Fall Fling Personal Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Fall Fling Personal Challenge

I don't know if there is an official Fall Fling Challenge this year, but I plan to do a personal one and everyone is invited to join in the fun!

Over the next 12 weeks (which will put us right before Thanksgiving and the craziness of the holidays) I pledge to fling 50 items per week. This will rid my house of 600 unused or unwanted items.

I will start each week on Sunday and post my progress each Saturday.

Anyone care to join in? Just post how many items you plan to purge each week and we'll keep each other going!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, I'm in Jessica!

We're thinking about moving and I'd like to move as little "stuff" as possible!

So, I'll pledge to get rid of 10 things per week. I'll start small, but hopefully will exceed that amount.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

~In the past two years I've posted the Fall Fling thread on the second week of September and the last week of August. This year I'd planned to start the thread on Labor Day.
    If there's interest in starting early again this year I can start the thread ASAP. Thoughts?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooohhh Me too! I'm looking into buying a house soon! I too want to move as little as possible when the time comes!! I'm thinking 10 items a week as well...if I do more than great if not, then I at least got rid of some stuff! Most will be small stuff as well, but some is better than none!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Constance,
    I didn't mean to step on your toes. I hope you know that wasn't my intent!
    I just know that for me to be truly successful with my frugalness I also have to be organized. Unfortunately I've let both things get a little out of hand this summer and its time for me to buckle down.
    I'll jump into your Fall Fling once you get it started and just post there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to jump in on this....my youngest dd is moving out next week....that should allow for lots of stuff to clean out!!! I'm going to try for at least 25 things per week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    Constance,
    I didn't mean to step on your toes. I hope you know that wasn't my intent!
    I just know that for me to be truly successful with my frugalness I also have to be organized. Unfortunately I've let both things get a little out of hand this summer and its time for me to buckle down.
    I'll jump into your Fall Fling once you get it started and just post there.
    ~Oh no, I didn't feel that way! Didn't mean to come across that way.
    Dd had a little accident yesterday with my rotary cutter so I was on edge. When I'm that way in RL my posts on FV tend to be 'just the facts ma'am".
    I think it's great that you're organizing and have a plan. I'm looking forward to nesting as usual after I get our homeschool started. Until then I'll cheer you on!
    Fling! Fling! Fling!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a couple of questions here:
    Will you be flinging things to those in need? Or just throwing stuff away?
    Because someone else may really need that stuff.
    And what if you need that stuff later on?
    You all must feel pretty secure to be throwing things out. Right now, I wouldn't dare part with a thing, because my circumstances have changed suddenly and radically and I'm in dire straits.
    We never know what may happen tomorrow.

PS: Sorry to be a dissenter on this thread.
    Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito ~
    I understand your concerns and you ask very valid questions. In my book, flinging is getting things out of the house. Whether it be to Goodwill or to the garbage or sold on craigslist. Things that are still in useable condition will be donated (or sold). But I also have a big box of paperwork that needs to be gone through. A lot of that can be thrown out. I'll sort through the kids' toys and toss the broken stuff and donate the things they don't play with any longer. I'll sort through my grocerty stock pile and donate a few grocery bags full of things we may not get to before they expire. We'll go through the kids' videos and donate some of the ones they no longer watch...
    One of the things I love about being extra frugal and stockpiling, etc...is that it allows me the freedom to share my blessings with those in need.

In this economic situation, a lot of people have a natural tendancy to hoard. And while that may work for some people, it doesn't work for me. I'm a natural hoarder anyway and about every six months or so, I have to go through and get rid of the things I no longer use or love. Otherwise I'll be buried alive

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Oh no, I didn't feel that way! Didn't mean to come across that way.
    Dd had a little accident yesterday with my rotary cutter so I was on edge. When I'm that way in RL my posts on FV tend to be 'just the facts ma'am".
    I think it's great that you're organizing and have a plan. I'm looking forward to nesting as usual after I get our homeschool started. Until then I'll cheer you on!
    Fling! Fling! Fling!~

I know you didn't feel that way, I just wanted to make sure you knew I didn't mean it that way (does that make any sense at all?????)

Anyhoo, organizing is a great thing no matter what, when, where or how!! We'll cheer each other on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Well, Incognito, most of what I fling tends to be paper. Other than that I usually recycle items into something useful, sell them online or donate them to thrift shops. I would say that less than 10% of my non-paper items go into the trash. Usually those items are broken toys.
    Generally these flings are about clutter. Things that aren't needed, used or loved.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i would like to do this challenge also!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, I am in! Yesterday I started a box with items to donate. I will have to count and post info!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished cleaning out dd's closet and dresser and filled 3 bags with clothes and shoes that we dropped off for my neice. I'll count that as 1.

I cleaned out the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and in the kitchen and filled a bag with expired medication, which I tossed. Counting that as another 1.

I pulled out 19 dvd's to sell at secondspin.com and that's what I did. I'll wrap them up tonight and mail them out tomorrow. Counts as 1 more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have alot of clutter, but definitely need to organize more and fling a few things. I am so in! I already had the kids go through their closets, our local food pantry is having a garage sale next weekend, so perfect opportunity to donate things!

Man, I love fall...can't wait till it gets here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast