My 2017 Gardening Journal - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL - That's how I feel about strawberries. I can't stand store bought strawberries anymore.

Living Large - getting three strawberry plants from seed is great news, although it would've been better if you were able to get more. I will give you fair warning, though. Once established, strawberry plants send out runners and set down new roots/plants. They also seem to send out roots as well. I know this because I actually didn't plant strawberries in my plot. They're actually volunteers from the next plot over. One year, someone planted the strawberries and then abandoned the plot. The next year I showed up to start prepping for the new growing season, only to find a couple of strawberry plants in my plot. They're still there. I try to keep them from overtaking my plot, which they would be happy to do if permitted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tomatoes are the biggest on my list of fruits/veggies I will not buy from the store. After growing up on garden fresh tomatoes the ones in the store have no flavor. Unless you garden or cook from scratch you don't realize how terrible the stuff in the store really is.

I remember that strawberries send out runners from picking them as a kid. Dad always had a strawberry patch. I'm counting on the runners to be able to have any to eat next year! lol

I forgot to add that DH picked 1.5 sandwich bags of wild blackberries that grow on his sisters property. Those went into the freezer. I think that takes the total to 6 bags.
    2017 Goals:
    Saving:
    January - $3,000/$3,000...February - $3,000/$3,000...March - $3,000/$3,000...April - -$9000(to fund 2016 Roth)/$3,000...May - $4,000/$1,000...June - $0/$0...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$3,000...September - $0/$3,000...October - $0/$3,000...November - $0/$3,000...December - $0/$3,000

Roth:
    2016:
    January - $1,000/$1,000...February - $1,000/$1,000...March - $1000/$1,000...April - $9,000/$9000 Fully Funded!!
    2017:
    April - $1,000/$1,000...May - $1,000/$1,000...June - $0/$1,000...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$0...September - $0/$2,000...October - $0/$2,000...November - $0/$2,000...December - $0/$3,000

Debt
    January - $594.14/$650...February - $750.87/$650...March - $752.10/$650...April - $0/$650...May - $0/$650...June - $0/$650...July - $0/$650...August - $0/$650...September - $0/$650...October - $0/$650...November - $0/$650...December - $0/$650

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few of people have/had raspberry bushes in the community garden I'm a part of. They tend to spread as well. No one is allowed to plant them any more because of this. Then again, we had some of the bushes planted to a plot just outside the fence as a sort of communal set of bushes.

On the other hand, they also set up a communal herb patch as well. I haven't picked any of those (there are chives, thyme, and sage among others). I'm waiting until the tomatoes come in to make my tomato sauce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Garden's coming along. The only thing that seems to have an issue is the carrots but they're usually hit or miss. The strawberries are almost done for the season, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have tons of wild raspberries around our place and they do spread.

I got the tomatoes potted, finally. That's mostly what we have this year. We don't have much time to deal with gardening and hardly bought any flowers either. But the wheels are always turning in my mind and I'm very much looking forward to developing our new garden area after we've caught up with some of our big projects this summer. Some things have happened already to help that along, such as getting the siding done on our cabin. That means I can think about putting table gardens and other types of large planters by the walls of that. I have some ideas but no time to implement them yet.

I just had a big surprise in the garden area in front of our house. Last spring I had noticed some evil varmint had eaten not just the rhubarb sprouts, but the parts below ground, too. But apparently whatever noshed on that left enough of the roots for the plant to survive. I now have not one but two big plants out there! I haven't been in that area since early this spring and it's overgrown with weeds at the moment, so I hadn't noticed the rhubarb. That was a $13 plant we got a couple years ago at the nursery. When we brought it to pay for it at the register, the clerk took one look at it and told us to take it for free because it was in bad shape and it was the only one left. Nobody thought it would survive, but the next year it grew quite well. Then this year it got eaten, so we thought it was dead after all. That thing has more lives than any cat!

The strawberries I thought were gone have, instead, gone wild. They're not much in the box anymore where we started them a few years ago, but they've spread all over the ground outside the box and even outside the garden itself. Wow! I knew they would spread but it's a carpet of strawberries now. I should look into building something I could cover with bird netting and see if we could get any strawberries for ourselves. Of course they're bear bait so we'd have to be careful where we put a strawberry bed.

In spite of the lack of time, I'm really excited about gardening this year. I've had a taste of using the greenhouse now and love that, plus we've managed to do a lot of upgrades to it starting with the new floor we built partially from salvaged decking early in the spring. I've done a lot of upgrades since then and also been very lucky finding items to salvage that have proven to be pretty darn nice in there. I've also salvaged a lot of parts and items I plan to use to build containers and other things for the garden, and have a big potting sink bench in progress now. I need to take some notes and keep a gardening journal so I can remember what works and doesn't each year.

I'm sure hoping we get some tomatoes and other veggies from all our potted stuff this year. I mixed up some soil mix recommended in the book Square Foot Gardening, and I hope it'll be magically. We're not very knowledgeable about fertilizer and that's probably why we don't always do well with our gardening attempts. Maybe this year will be different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our garden has been doing great! I have cucumbers that were coming out of our ears and they are finally starting to slow down to a manageable level, I hope.

