Do you know how to make apple juice concentrate?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you know how to make apple juice concentrate?

My family is not big on homemade apple sauce. I do freeze apples for pies and baking but not much as we try to do less sugar stuff. My giys do love apple juice though!

I can't can (so far) but was wondering if there is a way to make frozen apple juice concentrate like we buy at the grocery.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Homemade Quick Apple Juice

I make my own apple juice all the time. Here's my recipe:
    Wash and peel apples; slice into a pot; no cores or seeds.
    Add water to just cover the apples; add some white sugar to taste; it will be sweeter when it cools; cook till apples are soft.
    Remove from heat; pour mixture through strainer into another pot or container. Put the apple pulp back into the first pot, and make applesauce with it by cooking and thickening with brown sugar/flour mixture. (could be cooled & pureed first, for finer texture)
    Strain the apple juice once more, through a cloth. Cool juice in a large glass container, if possible, for best flavour (I use my large Pyrex cup); then pour into plastic tubs and freeze. When using, add water to dilute to taste.
    Last edited by Incognito; 07-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito is that straight juice or do I add water?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

At the start, add water to cover the sliced apples in the pot.
    At the end, after the juice is strained and cooled, taste the juice; add more water to dilute it according to your preference.
    (same with the sugar; you'll figure out how sweet & strong you like it after you try the recipe once)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito I mean after I freeze it and go to use it do I add water? I could have the kids taste. I detest all juice but lemon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, you will need to add water to the frozen juice, once it's thawed, (because the initial juice is in a concentrated form to save freezer space). But someone will still have to taste the juice to determine how much water to add.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i would just juice apples and freeze the juice in poly bags. thaw for use and add water. Sugar to taste if ya want it sweeter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to both of you! That is exactly what I needed to know!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Apple Juice Processing

27 October 2011 Apple Juice Processing 27 October 2011 Apple Juice Processing

Twenty five pound of apples were processed into juice. These pictures depict the first batch of three. Method: Apples washed, cut into quarters, boiled for 15 minutes, beat into a mash with hand blender, strained, placed in litre jars, and pressure canned at 12 PSI for 15 minutes. The pressure canning is for long term storage at room temperature. It takes about 1 to 2 lbs of apples to make one litre of juice.

Water was added so a drinkable consistency was obtained. The complete apple was used. Compare this to the yellow stuff sold commercially.
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG Durgan, that looks so good. Stick blenders are wonderful aren't they? It's one of the things I'm really looking forward to replacing someday soon.
    Could you share a picture of where you store all your goodies? Seeing them all waiting there for you to enjoy all winter long must give you a good feeling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    WTG Durgan, that looks so good. Stick blenders are wonderful aren't they? It's one of the things I'm really looking forward to replacing someday soon.
    Could you share a picture of where you store all your goodies? Seeing them all waiting there for you to enjoy all winter long must give you a good feeling.
    Those hand blenders cost about $20,00 in Canadian Tire. There is no need for a more expensive one, since it appears they all have identical mechanisms.

I will post a picture of my little cold room. There is all the litre jars of produce, and potatoes, garlic and onions.
    Durgan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've never thought about processing apple juice in my pressure cooker. It has no PSI readout anywhere though. I suppose that means I can't use it for canning. It's a small T-Fal Sensor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I've never thought about processing apple juice in my pressure cooker. It has no PSI readout anywhere though. I suppose that means I can't use it for canning. It's a small T-Fal Sensor.
    Presto 23Qt Canning Kit - Pressure Cooker Outlet

This unit is simple and it lasts forever, as long as you oil the gasket surface before each use, and never use the pot as a boiler with the lid loose, since it heats the gasket and destroys it. This is the Presto, which I got last year. It is simply a pressure cooker that is large enough to take 7 litre or quart jars at one time, and has a gauge, since sometime you do not want to operate at the rocker pressure, which is 15 PSI.

I also have a smaller unit for typical pressure cooking, which I have had for many years.
    Durgan