Frustrated with Flylady system
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frustrated with Flylady system

Have been trying to use the flylady system for a few weeks now. There just seems to be a lot to do with the baby steps, control journal, daily routines and zones. I do try to get my daily chores done before I tackle decluttering but the list of daily stuff is long. So sometimes I don't have time to declutter.

I do get up and dressed, always have. Get my sink cleaned, put a load of laundry in, make the bed. But the weekly home blessing hour takes me a lot longer than an hour. I'm trying to break it down into a couple of days.

I had a lot of energy when I first started and was decluttering everyday. I'm trying to do one thing at a time and not get overwhelmed. And I try to remember her saying about not getting into this mess overnight.

Anyone using her system with success?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried it a few years ago and was overwhelmed by the routines. I do what works for me in keeping mine clean and company ready 90% of the time. Today for instance I gave both bathrooms a good clean, washed the rugs, etc..... then I made the bed, picked and put up all over the house and swept the floors. I did a quick dust of my bedroom b/c it was really dusty. I'm doing laundry and putting it away as it's done. I have a busy couple of days (or possibly more) this week and have had an eventful couple of days this past week. My house is in fairly good order (except for the sewing mess on my dining room table but it's staying there till I get done....need some time to finish) so my life will flow easier. I say just do what you've learned that you like with Flylady and work out your own routines to keep things running smoothly. (I picked and chose what was most important to me and what really made the most difference)

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Flylady herself says that you have to customize the routines to make them fit your energy level and your situation.

She talks about starting out with only a few things on your routine, and then adding on a job or two at a time. I think that's the idea of the babysteps-- if you are feeling overwhelmed, you will burn out quickly, and be right back where you started.

I've gone off and on the Flylady system for years. I love her 15-minute rule-- that one really works for me.

The idea of routines works for me, too, but the reality of my life/ energy levels/ attention span is that I don't stick with them more than a few weeks at a time. I'm currently going back to the Pam & Peggy index card system, which I used successfully before Flylady... starting this week, including my DD's chores in picture format. (Getting those cards done is on today's agenda, LOL!) I like the index cards better than the notebook for my daily "to do list"- but it's all whatever works best for each person.
    Last edited by AmyMCGS; 03-02-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

PrairieRose - You're right about the routines being overwhelming. I'm trying to find routines that work with my job schedule. I don't work the same days every week so this is the hard part.

Amy - I did Pam and Peggy's card system years ago and loved it. I guess when I got computerized I thought the card system was dead. It would be easier to move the days cards around in a file box than have several different weekday chore lists printed out based on my work days. Maybe I will try this again. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i think now that you have been doing this a few weeks it's now time to customize the whole thing to you.

once you get the habit and idea down of FlyLady, then it's tweeking it a little here and there.

that's what worked for me. After just setting the habit of doing certain things every day, I was able to have more time for me (meaning, another cup of tea), extra time to work on a special project or to finish another chore I want out of the way.

I believe if you sit down and maybe write out what you'd like to get done, compare that to the journal you're already keeping and then figure out a realistic routine, you'll find that there are more important things than squeezing in one last chore.

It doesnt hurt to push a couple chores to the next day. As long as they get done, that's what counts.

Don't burn yourself out too quickly. It's just chores!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i use her principles and i find that reading the sneak peek email they send out now at the beginning of the week really helps me. i have a simple routine that works for us as i am home with a 4 year old and baby i cant always complete a lot in one day. i confess i do not wear real shoes i have some croc type flip flops that i wear.

I think the key to her system is the 15 minutes and allowing yourself the luxury of not deep cleaning everything ever time you pick up a mop. Its ok to leave things incomplete until tomorrow. I identified things that i need to do everyday to feel like i am keeping up the house and i do those 3-4 things each day the rest is extra.
    just before bed i walk through the house and pick up it makes a huge difference. we also have our son pick up his own toys at night every night no messy bedroom and make his own bed.

the easiest part for me is the decluttering i get a thrill from it. but i keep a box for donation/freecycle and i just randomly put things in it and then when its full i take action.
    Reba

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Candy - Flylady.net It's a website for organizing based on books I read years ago by two sisters that got themselves organized using a card system. They referred to themselves as the slob sisters.

Flylady has daily routines, reminders and breaks your house down into zones you clean each week.

She also has a couple of books out but you can get everything from the website. I like that she has you take small steps but it can seem overwhelming at times.

She has you start by keeping a clean sink. The theory being if your sink is clean you will want to keep the area around your sink clean and so on. I do know if I wake up to a clean sink I feel a little more prepared for my day. Nothing is so depressing to me as walking into the kitchen and having yesterday's dirty dishes sitting there waiting for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried it and didn't like it either, I made my own system by dividing the days into areas to work in. It works for me.
    Your going to maybe have to find your own way, what works for you.

