Bert the bad chicken - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just posted some more pics to the album . It is a bit dark here now because we have a thunderstorm going to happen any time now. Thunder rumbling etc.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday, Bert was being bad. Would not come to me so I could put him in his yard in the afternoon. And Little Red was out also. We got a really bad rainstorm and those 2 got wet. When hubby came home, he put them in the pen. This morning, Bert is behaving. Haven't seen him out yet. And Little Red is in the nest box practicing. Nothing yet, but anytime soon.

I did add a few more pictures to the photo album.

Best one of Bert yet....he is trying to act innocent.

Last edited by ladytoysdream; 08-11-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: photo
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a few that are really fun too. Muppet especially. She's real tame and will come when called, but she is a slkie and her top knot hair do flops over her eyes so sometimes she'll bump into things before she makes it to me. She looks like a pompom running through a pinball game when she comes to me.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you posted a pic of your chicken, Missy. I think it's really cute

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing all of these great stories. They have brightened my day. Someday when we get moved to the country we will have chickens too I hope. I know they can be a lot of work but it sounds like the fun is worth it.
    Becky

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thx for sharing. u r so lucky to beable to have chickens. i have always wanted my own. i am so jelouse. i know it is a lot of work but the comedy makes it worth it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well Bert is still getting out of the chicken yard often, and being a bad chicken. He was out again, this afternoon.

Getting supper ready and I hear this noise...finally, fiqured out it was thunder and decided I quick better get the 2 loads of wash off the line outside. I go out on the deck and down the steps and get started. It had already started raining so I had to move fast.
    Then I noticed Bert....him and Lucy were out ....
    I just looked at him and said...
    *Bert....you take Lucy and head to the chicken yard ....NOW !!! *
    I went back in the house and grabbed a bowl of treats I had ready for them, and I went out the other door and down the driveway which is on the other side of the house.
    I get out to the chicken yard, behind the garage....and there he stood....Bert and Lucy.....both of them....at the chicken yard gate....I said....*c'mon Bert* and opened the gate and him and Lucy followed me in. Whew !!!!
    I close the gate and go back to the house and hubby gets home from work, and I tell him...not to worry about the chickens...they are in their yard and under cover. Then I tell him the newest Bert story.
    Well Bert maybe a bad chicken....but he is turning into a good rooster. He saved Lucy and himself ,from the heavy rainstorm.
    And me too, from getting really wet.
    We just got pounded hard. You know it's bad here, when the signal for the TV goes out.
    Just another day with Bert

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the pics........love hearing the stories about Bert......keep posting them. Always gives me a chuckle!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I loved your pics of the chickens. I have 3 buff orpingtons now and they are 17 weeks old and I just love them. The picture of your sunflower looks like it could be in a magazine. It is just beautiful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is nothing better than chicken tv!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like Bert is figuring out that he has a job to do. One of my roosters, Bob, is similar. He'll glare at me, but he'll usually do what I tell him to do.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well yesterday we finally got the new lumber for the chicken house. It's going to be 8 by 8 ft. We ended up at Lowes because they were willing to match a price quote I got from another building store. So on the items they were higher on, they matched the other store's price and gave us 10 % off additional. Total bill was $ 75 less than the other place wanted.
    With tax we came in just under $ 400 . We have a door here that is used we are going to recyle and 2 windows I bought at a garage sale this summer for $10 for the pair. Still have to get some vents somewhere.
    Or maybe we have something in the shed from our house addition 3 yrs ago. Hubby wanted a nice looking shed because if we get to the point we no longer have chickens, that the shed can be used for storage purposes.
    We are having a fellow come help hubby later in the week get this building up. Thank goodness

We had a scare a few days ago late afternoon ............
    I was next to the chicken yard in the garden trying to get some potatos dug up. Two of the young pullets were wandering in the garden with me. Bert was off doing his thing on the other side of the house.
    Next thing I know, I hear the two older hens that are laying start making noise. I thought how strange......they cackle when they lay eggs....what is their problem ? Then the big rooster starts moving out into the yard part, and he is making noise too. Good thing I was watching them because if I had had my back turned I would have missed it all........
    Next thing I know........here comes Bert on a dead run.....and he is leaping the fence/s in his way.....like one of those high jumpers.....
    he lands on the edge of the yard fence and next thing I know there is a black and white chicken next to him.....first thought went through my mind was........wait a minute...we don't have a black and white chicken....then it dawned on me......it was a HUGE hawk !
    Then I started yelling the hubby's name ....
    finally he comes walking down the driveway with the dogs on leash...
    he never heard me or so he says....
    so we start counting chickens and two of the pullets are no where in sight. Finally I spot Lucy amongst the pumpkins under the leaves....
    and finally Little Red comes out from under the low hanging branches on the pine tree just a sputtering.....
    We get them back in the pen. Hubby continues the walk with the dogs, and I keep muttering.....no more of this temporary coop / chicken yard....it is time we get them a more permanent home.
    Yes all the chickens are fine , thank goodness

And Bert is still being Bert...out again this morning with two of the red pullets. Hubby went over to where they were, and Bert and the 2 girls, just walked along with him down the creek side of the house back to the chicken yard. He opens the gate and they just walk in. Last night they walked down the driveway with him, just a talking and doing their little chicken dance. You can lead these chickens pretty good.....just don't try chasing them. It won't work

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, I'm so glad Bert beat the chicken hawk! Get that coop built! I'd hate to hear that something happened to him! I already feel like he is a relative!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear you

I'd cry if something happens to that crazy fool bird....

Late this afternoon, we found him on our porch deck.....he hopped in the dog yard, and right up on the steps. Hubby heard him talking, and found him behind the rocker checking things out.

I told him if Bert knocks on the door looking for treats....we ARE in trouble

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LTD - I cannot believe - but I do - what a personality Bert has!! Absolutely love his stories!! Wonder what he would say about his adventures in his own words!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast