Home Decorators Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    mamamia, I'm not sure mine will be much of anything really. Our dining room table is tucked up againist a wall in our living room. It's too country (husband chose and I conceeded) and well worn for my liking. It's a bit squashed in and seems out of place in our tiny rancher.

I'd love to find a smallish round table on a pedestal for the space, maybe throw up a candleabra over it (no electric, would have to be candles), and give the walls a splash of color, but for now it will have to do.

At this moment I have two of the most fabulous hunting dog pictures over the table. Love the English library look and just could not let them sit at the mission thrift. They do not fit in the country style of the table or hutch. I so hate to take them down, but I think I might. I'd love to go for French country with roosters which was the way I was leaning, but then I snapped back to reality and decided that to purchase anything would be unwise. What I have is a hen nesting in a basket, an antique tray with a chicken farmyard scene, and a gingham tablecloth. The gingham tablecloth is not unlike (some styles of) French country however, if I use chickens instead of roosters along with my very country table I'm afraid the theme will be country by default. But this is a use what you have challenge for me so I guess it will be barnyard country.
    Polly, would your husband let you paint the set? I know my own dh would probably kill me for just thinking about it. But, but, but!!! If you've had it for awhile now, maybe he'd give in....maybe? Because I bet there's alot of possibilities working with a country style set to turn into a French-country look. No? I love French country, but I like it in black and white as opposed to the usual blue/white. And I'm wanting to re-do my kitchen in Italian country because it's open to my family room, and I have a rooster collection too that I want to use in there.

To me the gingham tablecloth can definetely go french. What color is it? If you're good at sewing, can you make some seat cushions? I can't sew, so I rely on Stitch-Witchery, that iron on bonding stuff that works wonders.

Have you ever seen those 8x10 prints that they have in Walmart's for $1? They're in every walmart I've ever been in, and I have quite a few. Anyways, they have bigger sizes too, with the largest being $5. But the prints are surprisingly really very nice. Maybe you can find some cute prints for when you take down the Hunting Dogs pic. That would kill me too because I'm so with you on that library look . But there just might be something "frenchy" to replace them, and that'll make you feel happier about it, kwim? And I'm sure you got some frames around that you can get creative with. And I love the candleabra idea. Hope you find one. It'll be perfect!!

Well Polly, I'd really love to see your pics. We're usually pretty hard on ourselves, and I bet your table and hutch is alot nicer than you think! After all, barnyard country is very nice too. That's what was pretty much in my kitchen and family room for years. I enjoyed finding things for it. And if you want to Polly, after you post your pics, you can ask for suggestions, but that's entirely up to you. It's something I want to incorporate into the challenge anyway. Kinda like a Rate MY Space thing. Personally, I need help with my server (that one in the pic that accidentally got posted). I just can't seem to "hit the nail on the head" with what I have to use. So I'll be doing that soon.

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like quizzes? Here's one that fits right into our challenge >>>

HGTV Quiz: What Color is your Personality?

Have fun and if you can, post your results too.

Theresa

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The woodworker in my husband would GASP at the mere suggestion. LOL!

I tend to lean towards the gold, green and red tones of country French. I like the more robust colors in French styles, with the exception of my dressing room. For that I have a collection of fabric in pink and green tones. I have yet to begin the decorating process in that room but I plan on adding a few modern touches to the room. More subtle, nothing overt.

I promised my husband I would not spend money right now on decorating so I've got to stick with my promise. That only holds for new purchases, I can scour yard sales/goodwill without worry. I also can use my Christmas money (since it's mine alone) for new purchases, hence my IKEA purchase.

I think I'm going to have to learn to love what I have to work with right now. But, I've got my eye out for that table as I hit yard sales this Summer. My hutch is harder to work with, I would never part with it, it was my Mothers. We tend to keep things in my family and pass them down for Generations. I have my Grandmother's rocking chair that every Grandchild was rocked in ending with my DS1. It's definately country, I kept it in our attic for years until I needed another seat in the living room. I also have my Mom's grandfather clock that's perfection and I feel no need to find a space in the attic for it. I have my parent's hand hewn benches that were at our kitchen table in my basement. I love them but have absolutely no where to go with them. I'd do a long table with those benches if I had the room.

I have lots of those country touches tucked away not really wanting to part with them, and yet not liking the look for my home. My husband is a huge fan of country style and since we both like antiques we've ended up with more then I ever wanted around my home. I'm just not into the cluttered country look, too much to clean and just does not lend itself to a peaceful flow in my mind. Too much to look at I guess. There's nothing wrong with my table and hutch, it's just they scream country very loudly and I'm not feeling it. I will however learn to love and appreciate what I have to work with. Feeling a bit like my kids when they find they have to settle for something other then what they'd like. Shame on me, I am a grown up after all. You're right barnyard country can be quite nice.