I took monday- saturday and made a list of what to do on what day. It took a few weeks to adjust it and some days had to be changed but I've got it right now.
    I also made a hardcopy and keep it taped to my fridge as to what to do on what day...
    as I tend to forget... now all I have to do is look at my list and see what has to be done today. It saves time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I`ve heard of the fly lady but never joined

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried her system a couple times but it never worked with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried Flylady a couple of times but for me, it was just too much, especially the email parts. I did like a lot of the suggests like the clean, shiny sink and the decluttering parts. I had a friend who really struggles with throwing the smallest thing away and she loves Flylady. But I thought it was conterproductive to decluttering when she bought everything they had to offer on thier website. I added it all up and it came to over $400. Most of it sat in the box on her dining room table. Why would a site devoted to decluttering sell so much expensive and useless stuff?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't bought any of her products. Just putting a control journal together myself like she suggests. I suppose many people feel they will have more success with her system if they use her products, but even she says you don't need to spend any money to make the program work.

I'm doing great with the morning routines, more tired in the afternoons so don't quite get to everything I would like to.

Stuck a post it note on the bathroom mirror to remind me to go to bed at a decent hour. I tend to get sidetracked on the computer or wanting to finish a little more cross stitch when I should be thinking about going to bed. I think more sleep would help.

I don't have time to check the e-mails she sends all day so have been checking the daily reminders link on her site.

I have a ways to go but the house does look better and more clutter free than a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big Flylady fan here, but I also know that it's not for everyone. I have purchased a few of her things (the Calendar and the duster) which I love, but I really don't need or want most of the other stuff that she sells - which is fine with me. I liked it better years ago when all the testimonials were about following her systems and routines - now it seems like every testimonial is about one of her products. The ones I have are great, but I like people's success stories better for keeping me going.

I only check my email at lunch and at night, so I just skim through them and hit delete, but I do find myself "Flywashed" by doing so. I will spend 15 minutes cleaning the kitchen before I go to bed so it doesn't look awful in the morning, or I'll pick out my outfit for the next day. I'm never 100% successful in following everything, but I am a lot better than before I started.

And I did get DH on board with the decluttering. We threw out over a ton of stuff when we moved back from CO (literally - we weighed it - it was about 2200lbs) and we've continued to get rid of things. It has allowed us to stay in a smaller place, and DH doesn't hog nearly as much of the "office" as he used to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wink

I joined her the first time when her membership was at 39,000?. It is WAY over that now.

I am really bad about letting the emails stack up and then deleting them unread I love the system, hate the sales stuff , and am currently not following it. But I will be back.

However, I agree about the cards .. that was how I started and where I was the most successful.
    Living Single and Loving it!
    EmilyD

Savings goals:
    2014 Change Jar Challenge (New, smaller clothes) $0/$500.00 (turned in 6/2/14 $118.00 for another purpose)
    52 Week Money Challenge (Christmas 2014): $0.00/$1378.00 in a year (need to save 275.00 to make it by Nov. )
    Emergency Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin (167.00 pm to make it by Dec)
    House Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Car Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Medical Expenses $0.00/$1000.00
    Dental Expenses $0.00/$1000.00

My Challenges:
    2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 1 @ wk 16/52
    2014 Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
    2014 Household Purge/Declutter Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge
    2014 Reading Challenge 11/52
    2014 Change Jar Challenge

52 Week Saving Challenge W1-$1, W2-$2, W3-$3, $W4-$4, W5-$5, W6-$6, W7-$7, W8-$8,W9- $9, W10- $10 W11-$11, W12-$12, W13-$13, W14-$14, W15-$15, W16-$16 W17-$17, W18-$18, W19-$19, W20-$20 , W21-$21, W22-$22,W23-$23, W24-$24, W25-$25, W26-$26, W27-$27, W28-$28, W29-$29, W30-$30, W31-$31, W32-$32, W33-$33, W34-$34, W35-$35, W36-$36, W37-$37, W38-$38, W39-$39, W40-$40, W41-$41, W42-$42, W43-$43, W44-$44, W45-$45, W46-$46, W47-$47, W48-$48, W49-$49, W50-$50, W51-$51, W52-$52

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read a note on the flylady website a couple of weeks ago that said all her information is copy written and users are not supposed to post any information from her site on other forums. I had no idea when I started these posts about her system. So I guess I can't post my progress or any of her ideas that work for me anymore.

Anyway, I will continue working with her system and am finding my house more organized and clean. Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and support.

Her website is flylady.net for those wanting to learn more or try her system.

Again, very sorry to post information I shouldn't have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast