Tomatoes Picked today.Twenty four Pounds
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Tomatoes Picked today.Twenty four Pounds

4 August 2012. Tomatoes Picked today.Twenty four Pounds 4 August 2012. Tomatoes Picked today.Twenty four Pounds
    Total from the 32 plants to date is 234 pounds. About 16 pounds will be juiced with celery and the remainder will be ingested fresh.
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thats a nice haul.I see you grow some different varieties.I myself grow San Marzano and Brandywines.I do like Celebrity but I tend to stick to the first two.Next year I will have to try some different ones.Any standouts for you that you keep planting?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holy tomatoes!!!! Great job!
    Mom to Sara Louise (11) Wife to wonderful hubby Chad

and furbabies Morrison passed away 12/9/07...will be missed greatly and Casey our German Shepherd mixed mutt from the local animal shelter

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by chowder View Post
    Thats a nice haul.I see you grow some different varieties.I myself grow San Marzano and Brandywines.I do like Celebrity but I tend to stick to the first two.Next year I will have to try some different ones.Any standouts for you that you keep planting?
    Black Krim is my favourite. All the dark ones are essentially the same.They are always scared but have a very strong tomato taste. When fully ripe they are a bit soft. I have 13 plants of Black Krim. All the others are good producers mostly hybrid and nothing to recommend them, except they usually have a nice shape for the market, since people go by appearance. Most if not all vine ripened tomatoes are scared to some degree. I have grown many different types and they are all essentially the same except in the eyes of the beholder. Sliced and on a sandwich one cannot determine much difference amongst the different types.
    Durgan

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice harvest. I wish I could say mine are coming, but the heat here has all but killed my plants. I'm hoping for a late crop once it starts to cool off.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Nice harvest. I wish I could say mine are coming, but the heat here has all but killed my plants. I'm hoping for a late crop once it starts to cool off.
    In my experience there is never too much heat or Sun for tomatoes. We have had the hottest Summer that I have encountered. I do Magic Water Wand method of applying water to the the roots about every five or six days. I use rainfall water if it is available. Never have I had such a prolific crop. The plants are still loaded with fruit and the vines are healthy in appearance and very rich green. Today I gave each plant a large milk pail full of water right around the root ball from my three 45 gallon drums full from the last rainfall. This is the best tomato crop that I ever had in my home garden, no matter where I lived.
    Durgan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started my tomatoes from seed, gave away some to friends and ended up with 23 tomato plants this spring, a row and a half in our garden. We had a good harvest this year. I think Bradley, Beefsteak did the best for us. When it gets hot and dry, I stretch a drip hose and soak the roots.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There has been no rain here since April or May, nothing but a few sprinkles, fractions of an inch at a time. We are watering overnight every other night. The plants look good, but they have not really taken off yet. They bloom, but won't set fruit. Typically, once they start fruiting they won't stop until just before Thanksgiving. I'm just waiting. We had a cold front come through this evening and tease use with thunder, lightning and no rain to speak of. The weather is changing and it will be fall in a few weeks and we will see what happens.

Also, I don't know what you consider "heat", but down here it's been 100F or more nearly every day since June 25th. It was 105 yesterday.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

12 August Tomatoes Collected 50 Pounds 12 August Tomatoes Collected 50 Pounds picked today.Total from the 32 plants to date is 284 pounds.
    Durgan