Tackling the garden again
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Tackling the garden again

So last year was terribly unsuccessful. The only thing that really grew were green onions that we pretty much bought already grown.

This year, I am not growing corn at all. It took up all of the space and I didn't get a single ear of good corn. I will try tomatoes, green beans, onions and carrots. I need to dig everything up and put new soil in the bottom of the bed.

Last year was my first year of gardening. I remember having a garden when I was really young (maybe 3) but after that I only remember stealing potatoes from a farmer's field to have for dinner. :/ we were poor and my mother would send us out to get some.

Any tips on the soil? How deep should it be? I know it wasn't deep enough last year because my carrots grew in a ball instead of straight down.

I'm going to start the seeds this weekend in my sunroom. I have the little package thingy ready to go.

super excited! I want to get enough tomatoes to can them. That would be AWESOME!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default gardening

Dick Raymond-out of print but he is fantastic (try Ebay ). The book is a garden year.
    Grow sweet millions. They are a cherry type tomato. I had 6 vines that grew 6' tall then bent over and made a canopy. They produce and keep producing.
    Last edited by frugalwarrior2; 03-12-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: change

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you growing your vegetables in the ground or in a container?

If in a container, one tomato can grow well in a half barrel, anything smaller will restrict the roots and you will get less produce. It's really important to fertilize your soil properly. And tomatoes like 6 - 10 hours of son and deep infrequent watering. By infrequent I mean to let the soil NOT get completely dry, but on the dryer side before watering again. And then watering deeply to encourage deep root growth.

Corn needs to be planted in blocks so you get cross pollination, and it does take more space than other crops. I never grow it because of the space.

Carrots like loose soil, not compacted. And if you are growing bulbing onions vs green onions, they take a LONG time to grow. I started seeds early in August, planted them in the ground in early October and we harvested them in June. So they need a dedicated space for a long time. Of course green onions are much quicker, but bolt in warmer weather. They do better in cooler weather.

Does your county have a Master gardener program? If so, they might have a vegetable planting chart that shows what vegetables grow well in what month. Some bolt in the heat and some languish in the cold.
    Birdie

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Start small, you're less likely to get discouraged. Read as much as you can and focus on a few plants.

it sounds like you didn't plant enough corn for pollination or spaced too far apart. I never grow corn myself due to it uses a lot of nutrients in the soil.
    I encourage you to read and educate yourself on amending the soil. It will make gardening a LOT easier.

http://www.almanac.com/vegetable-gar...-for-beginners

http://lifehacker.com/the-seven-easi...rde-1562176780
    Disclaimer: Poster has the uncanny ability to offend people by asking questions the wrong way.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Green beans... my personal favorite is Blue Lake bush beans. The really produce a lot, you don't have to stake or tie them and are easy to grow.
    Disclaimer: Poster has the uncanny ability to offend people by asking questions the wrong way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember having a garden when my family was living in Upstate New York (I was around 10 at the time). This will be my fourth year at that garden. Every year I've gained more confidence in adding new veggies to plant so I look at even the failures (peppers don't seem to want to grow in my area) as learning experiences.

You might want to check to see if there's a gardening extension or Master Gardener's group in your area. The Master Gardeners should be able to answer any questions you have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hi everyone. i just signed up today and this is my first post. i'm excited for gardening for this year as well. we live in chicago in an apartment, and have a very small plot by the parking lot where we grow stuff in the summer. we've grown green beans (our staple!), peas, tomatoes, peppers, rosemary, squash, okra (didn't turn out well), eggplant, basil,... we like trying out new stuff all the time!