Down on the Homestead November 27th-December 3rd - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby didn't get the clean up done last night because a storm was blowing in so he'll have to finish that tonight, along with some other things.

I got everything on my list done except the seed stash. I'll get that done tonight. Other than that and normal house cleaning, I doubt I'll get much else accomplished. Today feels like a lazy day!

Oh, we have a batch of laying hens (free) that are being given to us--gotta pick those up soon and need to get some nests ready for them.

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just finished up ds's homeschool lesson and are about to have lunch. This afternoon I want to get 3 batches of oat muffins made and into the freezer and I'll make pizza for dinner. We got the baby's bedroom ceiling textured (skip trowel) and the walls textured (orange peel) so dh hopes to get home at a decent time and start priming them. I need to dig out the paint chip sample to give to dh so he can pick up the paint tomorrow. What gets accomplished other than that depends on my energy level. It's supposed to be in the 80's here today, but so far we have a nice breeze and it looks like it is going to rain.

Have a great day everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello ladies!

I'm here and have been reading but not posting. I've been busy with a visiting friend. She'll be gone tomoorw so I'll be back then.
    Take care everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I woke up this morning to a malfunctioning furnace. It has trouble when the outside temperature goes below freezing. The outside unit can't figure out how to defrost itself, so I have to turn on the AC for about 15 minutes, then go back to heat. It's quite inconvenient. I called around and have a guy coming tomorrow afternoon. Tonight will be tough. We do still have 2 baseboard heaters on the walls. Dh is going to see if either of them is still wired, and if so, we'll use those through the night. Dh and I have an electric blanket, but the kiddos might get cold. Dd2 will wear zip-up footy PJ's, but dd1 is a "nakey" sleeper.

So to combat the problem today, I've been baking. I made rolls and I may have made hamburger buns (we'll see if they turn out). I also have cut up about half my pumpkins and am doing a combo of steaming them and baking them (then pureeing and freezing). In between, I'm roasting the pumpkin seeds. I'm going to offer them to the ducks, but if they don't like them, I know the wild birds will eat them. The kids don't care for them, and I don't have the patience to pick them open. I already have lots of saved seeds from last year (that's where these pumpkins came from).

While I was in the kitchen, I also hardboiled some eggs. I now only have 22 fresh eggs (not including the boiled ones). It's nice to have lots of eggs again, I'm getting about 18-20 a week. During the summer, my ducks all moulted, so I was only getting about 7-10 a week. I'll have to go back over my list of ideas to use eggs. The girls had breakfast burritos for lunch. I'll probably have a salad with hardboiled egg later.

This afternoon the dd's have gymnastics. I'll work on my x-stitch while they're in class. I also have some crocheted ornaments I'm working on in the evenings. I'm going to use them for the gift exchange at dh's work party.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello everyone....

I've been MIA b/c of Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful family dinner here and really, really enjoyed it b/c there weren't as many extended family members to cook for and feed. (That may sound harsh but for the past few years I've been doing the Thanksgiving feast exclusively and it's been very hard to feed that many by myself, it's a long story but there's really noone else to chip in food, etc.. .)

Dd#2 left yesterday and Gripey and I had a lazy day around the house which was very nice. Today I've done a quick clean, to touch up what I had killed myself doing just before Thanksgiving. I exercised for 45 minutes after that and now I'm doing laundry.

While I sit here and type I'm doing the frugal hair color thing (I'm sooo glad you can't see me now ) I've got my cap on, hair pulled through and the bleach on it for highlights. Am saving myself around $40 for doing it this way.

Supper will be smothered round steak and noodles for Gripey and leftover potato soup for me. (from the leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving)

Hopefully in the next couple of days we'll get our Christmas decorations down and put up the tree and do the other decorating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by QuilterMom
    We got the baby's bedroom ceiling textured (skip trowel) and the walls textured (orange peel) so dh hopes to get home at a decent time and start priming them.
    Can you explain the orange peel thing?

Originally posted by
    Valerie in WA
    I also have some crocheted ornaments I'm working on in the evenings.
    I want to do some of those! Got any good links or are you just freestyling ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we dont open our pumpkin seeds, just eat them whole, and when i roast them i add garlic salt instead of reg salt, YUMMY.....

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by owiebrain
    Can you explain the orange peel thing?

It's a texture you apply to your walls that literally comes out looking like the peel of an orange. You can buy cans of spray at places like Home Depot or Lowe's, but dh's friend uses a spray machine called a hopper. Dh hates smooth finish walls. Orange peel is pretty popular in houses here.

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/texture.html

http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/...?poe=homestore

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone here has been very busy! I have been MIA due to holidays and Grand daughters! But what FUN!!

The Thanksgiving holiday was rather quiet but the day after I picked up DGD for the long weekend. She and I made her Christmas gifts for the family and her mommy and daddy. We made chocolate covered pretzel rods and then sprinkled them with jimmies or chopped peanuts! What a mess that 2 year old made! LOL. I took lots of photos and hope to attach them to the pretzels once they are in bags. Then we made a batch of kool aid play dough and made holiday ornaments from them. I had her make a circle one with her handprint inside as a gift for her parents. Once it drys, I will put her name and the year on it. Again, a real mess but so worth it!

On Saturday, we had a family birthday party for her. My DH can not get time off work to travel to her home for her Ohio party, so we have a second Penna. party for all the folks who live here. That way all the family gets to celebrate with her. I put out a buffet with sloppy joes, pasta and potatoe salad and a big crock pot of chicken noodle soup.

So between crafting and parties and company and of course lots of time to play, read books, sing songs and cuddle the long weekend just flew by!
    I can not WAIT until her little sister is old enough to join us!

Sunday, DH and I drove her home and got to spend time with the little one. She is almost 1 month old now and growing so fast! Just the nicest little bundle to cuddle!

Today I am really feeling lazy and unmotivated. I have a whole list of things that need doing but I am not moving to do them! I guess I just need a night off, doing a whole lot of nothing! So the plan is to load the dishwasher, get a nice long bath and curl up with a book then off to bed. Hopefully tomorrow I will be ready to do SOMETHING!
    This week, I really need to take down the fall decorations and pull out the Christmas ones. I also need to make a shopping list of the gifts that I still need to buy and a list of the cookies I need to bake. If I just manage to decorate, make those lists and clean up a bit then I will try to finish all the shopping this weekend. That will leave me the rest of the month to wrap, write and mail a few cards and bake. How are the rest of you getting everything done with the holidays approaching so quickly!

Kim, that tube quilt sounds interesting. Post a photo if you can when its done.

CJ, I love the charity quilts. You are just too kind

Darlene hang in there with that tree!
    Diane, hope the hens give you tons of eggs
    Rhonda, enjoy your company and let us know how you are
    Valerie, hope the furnace turns out to be easily and inexpensively fixed. Nothing worse...
    Lisa, you are a brave soul to color your own hair. I would end up pink or something!

Well, off to that dishwasher and then a bubble bath! YEE HAW
    Barb
    July 2014 Goals
    Grocery challenge 500.00/0
    Menu planning - 5/1
    Christmas 2014 50/0
    Swim with Dolphin Fund 100/00
    Bedroom carpet and redecorate fund 100/00

Time Goals
    Exercise 3x per week - walk/bike/boflex/dvd/yoga class 15/1

Health Goals
    Drink 32 ounce water or herbal tea daily 31 days/3
    Sleep - retire no later than 11 in bed as opposed to on chair

UFO July - Hem Maddies dress/weed flower beds again

Every little tiny bit helps to get rid of that debt

Success is not determined by how smart we are, It is determined by the decisions we make

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was a weird day. DH had surgery on his hand to remove a cyst. 10 minute operation that we waited for 2 hours to have done. Got home and all hell had broken loose at work. So after getting DH settled I went in for a couple of hours to figure out problems. Will go in early tomorrow. Otherwise it was dinner, dishes and laundry. Still behind in the laundry.
    Kellie

2014 Goals
    1. Save $150 each month from frugality
    2. Earn $1000 each month
    3. Get down to 135 by 7/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by owiebrain
    I want to do some of those! Got any good links or are you just freestyling ideas?
    They're from a book: Christmas Stitchery by Jenny Chippindale & Kate Thorp, ISBN 0-7153-9491-6. Copywrite, published, and reprinted in 1990. If your library doesn't have it, they could certainly obtain it for you through interlibrary loan....well, as soon as I return this copy to my library.

Anyway, there are three snowflakes and a pretty basket. I spent $2 at a thrift store on fake Christmas greenery to cut up and fill the basket. I'll also need to buy starch.

There's a lot more to this book. Some is crochet, some is knitting, embroidery, sewing and even a couple of paper crafts.

I just browsed that area of the library and found more books & projects than I could ever complete.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QuilterMom, thanks! We're going to texture the walls in our new house so I'm always on the look out for ideas.

Valerie, cool! I'll keep my eyes open for that one. I ended up googling today and found this site with gobs of patterns, too: http://home.inreach.com/marthac/ornaments.html

Well, I accomplished the lazy part to my day. I still need to finish those dang seeds and I need to do a bedtime cleanup. My youngest isn't staying asleep for long enough stretches for me to get much done, though. I may just wimp out, this being National Lazy Day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Diane, thanks for that link. GREAT patterns!! I'm gonna do some of these throughout the year! Love them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Goodmorning, I see I'm not the only one who has been busy lately. Don't forget to take/make time to do something nice for yourselves.
    Oh my that wood just about did me in. We moved 43 logs up a hill in a wheelbarrow with Jack pushing & me pulling it. I can't remember when I worked that hard. If it doesn't rain later I'll get some pics to post. Today weather permitting is getting out the special sawhorse type thing Jack made to cut the limbs up to fireplace length. I haul them onto the thing, hold them down and move as need be, Jack uses the saw. I won't touch the thing.
    Still have to cut down one more tree to get next years wood. Please oh please don't pick one that falls over the creek.
    Hope you all have a nice day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning!

Decided to take the day off today to take Dakota to the doctor. His shoulder has been bothering him, plus he said it hurts to breathe. I am sure it isn't anything too major, just want to have him checked.

I think since I am off today, I will get the gifts wrapped that have been sitting in the closet. Might as well use my time well.

While in town at the doctor, I need to drop 4 bags off at Goodwill, make a run to the Tobacco Junction for DH (have 3 FREE copenhagen coupons that expire tomorrow), and make a stop at CVS. I also have a prescription for Richard to pick up. Hopefully it will be ready while I am in town. I hate to travel there and it not be ready as all our shopping, etc. is done in another town since we live in a little rural town with only conivience stores in it. Oh wait, someone finally opened up a little burger shack.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast