Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I Planted my Container Garden Yesterday

Wish me luck!!!! I will need it.

Lettuce
    sweet bell peppers
    zucchini
    and 2 types of tomatoes. One grape and the other I forgot.

I remembered to water them today too.

Any tips while you are here? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

keep the lettuce picked. Over mature lettuce is bitter. Just keep taking a few pieces.
    -Container gardens need much more water than gardens. Keep watering as soon as its dry. maybe everyday.

-You should not water is direct sun(plants will "faint" or after 4pm when they are growing. Yes plants grow at night like kids feet.

-pick the zucchini young about 6" and thin. Tastes sweeter that way and if you keep it picked you will get far more

-When the pepper bloom pinch off a few in their are lots. That way the plant can concentrate on a few and they will grow faster. At the end on the season pinch the late ones to let all the power go to the last few.

-At the end of the season dig/slice downward 6" out all the way around to stop root growth on the tomatoes. This will cause the plant to ripen off the last of the tomatoes. Unless you want green tomatoes to fry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So when is the best time to water them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I water my plants early in the morning before the sun hits them and I water lightly everyday unless it is raining of course. Have fun!
    April No Spend Days - 8 /22
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 100 /365
    2014 April Gas Challenge - $35 / $80
    April Keep Fit - 270 min / 900 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Give God your problems and he will give you His peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Watering is always my nemesis!!

Good luck and have fun Palooka!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    I water my plants early in the morning before the sun hits them and I water lightly everyday unless it is raining of course. Have fun!
    Thanks. Now I've gotta get in the habit of doing that first thing in the morning. DD said she will help me with it too.

I'm trying to figure out the too much water or not enough water thing. I need to read up more!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your pots should all drain, so that will help you not over water them. Stick a finger in the soil, the top can be dry, but half an inch down you should feel moisture. That is perfect. If you cannot feel moisture down 1" it is dry. If the soil has pulled away from the side of the pot it is way too dry.

Frugalwarrior's advice about watering is good, however around here it can get very hot and dry in the summer and my suggestion is to check the pots morning and evening and water in the evening if they are dry or else you will have dead plants the next morning. Don't splash the leaves.

It's kind of late and hot to be starting lettuce. Don't be surprised if it does not last long. I'm going to pick my first row this morning, but if we have much more of this 90* weather it's going to bolt before I get a second picking.

Get cages on the tomatoes before they get big. What kind did you get?

Oh yeah, keep an eye on the squash plant. You want to check the stem right at the point where it goes into the soil and look for white or yellow crumbly stuff on the stalk. Those are signs of borer worms. They get inside and eat the plant from the inside. You will have to get a sharp knife, like a fillet knife and slit the stalk and dig them out or they will kill the plant. Be vigilant, they usually show up just about the time the first fruit does. Wilting leaves are another sign.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I switched from planting in the ground to containers this year. It's so hard to garden in the summer here and I was hoping this would help with pest control and I could move them if they are getting too much sun. Good luck to you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Agree w/ most everything said but Mi. can only do lettuce now.
    I will start mine this week but keep it semi sunned.
    And yes water early in the morning. Soak it well but not puddles.
    And i do use cages but I will try trellis's this year too. Also tie them w/ soft cloth like old pantyhose. Metal will burn your plants.

CH- in that case I would put anything in a pot on a bottom and water it from the bottom. I also have used gravel like a dry well. And yes leaves don't like being touched.

I am going to do 4 upside down tomatoes too. If you like I will let you know how it worked. I worry about wind AND DH walking into them.lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Palooka, what type, and how big are your containers?

Thanks!
    Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm doing container gardening for the first time this year as well. I am going to get dirt this week. I have 4 huge containers, I'm thinking they will take 4 bags of dirt each, will be an inital investment, but I'm hoping it will pay off next year. Good luck, I'm planting pretty much the same things as you are!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, there was a wilted leaf on the lettuce today and was really dry already. I hope I can save it. I watered them a few minutes ago and the lettuce was the only one that wasn't looking so good.

We drilled holes in 5 gallon buckets that you get at Home Depot. We set plates on the bottom. That's good right? So it can soak up some water if needed? I think we bought about 4 or 5 bags of dirt.

When is a good time for Miracle Grow? Do I need it? The lettuce is just iceberg. Lost cause? I forgot to check the other type of tomato! Grape is the other one.

This really is a lesson for me. A learning experience.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not the best gardener, but I have a green thumb. If I plant it, it grows.I don't do anything special. My only tips are to use the non GMO seeds and avoid pesticides.I always make sure to grow my own corn.Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Palooka the plants are much more resiliant than you think. When first transplanted they will wilt until they get acclimated to the new place you transplanted them from. I'm not sure where you are and what your temperature is, but for future look up cold weather crops. I have always had a problem getting lettuce in soon enough so it doesn't bolt. BOLT is when it shoots up like a tree and becomes bitter to eat. If it is very warm where you live already you might want to try putting it in the shade.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been in the upper 80's and 90's this week until Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast