Down on the Homestead September 18th-September 25th
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Down on the Homestead September 18th-September 25th

Good morning homesteaders.

I've had a busy day today.  I'm gradually reinstalling my programs onto my computer after getting it back from the technician.  I had a very destructive virus.  So I'm reinstalling and learning a couple of new programs, plus I'm being very organised in the way I store my files.  One of the programs helping me do this is a program from Google called Picasa.  It's a graphics program that helps you edit and organise you photos or graphics files.  it's very good.  Here's the link to the free download: http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Today was also a cooking day.  I currently have some tomato chutney cooking that I'll add to my stockpile. I've made about 6 jars.  I've also made some Anzac biscuits/cookies, DH and DS will be pleased when they see them sitting in the mason jar on the bench.   It's DH's birthday tomorrow so DS and I are going into the city to buy him a gift.  We'll go to Aldi on the way home to pick up a few things and then Shane is going to mow the lawns/harvest the grass for us and stay for a birthday dinner of roast pork and vegetables and coffee cheesecake.  It'll be a good day to catch up with what's happening in his life.

We finally found what was making our cat Hettie so sick.  She had a huge engorged tick on her neck.  We doused it with kerosene last night and got it off with tweezers this morning.  Poor Hettie is quite ill and not eating but I'm sure she'll recover now the tick's gone.

We are having fish pie for dinner. I made enough for two nights yesterday so I only have to heat it up and add a salad.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning!

Today is cleaning up day, because I was so lazy yesterday and didn't do anything but read and nap. Need to fill the birdfeeders, do laundry, clean the bedroom, fill birdbath. I put a roast in the crockpot, will add potatoes and carrots later.

I had a nice three day weekend, now it is back to the grind tomorrow. Went to the library yesterday, and picked up some books, will let you know how they are after I read them.

We were going to go to the beach, but decided to go next weekend. DD has a small cold, and my head is stuffed up.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Rhonda - I hope your kitty is feeling better, give her a hug for me!

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

G'morning everyone.

On our homestead it's quiet this morning. Gripey is out shocking the pool, enjoying the cool air and all the butterflies. We have a swarm of butterflies out there today. Our hummingbirds are back, after we thought they'd gone which was a great surprise.

We don't have much planned for the day. I think I may work on my goals and plans for the upcoming week. I need to do some organizing of my time. I've been planning on beginning a project of re-doing a bedroom set that I bought a couple of years ago with the intent of redoing it for dd#2's bedroom. I wanted to do some other projects first but it's number is up now....lol. I'm actually very excited about it. I'm a great one to line projects up and they have to wait their turn....which is kinda goofy but that's just me. I've always got another one waiting in the wings.
    *ETA* If I live long enough and IF I quit lining up more of them, I'll get them all done. Perhaps I should start planning for my retirement now and stop lining anymore up, concentrate on getting them all done and by that time I'll be ready for the rocking chair.

We'll be spending some time with our friend Angie this week as well.

Noticed this morning that our old cat Sheba can't jump up on the hot tub anymore to get to her feed bowl. We have to keep it up high so the dog doesn't eat it. I've moved it to the patio table now so that she can get up in the chair to climb on up to it. It's considerably lower than the hottub was. Makes me sad to see her getting old. Happens to the best of us I guess.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda, thanks for the link to the program. ~~~I hope your DH has a happy birthday tomorrow. We happen to share the same birthday. ~~~

Julie, hope your DD gets better.

Lisa, sorry to hear about your cat not being able to jump as high as she used too.

Been a busy day around here today. DH had to work today. Got up early to make him breakfast and pack his lunch.

Dakota had a friend spend the night last night. Fixed a big breakfast for them, Richard, and Chris. After cleaning that up, I think they started eating again and made more messes. He was a good kid though and wasn't any problem so that was a plus.

I started mowing the yard last night and only finished the front and some of the back. I finally finished it up this morning. I had the boys help me move the dog kennel. We are replacing the dog house as well. Richard is painting the new one that Chris made. Richard made the old one and it has seen better days. Did some other things out in the yard as well.

While mowing I found a new pet........not one that I plan on keeping or even catching!! A snake slithered past. YIKES! I do not like snakes so this freaked me out! I screamed a few times I am sure!! I haven't seen a snake around here in a few years. I am going to the feed store on my next trip into town to pick up some snake repellent. I didn't kill it because it disappeared. Maybe it will keep moving on to a new house and leave mine. It was near the front porch which really freaks me out. I don't even want to open the door for fear it will be sitting there.

I have caught up on all my laundry....folded, but still need to put away. Will do that later.

I have bread baking. Was going to do that yesterday, but didn't get around to it. Love the smell of it.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a beautiful day we have going here. Its sunny, with gentle breezes and in the high teens. Can't complain about that at all. (Roughly 65F).

We had a busy although wonderful weekend. The kids and I headed into the city early Sat. morning. I did some shopping, then headed over to the new quilting store. Not a good thing. I ended up purchasing some material, joining a BOM and doing a $10 quilt.

Yesterday we headed over to the bird sanctuary. Its a bit too early for the birds to be there though. The weather was perfect, so we walked, almost 2 miles. I'm back into walking mode - no bugs and cooler temps makes for perfect walking.

Today has been busy. So far I've done:

~2 loads of laundry and hung it out to dry. I have one more load to do yet.
    ~ground up enough grain to make 4 loaves of bread. Its done and the house smells so good.
    ~dug up the rest of the potatoes
    ~worked with the kids on their schooling
    ~managed to get 15 mins. of quilting done

Later its over to the post office to clean, go for my daily walk and then home to read. Somewhere in there, I have to get supper made and fold some clothes.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello everyone. Happy birthday Michelle.

I had a wonderful day yesterday with my son Shane. We drove into the city to buy a birthday gift for my DH - we got a nice jumper/sweater @ 50% off. He loved it. When we came home, Shane mowed the lawns and I started cooking for the birthday feast. I'd already made a coffee cheescake so it was just a matter of preparing their roast pork and vegetables. I had an avocardo salad. I set the table with my best white linen table cloth, candles, flowers etc and when we sat down to eat, the phone started ringing - DS Kerry rang from Canada, my sister rang from Sydney and DH's son rang from the other side of town. Finally we could talk to DH, I started serving the cheesecake and coffee and his sister rang from Germany. It was good of all of them to wish DH a happy brithday though.

Today I'm writing, doing floors and tidying up the greenhouse. I also have a few seeds I need to plant.

Michelle, I hope that snake doesn't come back.

Julie, are you still getting lots of birds at your feeders?

Lisa, I always like looking at your photos. I hope you post some of your latest project.

CJ, sounds like you had a busy weekend. I hope you get a bit more time for quilting.

Hi to all who follow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rhonda, I'm glad that your dh had a great birthday. Too bad your nice dinner was interrupted but how wonderful that he got all the phone calls that he did.
    I will be posting some photos of my bedroom suite, as it turns out it's too hot to work in the barn on it today but it should be cooler at the end of the week. I plan to start on it then.

Today I've been a busy bee. So far I've:
    ~done 5 loads of laundry and put it all away
    ~cleaned out the fridge
    ~done the floors
    ~made the bed

Gripey and I had lunch out of the fridge and pantry. We'll be grilling steaks for supper and having some fresh from the garden squash and maybe even some armadillo eggs.

I'm disappointed that it's too hot to work on my bedroom suite but I've managed to do a couple of other small tasks instead. I've used a wire brush on that treadle stand that I bought a while back and I've since sprayed it with a coat of polyurethane spray to keep the rust from become rust dust in the house. Now I need to make a base from some board and paint it and decide the dimensions that I want the marble to be cut for the top. I'll have to make a trip into the city to have that scrap marble cut and the cuts will cost me a total of $40. I paid $20 for the stand so my table will cost have cost me $60. Not too bad I think. Anyway I've also made a mat for an old frame that I had in the storage building, for an old picture that we bought a copy of on a trip a while back. Now I need to work on another picture frame for another old picture. I'll eventually get all these pictures matted and framed and hung. The latter is a bubble glass frame that I'm going to paint and put a pic of my dmom and her mom and dad and brother when mom was a baby. I'll hang it in my white bedroom.

I hope everyone is having a great day on their homesteads.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We got back last night from a wonderful weekend in Ohio. We drove out on Friday afternoon and arrived late Friday night and came back Sunday morning after breakfast and arrived around 5ish. It's a 7.5 hour drive and the kids were fabulous.

