Shower doors vs shower curtains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Shower doors vs shower curtains

As some of you might have read in my other thread - we are redoing our bathroom. We bought a tub and a shower kit.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Croscill-Fabric-Shower-Curtain-Liner/dp/B000BHICM0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279762361&sr=1-5"]Amazon.com: Croscill Fabric Shower Curtain Liner, Linen: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P5M66RF6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41P5M66RF6L[/ame]

Our shower walls will go up to the ceiling. We did this since we both prefer our shower head to be a bit higher than normal. (ours now is at about 5 foot and I dont' like it that low). So I was wondering - should I go with a shower curtain and rod, like I have now or should I get a shower door. I have never had a door and was wondering what the pro's and con's are of each. Any suggestions? What do you have and do you love it or hate it? How easy is each to keep clean?

thanks.
    Last edited by Gabe; 07-21-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh is a general contractor with a lot of experience doing residential remodel & repair. He INSISTS upon shower doors, as they block a LOT more water. In bathrooms with only a curtain, he has - time and time again - found tons of rot in the surrounding floor and walls. He also makes a big deal about always using a fan during baths or showers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just put a shower in our downstair bathroom. I always thought doors were harder to deal with- people complain about the tracks they are on (the sliding doors) and I thought it would be a hassle to keep the glass clean. However, I love it- it is much easier to give it a quick swipe with a dollar store squeegee (what a weird word!) after each shower than it is to take the curtain down and put it in the wash like I have to upstairs, and ours has no tracks as it open out instead of sliding. Plus it looks so much classier.

My only two complaints: 1)It was relatively expensive and 2)when you open it, a lot of water gets on the floor from dripping off the door. I have to make sure a nice absorbent floor mat is always there.

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate shower curtains and love doors! They are a breeze to keep clean with a squeegee. Clear glass doors will also help your room look more spacious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We only had shower curtains in our last house, but in our new house, the master bath for the shower has sliding glass doors (we have a separate bath tub from our shower) and so far, I love the doors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The squeegee is a great idea to keep the tub clean. I have to try that. Our doors are so dirty from soap build-up and I can't keep them clean. However, I think doors are better because it does keep the water out of the rest of the bathroom and looks nicer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, I really didn't expect it to be this one sided. I had always heard that doors were a pain to keep clean and not to get them. Now it seems everyone I ask says they like the doors. So I think that's what we are going to go with. Thanks everyone!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Guess what? I had my glass doors removed and went to a shower curtain. I hated the dreaded things. I inherited them when I bought my house and had them for many years. Hard to clean and they made the bathtub equally hard to clean. I love having the curtain lots of color and a softer look.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a door fan!! When we moved into our new to us home I had doors put up right off the bat. Also got a tip from a clearing lady friend of mine. She suggested taking the doors off every so often which really isn't that hard. Set them in the tub on a folded towel. And wax the tracks! I use Jubiel(SP)
    liquid wax. Put it on an old hunk of towel from the rag bucket and after cleaning tracks dry and wax. The wax seems to keep gunk from sticking! I use an old fingernail brush to clean out the corners and wax away. We also squeege the doors to keep down the soap scum build up. No more puddles on the floor or moldy curtains. Also the kids were constantly tearing the holes and the rings apart. No to mention the dog likes to lay in the tub during the hot summer and she had a problem getting tangled in the curtain. Its been a win/win/win situation for us.

I'd do doors again in a heart beat.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only thing I don't like about the doors is that it makes bathing little ones awkward.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a curtain girl, cleaning tub and walls a lot easier.......and I buy a $2.00 curtain liner which I replace a couple times a year.

JMHO,
    leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My bf too is a contractor and in fact has installed doors in his tub. However its not the kind that slides one in front of the other on tracks kind of door. Its one that opens up aka bi folding. It does open up wide but doesnt bend very much further so it makes it super hard to clean the tub b/c the doors dont fold out or stay put when open. Kinda like an accordian folding door thats split in middle so it folds to the left and right.

"Bi-fold doors are attached only at the sides and fold open to the left and right. Both the top and bottom are free of tracks, making the doors easy to maintain and clean." << best description I can find for now, cant seem to find link for you. (OK Managed to find a pic of the actual doors hes got but they are not closed - and pls pardon the mess!! )

I prefer curtains, cheaper and easier to clean/maintain and if/when you get bored of em you can change em easily and quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Libby; 05-15-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate shower doors because I'm tall and it's inconvenient to stoop and lift my legs at the same time. Also, unless you keep the grooves clean, they get sticky and don't slide as well.

I prefer curtains.

Registered User frugalandsimple's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like shower doors better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i HATE shower doors, always have and always will...keep removing them when i move in...hard with kids, to hard to keep clean...the tracks get scummy no matter what....i just plain hate them.....

wow, that turned into a vent..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast