2012 Home Project Organizational Challenge - Page 21
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks, DC!!!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, DC. Mine hit about once every three minutes, so I try to time everything in between!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Gosh ladies, please be careful! Do you know the rice-sock trick? Fill a kneehigh sock with rice, tie end closed (or tie it off with a non metallic hair tie). You can put this in microwave for a minute and a half for aches and pains - or even in the freezer to bring down inflamation. Jusst thought you should know, ((hugs))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone.

Laying flat on my back seems to work best for me. Pain meds don't touch the pain, so I don't bother. Not lifting hundred ton freezers is the best treatment though! But I gots to do what I gots to do. My husband couldn't handle it alone and there's no one else. We still have to get the old one out but it looks like we can slide it all the way to the truck, then put one end on the tailgate and lift it so it'll be like having three people. So that should be fairly easy, I hope.

We started moving stuff into the freezer last night and man, does that sucker hold the stuff! It's going to be great. I'm processing about thirty pounds of bananas today so I'm glad to have all that space for the stuff I'm baking and packaging. I was sad our old freezer died but I think I'll be over it quickly because I already love the new one! I just hope it lasts as long as the old one. Yeah, that'll happen!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got out the book for the old freezer and we think its size is about 13 cubic feet. The new upright is over twenty cf. No wonder we keep adding tons of stuff to it and it doesn't seem to fill up at all! So the new one, along with the seven cf chest freezer we bought last fall, have about doubled our freezer space from a year ago. I know we'll make good use of all that space. I'm glad we didn't settle for a smaller one.

I'm glad the closest Sears had this one, too. We're really starting to hate that long drive to Duluth.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope your back is better soon SD. I've been somewhat missing in action here with a migraine.

DH and I went out to pick up a microwave stand ($15 secondhand), a microwave ($48), and a mini fridge ($160) for the basement in preparation for the boarder. Right now everything is sitting in our living room/dining room.

DH has primed the wall where the new shower will go. And he's put tiles on the floor.

I've been cleaning up my sewing room today. It's a tough slog. It's a mess! My friend is cleaning out her house and bringing stuff over here for me. I'll have to see if I really want it. need to go through with a discerning eye without a headache.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow you ladies are sure a bunch of go getters! I need your energy to keep motivated over here. I've slagged off a lot in terms of getting my bedroom area done however the laundry room did get a mini make over...still saving up to do the entire laundry room at once. We did free up some lv rm space though and purged a few larger items. I really tried to donate them but no one wants a 32" tube style tv anymore btw its 114lbs

fHg - your lv rm looks great!

DC - great job on cleaning out your house to furnish your sons - thats totally a bonus!

SD - nice job on the freezer!

peanut - WTG on scoring great bargains for the border!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks Libby. Alas, we hit a snag with the shower installation. Despite DH's best efforts the walls are not plumb and in order to fit the base over the drainage pipe he needs to shave off about an inch at the top of the shower stall. He is worried it will make everything all cockeyed and the doors won't close properly. I don't think that will be an issue, but what do I know?

So he's stopping off at Home Depot after work tonight to chat someone up. The contractor has not returned his phone call...yet. But then, he was going on vacation soon too. Plus his wife is pg. Plus they just moved. I don't imagine we're high on his priority list!

I've plowed through the sewing room to my machines. I've been busy using them today to finish off rugs. Still need to do a proper clean up in there. I made a stack of the half finished projects to work on. Hopefully in March I'll get in there and actually do some sewing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MyMelody View Post
    Squidge, could the lamps be spray painted?
    Sorry for such a delayed response. Haven't been checking in on this thread. The lampshades are material (see example picture below) and they got all bent out of shape during the decorating. We may actually just keep them (the colour works okay) if I can bend them back into their former glory. They are very inexpensive at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so thrilled that I have finished my February job of sorting all my clothes. Today I emptied my dresser and went through all those clothes. Found 2 more bags worth for Goodwill and my clothes all fit back into the drawers again!! Celebrated by scrubbing down the master bathroom.

