Started my garden! Go big or go home!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Started my garden! Go big or go home!

My husband brought home a bunch of packs of seeds and a little seed planter and some soil. I got all of the seeds started and put them in the sunroom.

I hope some of them grow. I've never had a garden before and my husband does NOTHING small. I just wanted a tomato plant and I was going to buy the plant not the seeds. ugh.

So, now we have to figure out where in the yard we are going to build the garden. He's going to build a raised bed with wood.

Any ideas on how to keep the animals out? We have rabbits that run around the neighborhood. My husband is thinking about a plastic fence or something.

I'm fairly certain, we are going to have a few hundred bucks in this garden and maybe get a tomato or two. hahahaha

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where you live?
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Southern Ohio.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't use plastic fence. Rabbits chew through plastic. Use a metal fence. They sell "garden fence" that's metal. I think they color it green? Otherwise chicken wire is great. You gotta make sure the holes are small enough.

Congrats on the garden!
    Step 1
    1000/1000
    Step 2 (what we owe/original amount)

SUV loan 1250/8300
    Best Buy Card- PIF 1/18/14!!
    Gander mountain 733/950

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chicken wire roll two feet wide with three foot rebar at four foot intervals works just fine. Readily available at TSC or most farms supply stores and many hardware stores. A removable gate makes access easy readily made from lumber. This is probably the most simple approach. I have such a fence around my 25 by 40 foot garden and it is effective.
    Garden Zone Galvanized Hex Netting, 24 in. x 50 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.
    Durgan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BEWARE I thought like you that nothing would come up if I planted seeds However that is not the case this year for me as now I have 9 zucchini plants .....over 2 dozen strawberry plants....3 apple trees...2 peach trees...1 plum tree....several carrots and several beets...1 cilantro...2 collards... and more stuff is coming up...I Love It!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use human hair to keep the bunnies out as do many of my clients. Salons save it for people all summer. We also have another garden with 6 ft fence that has the things in it the deer like.

Be cautious of going overboard. It is a lot to keep up with. I once planted 64 tomato plants stupidly thinking 1-2 tomatoes per plant. What a nightmare! We couldnt get rid of them fast enough. Hubby also once planted 2 thirty foot row of zucchini though I told him 1 plant.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nodmicks) now that's a crap-load of Zukes! 64 tomatoes aren't enough for our family of 4, so it's all dependent on what you use. Be easy on Zukes tho, they don't can, don't freeze well, everyone is giving to them away so no one wants them, etc.
    Step 1
    1000/1000

SUV loan 1250/8300
    Gander mountain 733/950

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
    Nodmicks) now that's a crap-load of Zukes! 64 tomatoes aren't enough for our family of 4, so it's all dependent on what you use. Be easy on Zukes tho, they don't can, don't freeze well, everyone is giving to them away so no one wants them, etc.
    Our 64 tomato plants grew like crazy. I am the only one that likes tomato. The kids had great fun with the zucchini. What we couldn't use or give away we let get huge. We carved some like pumpkins. They had zucchini wars out in the field.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nodmicks) well at least you have good stories to look back on! Lol I would be besides myself with that many Zukes. My hubby doesn't like them. My kids are so so about them. Even I am so so about them! One plant will be enough for me!

Oh man, only you like tomatoes? I need me for fresh eating, salsa, canning stewed, diced, sauce, etc. gets busy around here in fall.
    Step 1
    1000/1000

SUV loan 1250/8300
    Gander mountain 733/950

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish you luck, Giro! After a few years of spending a couple hundred dollars and getting only a handful of veggies, I've given up. I just do not have a way with plants! But at least I tried. And now, when I spend a small fortune at the farmer's market, I'll never second guess it, because I know for sure that I definitely cannot grow it cheaper myself!

As far as fencing, I preferred the plastic as it was easier to maneuver than the metal, but toward the end of the season, either rabbits or squirrels did chew through it at the bottom and get into the garden. This year, I have some leftover lettuce coming up on its own in my abandoned beds, and I'm having fun watching the rabbits feast
    12/13/14 Goal: Increase investing by $12,000...met on 3/14/2014!!
    New goal: Increase investing by $20,000
    Progress so far: $17,566

2014 Household purge/declutter challenge: decluttered and maintaining!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with your garden!
    Cheryl

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
    Chicken wire roll two feet wide with three foot rebar at four foot intervals works just fine. Readily available at TSC or most farms supply stores and many hardware stores. A removable gate makes access easy readily made from lumber. This is probably the most simple approach. I have such a fence around my 25 by 40 foot garden and it is effective.
    Garden Zone Galvanized Hex Netting, 24 in. x 50 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.
    I hate chicken wire. It's a PITA to work with.
    This is effective as a rabbit deterrent and much easier to work with. Garden Zone Gard'n Fence Rabbit Guard, 28 in. x 50 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Be cautious of going overboard. It is a lot to keep up with.
    Completely agree. A first time gardener can get discouraged very easily and just give up vowing never to garden again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is my experience with rabbit fence. The fence is still standing and serves its purpose. Rebar and ties make handling easy, and chicken wire is cheap.

10 June 2010 Rabbit Fence 10 June 2010 Rabbit Fence
    One or two rabbits appear daily and do much damage, so a fence was placed around the vegetable garden.

The fence roll is two feet high, with 3 inch by 2 inch mesh, and 50 feet in length. The perimeter of the bed is 140 feet. The post are 3′ rebar, which was painted with Tremclad paint to inhibit rusting. The posts were placed at four foot intervals, and a metal staple was placed on the bottom of the fence between the posts to insure the rabbit cannot squeeze underneath. The fence was tied to the posts using plastic ties.

The other choice for fencing was chicken wire, which is more difficult to work with. My only concern is the mesh being 3″ by 2″ may be too large- meaning Mr. Rabbit may squeeze through the opening. No doubt I will soon know.

13 June 2010 UPDATE:
    The rabbit fence depicted is useless. My dog, Neena, was chasing a fair sized rabbit and it went right through the fence without stopping and out the other end of the garden. The mesh is too large.
    I have to run chicken wire. Here are pictures of the chicken wire added on the existing fence. 12 June 2010 Rabbit proofing using Chicken wire. 12 June 2010 Rabbit proofing using Chicken wire.
    Durgan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, the 3X2 inch is useless. The fence I linked has 1X2 near the bottom.

The reviews are all good here because it does the job. .

Amazon.com: Origin Point 342850 28-Inch x 50-Foot 16-Gauge Galvanized Rabbit Guard Netting: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast