Frugal Village Forums banner

peppers

Tags
peppers
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  guest2 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when to start bell peppers indoors? And has anyone ever sown them directly in the ground and had any luck?
My MIL says its best to start them indoors and early. I tried to plant them last year in the garden with just seed but my squash took off and they disappeared underneath them:eek:

#2 ·
My dad always started them in the house first along with tomatoes and broccoli I think. He had a whole system set up in the basement where he had his plants up close to some floresent lights.

If my mom sees this post she can probably help you but if not, we have a sister site http://www.homesteadgarden.com that has some wonderful members that could help you.

#3 ·
My dh starts most of our peppers and tomatoes indoor every year in the spring. He just gets those little trays that have the lid (makes a mini greenhouse) at Wally World and uses a grow lite bulb over them. We always have gobs of plants and gobs of peppers (which I lurve!).

#5 ·
Hi Mamabird,
Yes Deed is correct. My Hubby always started seeds in trays, watered & covered with plastic wrap; under floresent lights. He does not bother to do this anymore [getting older I guess has something to do with it] He just goes to a grower close by here & buys a few seedlings to plant.

#6 ·
We are getting our tomato and peppers started sometime this week indoors. I have had success in the past with sowing the seeds directly in the ground when it's been a really hot and long summer, but that is really taking a huge chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.