I'm not sure what you mean about rate my space, but I'm certainly game. I guessing it's a cable show?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Thanks for all the nice comments! My kitchen is a 30's to 50's theme with some country thrown in. The country is my way of making it seem less "retro" and more like a kitchen that has been in use since the 50's. I love "grandma" kitchens! I'd show you more of it but the counters and cabinets need a good wipe down and I'm currently curtainless. My sister made one of my rugs, I made one and I bought two at a yard sale.
    I love the pics you posted Mamamia! Brick, dark colors and that fabulous hanging pendant lamp! Wow, what a gorgeous statement. I LOVE the Italian look! A set table looks so welcoming and can't be a breeding ground for clutter, good idea!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nuisance26, I love the retro kitchen theme! Your table and chairs are fabulous! I've never seen anything like them before. I also love the simplicity of your center piece and your subtle country touches, the rugs are darling. They make a statement without overpowering the beauty of your furniture. I could see myself in a kitchen like yours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi again ladies! I was browsing the web for new window treatment ideas, and I came across two of the most frugal ways to create a custom look. I'm definetely giving the 1st one a try because I already have the cheapo mini blinds, and they're in a spare room that I'm using for storage right now. So if it's not perfect, no biggie. But I am hoping for the best because I have some great fabic for my 16YO's room, and we're getting ready to do my 17YO's room as well. I personally love custom windows, but the price sends me running in a different direction

Anyways, I thought this would be a good place to post this. I know Spring is usually the time alot of us change our curtains, and inspiration is always nice

Little Green Notebook: Make Shades Out of Mini Blinds

two straight lines: Tutorial: Simple Blinds

Enjoy!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a reminder, the Table Top Challenge is still open. Would love to see more pics ladies. Love what we've seen so far Also anyone can jump in and join anytime. The "more the merrier" holds very true here.

Also, our next challenge will be "Trash to Treasure", using fabric scraps. I will post several ideas that I found, but you will be more than welcome to use your own ideas too.

Here's a peview of one of the ideas you might choose to do >>

Switchplates | Pink Chalk Studio
    (i've done these before w/o sewing. i simply folded and glued. same results, less trouble)

So, my questions to all the Challengers is watcha think? Good or bad? Don't worry, be honest, I can take it....lol!
    Would you join in on this one? Is there some other "Trash to Treasure" idea you'd like to try?

The idea of this is for everybody to have fun, while we add a little "OOHMPH" to our homes. So your thoughts and ideas are supposed to be part of this too. There's alot of creativity out there in the FV, let's try to put it to good use on this challenge You can post anytime you get an idea rolling, ok?

So if you have a minute, please fill me in on your opinion of the Trash to Teasure idea. Your opinion means alot to keep this exciting for us!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa,

Still working on my dining room challenge. Today I purchased some quilted placemats to add to the table. Just 99 cents a piece! I tried to make it out to Sears Hardware tonight to pick up a special sticky tape hanger to place on the back of my barnyard tray for hanging over the table, but just didn't get the time. Hopefully I'll get out there tommorrow night.

Hopefully I'll have pictures to share soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love that blinds idea. I am so doing that in my living room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love the fabric trash to treasure challenge. I'm thinking that I'd like to use the duck fabric I have and cover a lampshade for DS2's cabin themed room (work in progress) Going to have to check out Goodwill for a lamp!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

militlady, I was thinking about you. Have you started sanding yet?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa,

I tried the quiz and it won't show my results

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post
    sounds good to me ~ I'd like a "clean the kitchen table & keep it clean" challenge ~ ROFL!
    I could benefit from this too! Actually I don't have a problem with the cleaning the table part....it's the keeping it clean that seems to elude me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa,

Still working on my dining room challenge. Today I purchased some quilted placemats to add to the table. Just 99 cents a piece! I tried to make it out to Sears Hardware tonight to pick up a special sticky tape hanger to place on the back of my barnyard tray for hanging over the table, but just didn't get the time. Hopefully I'll get out there tommorrow night.

Don't ya just love it when you find a great bargain like that?! I bet they'll make a total re-make for you! Ya know, thinking of quilted placemats reminds me of one of the most clever (and frugal) ideas I have ever seen. Depending on the length of your table, you take 4-5 fabric placemats, and sew the the edges together to make a table runner. Easy enough for anyone, and the price is almost always right!

So Polly, I'm really looking forward to your pics. Hanging a tray on the wall always looks good to me. I need to think about stealing that idea. I have a set of 3 trays that I'd love to hang together. But I need to get that Command wall hanger product that's out. I love the idea of no holes in the wall , and it's supposed to hold up to 15lbs. Plus the $2 coupon don't hurt it either.

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa,

Theresa,

I tried the quiz and it won't show my results
    Well that really stinks! Thanks for posting so anyone else who wants to do it knows. I'll have to see what I can do.

I wish I knew how to multi-quote

Theresa

17. Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast