Cheap landscaping ideas needed
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cheap landscaping ideas needed

I hope to landscape my front/side yard this year. I am almost starting from scratch. On either side of my walk are a lilac bush and a dogwood tree. The dogwood must be cut down. This will leave that side of the walk unbalanced. I have hostas growing in the side yard. Some of these will be transplanted to the front. The side yard is too sunny for them.
    I need cheap landscaping ideas. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You don't have your location listed - but for cheap ideas I like to go collect big rocks and antique "refuse" items - mainly rusted stuff - do you need to cover a particular problem (like needing shade ) PopLar Lombardy trees are fast growing and inexpensive!! a little pond surrounded in rocks is labor intensive but cheap... I have loads of "cheap" ideas - it just depends on your needs and your style... Heck, in some parts a busted up car with some weeds growin thru are a mity fine site !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Indiana. My front yard is small. My backyard is large and will have to wait until next year for lanscaping. I am considering dwarf fruit trees for my side yard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oooh = I just got a catalogue from gurneys - they have an online special $20 free off any order ( no min( I believe the dwarfs started at 19.99 go to www.Gurneys.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

End of season is a good time to get plants at reduced prices if you are willing to wait til then. Also put out the word among friends and co-workers that you want some plants, lots of people divide their perennials and usually end up with too many to use, so they are happy to give them away. Sometimes you'll find plants or bulbs at yard sales and maybe even some cute flower pots or other things to use in your yard. A grouping of annuals in flowerpots makes a pretty display. You could also try growing your own plants from seeds, wait til they put the seed packs on sale and then grab a pack or two of perennials and pot them and baby them along, it's a lot cheaper than buying the plants from a nursery. You can also usually get super deals on bulbs late in the planting season. Good luck and happy planting!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dwarf fruit trees sound like a great idea.

Does your local authority have a tree giveaway plan. some do and they might also have a local nursery where they grow native tree that you may buy cheaply. It's worth a phone call. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the great ideas! I am going to 'put out the word' in regards to perennials. The local tree authority does a free tree giveaway every spring. They usually give out maples, oaks, etc. My front yard is too small for these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It might pay to ask if the tree authority has any smaller trees. If not, get a tree of the larger variety and see if you can swap it for a smaller tree with your friends and neighbours.