Does anyone do container gardening only?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Does anyone do container gardening only?

In years past we've had a raised bed garden. For the past few years we've not been able to harvest much for whatever reason.

This year I'd like to just have a few containers with veggies (plus the raised bed which just has strawberries). I'm thinking a couple of containers of tomatoes, maybe a pepper plant, and a small herb window box garden.

Has anyone switched from a larger garden to container gardening? If so, what was your experience?

TIA
    *~*Michelle*~*

"You can't have your best health without exercise. It's just not possible" ~ Leslie Sansone, WATP

Follow us on Twitter!

Become a Fan of Frugal Village on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did all containers last summer because of a ground squirrel problem. The only veggie that did VERY poorly was corn. I use huge containers, though (Earthboxes). If you do a lot, I would suggest setting up a drip system, so you aren't having to hand-water constantly. Containers dry out QUICKLY, even with reservoirs.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went the opposite direction. I went from containers to raised beds LOL I grew green beans, carrots, tomatoes and herbs. I think theres a pic in the Gardening social group. If not, I can put it in there lol. I did the beans in big window boxes. about four plants to a box. I fed them every other week. I also waited like 2 weeks in between plantings so I would have a continuous supply. It wasn't a huge supply but it was great for adding to salads and stir fries. Just enough. Carrots did great! The bigger the pot the deeper they'll go. I thinned them out to like and inch apart and I fed them every other week. Same for the tomatoes. You'd be surprised what you can grow in a container. If it's big enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think you will do well growing tomatoes, peppers and herbs in containers. I agree with MH that containers will dry out quickly. Dw grew annual flowers in a planting box I made her at the side of the house. It had Southern exposure so it got a lot of sun. I could not keep it watered enough for the plants to do well. Last year, I found some Miracle-Grow planting soil that was supposed to hold in moisture. I tried it and it worked great. I was able to keep the plants growing until frost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really loved my earth box last year. I grew tomatoes. They turned out beautifully. My earth box was on sale for half off, and looking back I should have gotten two.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All we've planted the last few years are tomatoes and peppers in giant pots out back. I'm actually hoping to get some plants into the ground this year, but, the pots have worked well.

And I second the vote for Miracle Grow potting soil-- I used it in a small new flower bed last year, and my plants were HUGE.
    ~~ Amy ~~ Wife to DH ~
    Mom to: DD, age 8 and DS, age 4

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried container gardening for the last two seasons and I have not had much luck. I am not giving up though and will be trying again this season. I had come to the conclusion that I didn't water and fertilize enough, and after eading the previous posts I will have to try the Miracle Grow soil. The plants did great until the temp got into the 110+ range here in Vegas. The temp went up about the same time my plants started blossoming so I only harvested about 20 cherry tomatoes. I firgure that it doesn't hurt to try different things and my dd would love to have watermelon so that is on the agenda. I think I am going to try it in a kiddie pool. We'll see!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have used Miracle Grow soil in the past, with good results. But if you can get it, try Gardener & Bloome organic compost!! The nursery I get it from says that all the marijuana growers swear by it, because their plants grow so big and healthy! I didn't try any marijuana last year, but my veggies definitely did better in the G & B soil than in Miracle Grow. It is a bit more costly, but contains just about everything a plant could ever in its wildest dreams hope for, in terms of nutrients. If you buy the big bags, the cost difference is negligible, and my nursery always has a buy 3, get one free sale on the stuff.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used Miracle Grow potting soil in a big container for my heirloom tomato. It did great for a few weeks then for some odd reason (perhaps weather related) they didn't grow or ripen. I'm determined to try again this year, though. Remember to wash out old containers with bleach to kill any bacteria and use fresh soil. This year I will attempt a "salad in a pot" complete with herbs.

Good luck and thanks for the tips!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've seen the salad in a pot thing and also an Italian meal in a pot. It has a tomato in the middle and then basil, parsley and oregano around the perimeter. Looks pretty.