Making JAM using expired pectin sure jell
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Making JAM using expired pectin sure jell

I have the fruit thawing to make several batches of jam today. I made sure I had plenty of sugar and thought I had enough sure-jell. Well I do, if I count the expired boxes. Sigh
    So I just did a search on google for expired pectin, sure jell. What I have is the dry kind, not liquid. Expiration is 2002. Yup, 10 yrs old. I am thinking of using a box of jello also in the batch to help set it up better.

So have you used expired, and how much expired was it ?

I priced sure jell yesterday in Walmart
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not worry about it! What can happen to pectin? Not like it is a pharmaceutical or something.

IMO they go crazy with expiration dates. I even saw one on my dish soap this morning. Really, I had better throw out that old expired dish soap.....

And calcium tablets!! Hello, it is a mineral ...as in, a ROCK basically.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it doesn't work, no worries. You can still use the jam for pancake syrup or ice cream topping , so it wouldn't go to waste.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I used the old stuff for the strawberry batch. I put in a box of strawberry jello, just in case. And it gives a better flavor ...been there, done that
    I am pretty sure it set up. The pectin looked fine. Been in dry storage, etc. And the jam tastes good. I scraped the pot before it went into the wash pan
    I made the red raspberry batch with expired sure jell also....
    this one was better though...March of 2012. Time either gets away from me, or I buy too much of stuff. Not sure anymore. Note to self...check expiration dates more often.
    I pulled out 2 quarts of grape juice canned from 2 years ago. Plan is to strain the grapes out, and make jelly from the juice. I do not add sugar when I make juice, so no problem adding the correct amount of sugar for the jelly recipe I also have a box of grape jello ready to go in that batch , just in case.

Well the water bath is now bubbling good, so waiting on the 20 minutes to process those 12 jars from the 2 batches. I used those tall slender ones with the quilted sides. I just measured one and it holds 1.5 cups of water. So 2 nice yields.

Well I need to make supper and I guess I should make a batch or two of the grape. Sounds like a plan

Last year, when I made a batch of grape jelly, it did not set up correctly. So I made a second batch, and on purpose , made it thicker. Opened the first group of jars, and added it to the second batch, heated it up, and then reprocessed it.
    It worked...saved that batch of runny jelly.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about expiration dates.Makes you wonder sometimes.Just verifies the throw away society we live in now.I have used the dry pectin in the past from expired boxes and never had a problem.I always seem to buy too many each season.
    Good for you with your jam making,I love to do that each Fall.Just waiting for my Raspberries to ripen and I will whip some up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just found out about this making jam with jello thingie last year. I have made rhubarb jam with strawberry jello. I hear you can also make "raspberry" jam with green tomatos ground up and raspberry jello.
    I would love to hear any more stories about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post

So have you used expired, and how much expired was it ?

I priced sure jell yesterday in Walmart
    I have used expired.........quite often, never had a problem. Think it might have been newer than 10 years exp. though. (good to see someone as bad, or worse, then I am---)

The price and using the exp. is exactly why I will do it...........would rather have 'runny jam' than toss something. I think part of the key---if there is one---is keeping it in a cool, dry spot. Mine is in the basement---always cool---and dry.

Jos........have made jam with green tomatoes.......and using jello.......for any flavor it seems a little milder but friends that "think" they HATE tomatoes ate it........and then I told them what they were eating. Have tried cherry, rasp., strawberry......my favorite was rasp...........my least fav. was cherry. I think the cherry was too mild for my taste. But still decent. It is great fun to experiment.

Have you tried the jam using bananas? I think it is really good and lots seem to love it on waffles. My first batch was a little sweet but got it down now.