My Garden Today

Thread: My Garden Today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My Garden Today

I was at the used bookstore the other day and found a great little -never used- garden diary. It was a little 3-ring binder with pockets for all sorts of things. I thought it was so cute and wanted to buy it, but the mother in me prevailed and I ended up buying a boatload of Little Golden Books for my book-obsessed toddler instead. So you will all have to put up with my notes here! (And maybe I'll x-post to HG.)

I decided that with a very active 2-yr old, a small square foot garden (with some extras) would be the way to go. So far I have two blocks built, and I plan to build a 3rd this year, with more to come in the future. I will also be growing some things in pots and outside the blocks.

I planted 16 onions (started from seed) this morning, as well as four decent-sized lettuce starts, also started from seed. I already have a few blocks of spinach, peas, and lettuce planted. I am also planting cucumbers (straight 8 and lemon) tomatoes (cherry, oregon spring, and delicious) leeks, several hot and sweet pepper varieties, corn, beans and a few other things in the blocks.

Potatoes, watermelons, pumpkins, and more peas will be started outside the blocks, and probably some other plants. The potatoes are only because I have some very-sprouted round white potatoes that I put aside when I noticed they were so sprouted. I know store bought isn't really the way to go with potatoes, but I don't want to waste them, so I don't expect much of them.

Carrots, tomatoes, and peppers will also be going in containers. I haven't decided yet where I am going to put my strawberries. I have only had limited luck with the seeds (but truthfully, they haven't gotten the TLC they need- none of the late-start plants have.) I will buy some plants if I can't get the seeds off to a good start soon. I may also be buying blueberries from next door as my dwarf top hats from Gurney's have never really even grown.... Th grapes REALLY need pruning, but I think I will try to get DH to do it.

I transplanted a lot of my seedlings into larger containers this morning as I still have about 4 weeks to go before the last frost here. I used 1-lb strawberry containers for some of them, cutting off the top and lining with coffee filters to kee4p the dirt in.

I also divided off one rhubarb start. It was off to the side of the larger plant (there are two) and it looked like a whole plant itself, still small enough to divide, so I divided it and hopefully both plants will suvive unscathed. The large stalks on the main plant will be ready for harvesting very soon- I'd say this weekend or next at the latest the way they are growing!

In a little while, I am going to divide some hostas for a friend who built a house last fall. I know a lot of people say this isn't the ideal time for dividing hostas, but I always divide in early spring and they never suffer any ill results. I am dividing up the Hulk (giant hosta by my walkway) for the third time in four years- it is HUGE!

I havent't decided where my herbs are going yet, but I have a nice little herb garden book that shoulds help me decide, and I will also get some flower seeds and seedlings out soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've got a great plan here. Can't wait to hear more about it in the coming days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am looking forward to reading more about your gardening adventure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Kimberly, you've been busy! Loved reading about your day & look forward to more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As I posted at HG, I'm really looking forward to further installments on your garden, Kimberly! I'm totally intrigued by the square foot garden idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kimberly, it's always interesting to me to read about how other women garden. I like the sound of your garden, very functional and with great potential.

Just a word on the potatoes. The reason you generally plant certified seed potatoes is that they are guaranteed virus-free. Potatoes are prone to virus disease and if they are affected they'll have brown patches in them and will be unedible. HOWEVER! Store bought sprouted potatoes often come out perfectly fine - they may be virus-free, your soil might be virus-free and you may get a great harvest of potatoes from your sprouts. I hope you do. Let us know what happens.

BTW, is Maggie a gardener too?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda-
    Yes, I am taking chances with the potatoes. I am just going to stick them in a corner of the garden and see what happens. I consider it an experiment, much like the carrot/tomato experiment. If I get a nice little crop of potatoes, then so much the better.

Haven't gotten out into the garden yet today, but I will soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda, I forgot to answer your question. Here is your answer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

awww, what a sweet picture of a lovely daughter. Thanks for sharing that with us, it made my day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've been busy. I divided my hostas in the spring (last year) and didn't have any problems either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kimberly, the pic of your daughter is wonderful! I love the gloves! You could use this to make one of those "create your own" calendars for a grandparent gift!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like an excellent plan Kimberly! I love the helper, she's adorable!