I'm going to start thinking about what might be the best job for March.
    Amy

Wife to one hardworking man
    Homeschooling mom
    Three girls 14,11 & 9
    one boy 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess this is organizational. I finished moving all the stuff into the right freezers and put in the stuff that should have been in the freezers that wasn't, like cereal. So that's all done. The little freezer is pretty much full now, and the new upright is pretty full too but not stuffed, which is great. There's room for some OAMC stuff left, which will be helpful.

We seem to have a lot of steak right now. I don't know how that happened, but it's a nice problem to have.

I'm not going to town tomorrow. I gave my husband a grocery list and it has about seven things on it. We need to use up some things around here, plus now that I'm doing more scratch cooking, we need to buy a lot less. If I stay home it'll save us from going to GW, too. I won't miss what I don't know they have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Feb. is almost over, and I was still stewing about my Feb. challenge of re-doing the living room. We arranged everything the way we wanted it, but the problem area was the artwork over the couch. Yeah, I know..... in the scheme of world events, that's a puny problem. But it's been occupying my thinking.

So.... we think we have a solution. It's still in our minds, but it seems to be a good possibility. We really want to keep the picture there that we now have. It is an original by an artist friend, a watercolor of the home we built. So we got to thinking about other homes we have lived in. We decided to scan old photos of those homes, and then use my PhotoShop program to turn them into watercolor-type of prints. They will be small, and matted and framed in a similar style to our current pic. We plan to put them on the left and right sides of the current pic (which we will lower to be even with the thermostats. Hubby is going to build a frame for the thermostats that will match the other frames. Then we'll stretch a porous fabric in that frame, which will hide the thermostats, but not interfere with the function.

Anyway, this is clear in our heads, but still needs to be done.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

fHg, that is a great idea about having a series of your homes, and keeping your friend's painting as part of it! I have a sculpture that was done for me as a birthday present, of my African Grey parrot, and it always has pride of place when I move, because it means so much to me!

I am done with my bedroom, except for the curtain, and I'm going to TRY to hang that this weekend. My March project is my livingroom.

In the meantime, however, a "small" project of getting my deck repaired and repainted has turned into a bigger project of getting my deck and my house repainted. If the weather holds up, I am hoping to get it all done in March. (Not me, personally, although the frugal voice inside of me wants to do it. I have a small but very TALL house [three stories], and I am not a big fan of heights, nor am I a big fan of having to spend a lot of time moving ladders around so I can paint a few feet of wall.)

A small dilemma I have is the colour of the house. First, I HATE the colour now. It is a "sandstone," so very pastel and neutral, with dark red trim. I really want to go 180 degrees and have it painted dark blue, with either red or white trim, but I am concerned that dark blue will make it too hot in the summer, because it will hold the heat. Anyone have any experience with dark vs. light exterior homes?

I am just so tired of boring and neutral. Every home I've ever painted, I've always gone pastel and light: blue, yellow, brown. But it is a big and expensive step and I don't want to regret it afterward, so I always play it safe.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in a neighborhood with some lively coloured character homes. They look great! We however live in a stucco home...neutral colour. I wanted to paint it at one point, but the neighbor's did that with theirs and the paint is peeling and looking ugly. Just seems not very frugal to make something non-maintenance into a maintenance item.

I think you can go for a dark exterior just fine. But then, I live in a northern climate where it's cold 9 months of the year and we have to use our furnaces. So maybe I'm not the best judge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, peanut. I think I'm going to do some research re: exterior colour vs. temps. It gets up into the low 100's here in the summer. I have a bunch of shade trees, but a three-story house is hard to cover!

Here is the house and the paint examples. I am really leaning toward the dark blue, but I like the lighter blue, as well. Just don't see the ENTIRE house that colour. It will have a white trim, btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast