What are you enjoying from your garden?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question What are you enjoying from your garden?

Guess I am going to have to live vicariously through everyone else this year for the garden thing.

What have you been enjoying from your garden?

What have you lost and why?

My garden is so far behind from all the rain, not sure what I will get, and I didn't plant much as a cruddy spring and cooler summer was predicted.

I have lost one squash plant, and a zucchini,...........think the cukes might recover........that only leaves the tomatoes, that are so far looking 'decent' but sure aren't showing much growth! And more rain predicted for this week and back into the 50's for tomorrow's HIGH!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My harvest condition.
    Broccoli- finished
    Green Romaine lettuce - finished
    Red leaf Romaine-current
    Strawberries- current
    Cauliflower- finished.
    Beets- current
    Swiss Chard-current.
    Purslane-current.
    Collards-current
    Mint-current
    Basil-current
    Chives-current
    Pak Choy-current
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have enjoyed Asparagus and rhubarb so far, planted tomatoes, broccoli and brussels sprouts in containers. No garden as such, it got to be too much work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So far I have gotten a bowl of lettuce - but that is all I have picked. I have 4 pots full growing on the patio just waiting to be eaten.
    3 green chili peppers (cut up and in the freezer til I have a better use for them)

The garden was planted late so we are still in the growing stages.

I lost leaf lettuce that was planted in the beginning to an early unexpected frost. I just transplanted a bunch of tomato seedlings that are pretty stressed from the hot weather and lack of rain. I am not sure how many are going to make it. I still have plenty planted though- these were just 'extras'...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    I have enjoyed Asparagus and rhubarb so far, planted tomatoes, broccoli and brussels sprouts in containers. No garden as such, it got to be too much work.
    Gardening does interfere with watching Dr. Phil.
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All that we have left is scallions and shallots. We are using the scallions but are not sure when the shallots will be ready. The shallots have definately multiplied.
    Hello from Sunny Central Florida
    Cheryl

Gardening in zone 9B

~If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive. ~ Eleonora Duse

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

cucumbers
    eggplant
    tomatoes
    cabbage
    carrots
    potatoes
    squash
    green beans
    strawberries
    banana peppers
    jalapenos
    http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com

Trying to be more self sufficient here on our farm!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH YUM!!!! This all sounds so good.........

I didn't plant any lettuce this year and I don't even think broccoli would have done very well with the rain....it will often bolt.

I WAS hoping for a volunteer plant of lettuce, but if one came up, it DROWNED before I saw it to protect it.

I don't do root veggies..........but will be buying some beets. Our potatoes stay cheap enough that I don't mess with them.

I have had a few strawberries.......and probably shouldn't have, but cut a few spears of asparagus---my plants are still new.
    Also, have rhubarb coming for the second cutting. Gave all the first cutting away on CL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
    Gardening does interfere with watching Dr. Phil.
    Wow, was that a dig?! I have not watched Dr. Phil in years. I meant as I get older, the kneeling, digging, and other physical work is too much for my old body. Also the constant battle to keep critters of all kinds OUT as we are in a very rural location. Containers are much easier.

BTW, Durgan, I am very curious about how you got a crop of cauliflower in June. I know there are some very warm parts of Ontario (growing tomatoes, peanuts, and formerly tobacco commercially). Did you start plants inside, and when, and when did you put them out?

I never had luck with cauliflower although I did grow some massive broccoli one year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    Wow, was that a dig?! I have not watched Dr. Phil in years. I meant as I get older, the kneeling, digging, and other physical work is too much for my old body. Also the constant battle to keep critters of all kinds OUT as we are in a very rural location. Containers are much easier.

BTW, Durgan, I am very curious about how you got a crop of cauliflower in June. I know there are some very warm parts of Ontario (growing tomatoes, peanuts, and formerly tobacco commercially). Did you start plants inside, and when, and when did you put them out?

I never had luck with cauliflower although I did grow some massive broccoli one year.
    I actually have grown cauliflower & broccoli plants this year. I say plants because they have not begun to produce any veggies yet and hopefully they will. Up to this point I have not even been able to grown the plants themselves. And it's so bizarre, they are about 3 foot tall and bushy & the most beautiful healthy color....

So hear ya on the pain this gardening is giving the old body. I have been walking around like a 90 yr old woman the past 6 weeks...(guess this is a good example of things to come- better start taking care of this old girl - being really old STINKS!!!)

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to start plants from seed but since moving from a 9 room house to a 4 room house, there is no space to keep them. Also I was too cheap to buy potting soil and constantly had damping off. Very discouraging. Then I would put the little dears in the garden and the critters would attack.
    Gardening is like a second marriage - the triumph of hope over experience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got a break in the rain this PM and I picked two large hands full of strawberries.........at this point, I will take anything I get.

guess I will have to buy some if I am going to make a strawberry/rhubarb pie.........have the rhubarb but the strawberries disappear as fast as I
    can get them in the house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have harvested so far
    Lettuce--a rainbow of heirloom lettuce
    Mustard
    just started strawberries this year so no harvest
    squash
    peas
    and should have cucumbers by the end of the week
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow. --Mary Anne Radmacher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooooh...lots of stuff. Strawberries, spinach, lettuce, green onions, several types of peppers. My herb garden is flourishing...chives, tarragon, basil, marjoram, oregano, thyme, sage, lemon balm. I also enjoy cutting from my perennial flower garden. It is currently bursting at the seams with color.

My edible pod peas have been decimated by the out of control bunny population. That's currently the only loss.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had early season lettuce, bok choy, spinach and pea pods, but nothing in recent weeks except herbs. Weather has been wild this year, too hot too early then a late cold snap, then a long mild spring, it's just now starting to get seasonably hot.

My 2nd round of lettuce is due for culling (dinner tomorrow) and the swiss chard is approaching readiness. Rabbits ate it to the ground last month and my new seedlings got washed away in the one good rain storm we've had in 8 weeks... I broke down and bought new plants.

My green onions are getting on the big side, ought to pull them soon. Nothing else is ready. Tomatoes are growing very slowly, Potatoes are just sitting there, starting to go brown but have not bloomed yet. I think I have baby potatoes but have not tried to harvest anything yet. Garlic is looking good, not ready yet though.

Asparagus, blueberries and strawberries are all new this year, will be a while before we get anything off them.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast