirt.

Tops: About 6 or 8 each of long-sleeved and short-sleeved knit tops (or sweaters).

Dresses: three (which is two more than I need)

I also have: a black blazer, two nice blouses, a pair of sweatpants, a pullover sweatshirt, a zip-up sweatshirt, two winter coats (that just cover my rear), and a formal wool coat.

For work I have four pair of scrub pants, three scrub tops, and two scrub jackets (worn with a t-shirt).

I also have some socks, 7 pair undies, 4 bras, one set of long underwear, two negligees, one pair of PJ pants, one PJ tank top, two nightgowns (summer & winter).

You also asked: "Is there amount that you go by, like so many jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc? What about for your family? Do you get so many new things each year?"

I go for one pair of jeans for me and two pair for each of the kids. They also have some leggings, as they are usually too messy to wear pants for more than one day. We need enough tops to get through the week in summer or winter (so about 6 or 8 each of long & short-sleeved). I like the kids to have at least two sets of PJ's. I usually go for one pair of regular everyday shoes, one pair of white dress shoes and one pair of black shoes.

We do get new (well, new to us - actually they are 2nd hand) things each year, the children, of course, because they grow. And EVERYTHING gets passed down to little sister. Some stuff gets worn out, so she does get some new things of her own. I also get myself a new top every three or four months or so, because with only a handful of things, I get bored quickly. I also have noticed that many of my long-sleeved tops are blue or gray and many of my short-sleeved tops are pink, so I am trying to get a wider variety of colors, so that I won't get bored. My jeans usually wear out at the knee within 9 to 12 months, so they get replaced. The 'dressy' clothes (dresses, khaki pants, and black pants/skirt/blazer) are permanent residents of my wardrobe. I'm set for a job interview, holiday party, funeral or wedding.

That's it. All my clothes fit in a tall dresser, plus less than 2 feet of closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh, do i have to many clothes,7 drawers, the closet, 2 totes, and a hope chest. i need to go thru and get rid of most of them, i am not counting the boxes in the sheds

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have way too many clothes, stuff I havnt worn in years but havnt thrown away * in case* I really need to get control of this and get rid of a huge amount!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say yes! I am giving away 4 bags today to the goodwill. I know there is more that I could toss in there. Some of the shirts I can't even wear anymore due to weight loss. I don't know why I don't just toss them too. I also have 2 pair of pants I can't wear anymore due to weight loss. DH bought them for me for Christmas last year and I only wore them maybe 4 times at the most. They are $50 a pair pants and I hate to toss them. I think I may see if my sister can wear them and give them to her.