Going off grid

Thread: Going off grid

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Going off grid

Here is a great site, along with testimonies for going off grid. Also, the background page is incredible on this site.

Enjoy!!

http://www.offgrid.homestead.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a very brave move..... I can't imagine being that self reliant ............

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lori, if we had an acreage, we'd do this in a heartbeat. I've heard of one person doing it in Calgary, in fact one company has done it (his company). The owner has gone totally off grid in his home and in his business. All his trucks are run by battery power. He has an incredible story and I hope some day that he writes a book about it.

I also heard of a couple in Nova Scotia who have done the exact same thing and they don't have a car, they use a bike to go everywhere, even in the winter time. They say they don't miss electricity as we know it and love living off grid.

Living here, people already think were weird. Going off grid, they'd think we had gone off the deep end.

Personally, I think it would be easier if you lived in the country, on an acreage, where you didn't have close neighbours!!!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the county where I live, you can not be without running water or electricity, if you have children. It's considered child neglect. I think it's preposterous! I think most kids would be better off, living "off grid".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dixie, is that the law or just social services, getting into people's lives again. Like give me a break!!!!

If its law, do you know where I could read up on it. I find that fascinating that a law could be like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only thing I would miss is the bill. I guess that would mean that you would be lost to us if you did it, because how would you run your computer. If that is the case, I hope you never go off grid. If you did, I would only know one bread recipe and never learn to quilt.................CJ...........don't go!!!!!!!!!! (please )

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's probably social services. I remember a few years ago my two older sons and some other men from the church helped a lady who was going to lose custody of her kids because she was off grid. Our church is comprised of a lot of homeschoolers and "back to the landers". We were outraged! My oldest ds and I were just talking about this very subject this morning. He said it was a law, but I'm sure you're right. It's probably the ss. I would love to see this challenged in court!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Robin, first I won't be going off grid here in this small town, although I sure would in a heartbeat if I could. Second, there are many people who have gone off grid and still use computers. They have GENERATORS.

I belong to a homeschooling organization for special needs kids and they are totally off grid (both the organization and the family who runs it). They have their own website and forums, so never fear. If I went off grid, I'd still have a computer.

Dixie, I can't imagine it being law. In Califorinia, there are many who have gone off grid. I was reading that last night. I'm sure once again, its social services who want to pick a fight. (I'm sure in the case you talk about, they probably used off grid but it was a homeschooling issue.) Its so unfair, that in our countries, were not allowed to do homeschooling or going off grid, without someone trying to take your kids away. Don't get me wrong here, at times social services need to step in, (I was a foster mom for 6 years so I know that), but at other times, its ridiculous.

The family I'm talking about have 8 children at last count and a couple are special needs kids. They have managed very successfully living off grid. The family from Calgary are managing very successfully and he runs a million $$ company, totally off grid.

btw Dixie - I think I'd really like your church. Sounds like my kind of people.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great site CJ!! Lots of information that I can't wait to read, thanks!