The peas are done and plants have been removed, same with the bok choy and corn. Tomatoes are starting to produce and we pick 3-6 large tomatoes every day. Today was the first day we were able to pick more than a few cherry tomatoes. I had to dig the potatoes due to all the rain and them rotting in the ground. Peppers are putting on, been pulling and eating carrots, The yardlong beans put on and the plants are having a second growth spurt and have new blooms.

I just started a few seeds yesterday - celery, peppers and zucchini.
    2017 Goals:
    Saving:
    January - $3,000/$3,000...February - $3,000/$3,000...March - $3,000/$3,000...April - -$9000(to fund 2016 Roth)/$3,000...May - $4,000/$1,000...June - $0/$0...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$3,000...September - $0/$3,000...October - $0/$3,000...November - $0/$3,000...December - $0/$3,000

Roth:
    2016:
    January - $1,000/$1,000...February - $1,000/$1,000...March - $1000/$1,000...April - $9,000/$9000 Fully Funded!!
    2017:
    April - $1,000/$1,000...May - $1,000/$1,000...June - $0/$1,000...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$0...September - $0/$2,000...October - $0/$2,000...November - $0/$2,000...December - $0/$3,000

Debt
    January - $594.14/$650...February - $750.87/$650...March - $752.10/$650...April - $0/$650...May - $0/$650...June - $0/$650...July - $0/$650...August - $0/$650...September - $0/$650...October - $0/$650...November - $0/$650...December - $0/$650

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I admit it, I have garden envy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL - just noticed my pea plants have some flowers on them. It's been pretty chilly until recently. On one hand, the broccoli and cabbages have loved it. On the other, the peas seem to be lagging a bit. I'm usually harvesting the peas about this time of year. I usually pull the plants up about July 4th as they're usually done by then.

Haven't seen much on my tomatoes, other than upward growth. Then again, they tend not to really start producing until later in the summer, in my area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have concluded our garden planting for the year, I hope. I potted two leftover violas I started in the AeroGardens earlier this year, and put in eight hills of cucumbers. That's it, nobody is left that needs to be dealt with. I hope it all does well. I also hope next year I have more time to fool with plants, and do a better job, too.

We won't have any snap peas and green beans this year. I'll miss them. I put the cucumbers in their spot. I hope next year we'll have a new space for all of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The peas and tomatoes are starting to really get going now. The peas aren't ready to be picked at the moment but they will be shortly. The tomato plants themselves have shot up a lot over the past week with all the rain and then sun. It had been pretty cool for the season recently but the past few days have been more summer like.

I have two carrots though. I'll leave them alone for the time being. The tops tend to really get bushy but the carrots themselves take longer to really get going.

I think I'll start harvesting the cabbages soon and try my hand at sauerkraut. The broccoli are very leafy but no broccoli yet.

On the other hand, my chamomile has taken off this year. I thought it had died off last year when I planted it. Apparently not. But that's ok since I want to try my own chamomile, rather than getting it from the store. My lavender has also taken off but it's been there 5 years already. We have a small community herb garden just outside the fence for anyone to take and another lavender plant was put in that as well. So now there's two plants to pollenate each other, although they're not that close together.

I've been harvesting some herbs, such as my lavender and especially some lemon balm that's gone wild.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far I only have greens. I do have 7 cherry tomato plants that have a respectable number of green tomatoes on them. I applied blood meal and that perked all the plants up a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear the garden is finally taking off. There is nothing better than HM sauerkraut and It's so easy to make. DH never had the store stuff and only knows hm and he loves the stuff.

Our tomatoes have been doing great. Every day I'd been putting some in the freezer and today I took out 3 gallons of whole frozen tomatoes and made a big batch of spaghetti sauce with meat in it. 11 quarts and 1 pint.

Dehydrating 2 more trays of cucumbers. We've had to harvest all the potatoes, onions and garlic because of the rain. Yesterday I canned 7 quarts of pot roast using my potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions and celery from last year that I threw into the freezer.

We had a muskmelon plant die and had to eat the melon. it was a little early but had good flavor. We have 3 more melons on the plant.

The 3 strawberries we started form seed, one of the plants is flowering. I'm so excited! It will only be a couple of berries but that's more than I expected to get this year.

None of my round 2 seeds are up yet.
    2017 Goals:
    Saving:

Roth:
    2016:
    2017:

Debt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just reading this morning about eating radish leaves. I'm going to try that once our radishes get big enough to eat. I'm curious now how they taste. I've read you can use them to make pesto, or cooked like spinach, or as topping on a salad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a big radish fan but planted some last year because I had the seeds. I let the plants go to seed - to see what the flowers looked like and because I read that the radish leaves would draw beetles away from other vegetables I liked better (like eggplant).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got my first pea harvest of the season. I had originally thought it was pretty late but I went through my garden journal and it seems it's pretty close to what happened last year as well. But I think I won't be planting new bean plants in that area by the 4th of July as I have done in the past. That's ok.

17. Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast