Attack of the Dandelions
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Attack of the Dandelions

Part of our lawn is being overtaken by dandelions. We've struggled with getting grass to grow well on one side. Last year, I worked furiously....digging out bag upon bags of dandelions. This spring, I'm disheartened to see just as many as I had last year. I dug up two five gallon buckets full, but then decided I was running out of time before they turned to seed. So...here's hoping the boiling water method will work. Any other suggestions? I could also use some tips on overseeding our lawn in order to choke them out.

How much we enjoy what we have is more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment.---Unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was thinking of vinegar but not sure how to go about doing so...besides spraying the root of weed in cracks in the cement or digging out the roots and spraying the hole and area around it with vinegar.

I also found this article: Kill Dandelion Weeds in Lawn Organically | North Coast Gardening

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I was thinking of vinegar but not sure how to go about doing so...besides spraying the root of weed in cracks in the cement or digging out the roots and spraying the hole and area around it with vinegar.

I also found this article: Kill Dandelion Weeds in Lawn Organically | North Coast Gardening

Hope that helps!
    Thank you for the interesting article! I hadn't heard of that method for dandelion killing. I like that it's natural too.

How much we enjoy what we have is more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment.---Unknown

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use a pre-emergent broadleaf "weed and feed" in the early spring. It fertilizes the grass and prevents a variety of weeds.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not to be disrespectful of your attempt toget rid of your dandelions, but Debbie-cat would have loved your abundance when she was in her 'cook, make wine and do many wonderful things with dandelions' last year!!

Good luck!! We have never had dandelions on Maui - I saw them last spring in a new subdivision - talk about invasive species!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Not to be disrespectful of your attempt toget rid of your dandelions, but Debbie-cat would have loved your abundance when she was in her 'cook, make wine and do many wonderful things with dandelions' last year!!

Good luck!! We have never had dandelions on Maui - I saw them last spring in a new subdivision - talk about invasive species!!

I figured there would be someone out there who would want my abundance of dandelions. If I could ship them out of here, I would!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm busy using mine in jelly, syrup, pancakes, biscuits, "coffee"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And if your neighbors ---are close enough----and have them and don't treat them.......you won't ever get rid of all of them. Sad to say........

I have one neighbor that doesn't do anything for his 'bindweed'....also called morning glory.......and I fight it constantly! Horribly invasive and have read that the seeds can live in the ground for 15 years!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post

I was going to suggest eat them. Nothing will get rid of them faster than wanting them there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about a dandelion rake? It won't kill them, but it is easy and quick to use, and it clips the flowers and buds off before they go to seed. Non-toxic, so it won't hurt kids or pets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I changed my mind about them. The yellow color is beautiful across my yard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't get rid of them! They are completely edible - flowers, leaves, roots......

If you are in a preparedness frame of mind, a large patch of dandelions is a blessing to have! Most people have no idea you can eat them. It's kinda like having food storage right out in the open.
    Nothing can taste as good as being thin will feel.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, eat them! We batter the flower heads and fry. Yummy!

Greens make great salad with a bacon dressing.

Roots make tea that help lower blood pressure and is a liver tonic.