Making JAM using expired pectin sure jell
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Making JAM using expired pectin sure jell

I have the fruit thawing to make several batches of jam today. I made sure I had plenty of sugar and thought I had enough sure-jell. Well I do, if I count the expired boxes. Sigh
    So I just did a search on google for expired pectin, sure jell. What I have is the dry kind, not liquid. Expiration is 2002. Yup, 10 yrs old. I am thinking of using a box of jello also in the batch to help set it up better.

So have you used expired, and how much expired was it ?

I priced sure jell yesterday in Walmart
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not worry about it! What can happen to pectin? Not like it is a pharmaceutical or something.

IMO they go crazy with expiration dates. I even saw one on my dish soap this morning. Really, I had better throw out that old expired dish soap.....

And calcium tablets!! Hello, it is a mineral ...as in, a ROCK basically.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it doesn't work, no worries. You can still use the jam for pancake syrup or ice cream topping , so it wouldn't go to waste.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I used the old stuff for the strawberry batch. I put in a box of strawberry jello, just in case. And it gives a better flavor ...been there, done that
    I am pretty sure it set up. The pectin looked fine. Been in dry storage, etc. And the jam tastes good. I scraped the pot before it went into the wash pan
    I made the red raspberry batch with expired sure jell also....
    this one was better though...March of 2012. Time either gets away from me, or I buy too much of stuff. Not sure anymore. Note to self...check expiration dates more often.
    I pulled out 2 quarts of grape juice canned from 2 years ago. Plan is to strain the grapes out, and make jelly from the juice. I do not add sugar when I make juice, so no problem adding the correct amount of sugar for the jelly recipe I also have a box of grape jello ready to go in that batch , just in case.

Well the water bath is now bubbling good, so waiting on the 20 minutes to process those 12 jars from the 2 batches. I used those tall slender ones with the quilted sides. I just measured one and it holds 1.5 cups of water. So 2 nice yields.

Well I need to make supper and I guess I should make a batch or two of the grape. Sounds like a plan

Last year, when I made a batch of grape jelly, it did not set up correctly. So I made a second batch, and on purpose , made it thicker. Opened the first group of jars, and added it to the second batch, heated it up, and then reprocessed it.
    It worked...saved that batch of runny jelly.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about expiration dates.Makes you wonder sometimes.Just verifies the throw away society we live in now.I have used the dry pectin in the past from expired boxes and never had a problem.I always seem to buy too many each season.
    Good for you with your jam making,I love to do that each Fall.Just waiting for my Raspberries to ripen and I will whip some up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just found out about this making jam with jello thingie last year. I have made rhubarb jam with strawberry jello. I hear you can also make "raspberry" jam with green tomatos ground up and raspberry jello.
    I would love to hear any more stories about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post

So have you used expired, and how much expired was it ?

I priced sure jell yesterday in Walmart
    I have used expired.........quite often, never had a problem. Think it might have been newer than 10 years exp. though. (good to see someone as bad, or worse, then I am---)

The price and using the exp. is exactly why I will do it...........would rather have 'runny jam' than toss something. I think part of the key---if there is one---is keeping it in a cool, dry spot. Mine is in the basement---always cool---and dry.

Jos........have made jam with green tomatoes.......and using jello.......for any flavor it seems a little milder but friends that "think" they HATE tomatoes ate it........and then I told them what they were eating. Have tried cherry, rasp., strawberry......my favorite was rasp...........my least fav. was cherry. I think the cherry was too mild for my taste. But still decent. It is great fun to experiment.

Have you tried the jam using bananas? I think it is really good and lots seem to love it on waffles. My first batch was a little sweet but got it down now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked red raspberries this morning and chose to use liquid pectin Certo that expired 3 years ago! Today is August 14, 2015 and the pectin expired September 20, 2012. I knew it was a gamble but I was up for it... I feel lucky today. Most importantly, I am too FRUGAL (or cheap) to go buy new pectin. I wanted to use what I had on hand.

Anyways, I made extra care to measure everything precisely: the sugar and the exact amount of crushed berries and I gave it a go. It worked out perfectly! Right now the jam is sitting on the counter setting up as I type. I am so excited that it worked. This pectin was sealed in a foil package and was clear and flowed nicely when I added it to the recipe. So, it seems this liquid pectin can be used much longer than the expiry date suggests. I just wanted to contribute my experience for future readers of this blog.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Use that expired liquid pectin if it looks good!

I picked red raspberries this morning and chose to use liquid pectin Certo that expired 3 years ago! Today is August 14, 2015 and the pectin expired September 20, 2012. I knew it was a gamble but I was up for it... I feel lucky today. Most importantly, I am too FRUGAL (or cheap) to go buy new pectin. I wanted to use what I had on hand.

Anyways, I made extra care to measure everything precisely: the sugar and the exact amount of crushed berries and I gave it a go. It worked out perfectly! Right now the jam is sitting on the counter setting up as I type. I am so excited that it worked. This pectin was sealed in a foil package and was clear and flowed nicely when I added it to the recipe. So, it seems this liquid pectin can be used much longer than the expiry date suggests. I just wanted to contribute my experience for future readers of this blog.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree. I don't think I'd worry about pectin.

The worst expired product I've ever tried to use was toothpaste that was years out of date. Does toothpaste get old? Yes. Apparently it does ... eventually.
    Mortgage free. Debt free! Finally paid off orthodontia.