We stayed with my college roommate and her husband and son. We thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The purpose of the trip was to attend a different friend's wedding, so my roommate and her family babysat Julia and Patrick while Rob and I went to the wedding. All in all it was a great weekend, and the added bonus was that DeeDee sent us home with two laundry baskets and two large trash bags full of clothes for Patrick that her son has outgrown. Patrick is now fully dressed until age 6!

Today I went in for my 3 hour glucose test which wound up being a four hour test. I went in at 8 and starting then, they drew blood every hour until the last draw at 12. 2 times it was 1 vial, 2 times it was 4 vials. (They also did a secondary test while I was there) Results should be in later in the week.

Then, since I had the day off, I went to the post office and mailed out some stuff I sold online. I went to Town Hall and signed up for the town-wide garage sale. The fee went down and was only $15. I know we'll make that back and then some, so I paid the fee and signed us up!

I spent the rest of the day getting out the fall decorations and setting aside garage sale stuff and doing laundry. I also spent a good deal of my time needlepointing a project that I'll be giving to my father for Christmas this year. It's of our college. I think he'll be pleased.

I hope everyone else had great days!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good afternoon!

Rhonda - I'm still getting the birds, but I think my big dog has chased away my squirrels, they only come out once in a while.

Had a long day at work today, 10 hours. So, I will be going to bed early tonight. I'm going to get everything ready for in the morning, so that I can sleep in until 5AM.

I'll check in tomorrow.

Have a nice evening!

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone. Were having some beautiful weather here for this time of the year. By the first day of fall, we've usually had a few frosts. We've had 2, however just a light frost. Didn't even freeze the flowers yet.

I'm not feeling well again today, so I have to cancel music lessons for this afternoon. I'm just going to make it a day of rest. This being sick is no fun whatsoever.

I do hope I can get in my walk sometime today. I'm also walking to the po now when I go to clean.

Hope everyone has a nice Tues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning homesteaders.

CJ, I hope you feel better soon.

The weather is perfect here now. We are having those days when you can walk around outside with bare arms and you feel neither hot nor cold. I'm trying to get into the habit of watering my garden once a week - on a Sunday, but today I have to do a little bit of spot watering. I didn't get to my seeds yesterday either, so I'll do that this morning.

The rest of the day I'll be baking bread, I have one load of laundry, and I need to clean the bathroom. After that I'll be writing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone. Our weather continues to be nice. Yesterday it was +22C here which is awesome for this time of the year. The sun is shining again this morning.

I've got the kids started with their school work and in a few minutes I'll do my 15 min. walk to the post office to pick up the mail. Later tonight I'll also walk to the post office to clean it.

Not sure what I'm doing today other than baking bread. For sure I'll be in my sewing room working on dd's Christmas quilt. I need to get the top done so that I can hand quilt it and have it done by Christmas.

I also need to start on other Christmas gifts. Were already getting close to the end of Sept. I don't want to be rushed in Dec. We've decided not to do any craft sales this year and wait until next year instead.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GOOD MORNING.
    It has been a while. My job keeps me pretty busy, and with working evenings, I also have to take care of the day stuff here.
    DH took a deer feeder and turned it in to a chicken feeder with a few modifications. It works really well, we just have to come up with a good combination of corn chops to lay mash.
    This week I have had to buy a refridgerator, and a room air conditioner. The fridge was 25 years old, and the air was 10. It is just irritating that they went out the same week.
    I have not had the time to work my flower garden. I hope to do so this week-end, BUT with this hurricane, I may have to work. The place where I work is taking in 20 patient/refugees from the coast. We will see. If I lose the weekend, I will be working for 8 or 9 days straight.
    Anyway all that being said, I still thank GOD that I even have a job.
    Everyone have a good day, week, weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good afternoon to all.

We have been busy watchint Hurricane Rita. If it stays on its projected path we will be in its path. I am not sure I am ready for it, but I guess I better get there.

I have some things to gather up and make sure we have enough of other things just in case it does keep coming this way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Morning ladies.

I'm going to the hairdresser this morning. Yuck. I'll also go to the library while I'm out then come home and do the normal chores. This afternoon, I'll write.

Michelle, I hope you and your family stay safe.

Cathy, good to see you back.

CJ, I hope you get time for your Christmas quilt and gifts.

Hi Julie and Amy, I'm guessing your busy with work. Lisa, I bet you're working on your project.

Hi to all who follow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast